Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Dancing with your parents

Joey, on July 12, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding reception 0 20

Will you and your spouse do any parent or grandparent dances at your reception? What do you have planned? What song or songs will you be using?

Dancing with your parents 1

Photo by Moments in Digital in Edmonton

20 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on April 25, 2019 at 17:03
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh man! Haven't talked to them about it yet!

I personally don't want to do parent dances. I think there are enough speeches and stuff that guests have to sit through, so do you really want to make them sit through you dancing with your husband, husband dancing with his mother, you dancing with your father....most guests just want the party.

My fiance thinks his mom would really want the parent dance though, so I might end up dancing with my dad after all. IT would be weird for only one of us to do it.

• Gabriella
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Gabriella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally agree!!! How did the parents handle it when you told them? We’re they on board?
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're definitely going to do a dance each with our parents (him with his mother, me with my father). As for the songs, we haven't even gotten to that point in planning! I really love the song "My Girl" for my dance with my dad, although I know it will make me cry everywhere!

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing 2 dances. The first one will be me and my mom and my fiance and his mom and then the second song will be my fiance and my mom and me and my fiance's dad.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a father daughter dance and a mother son dance Smiley smile!

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing a father daughter dance as well as a mother son dance.... to which song I have noooo idea. Probably some Italian slow song lol
    If I had my grandfather here, he passed away a month before I got engagaed (it still hurts to talk about it) I would dance with my grandfather as well but he will be there in spirt
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ll be doing a father daughter dance and a mother son dance they’ll both be cut a little short. My dad and I are dancing to Song 2 by Blur because it’s a song I used to sing bits of when I was like 2
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are skipping this. If we choose to dance with our parents I'd rather it be natural choice/ decision and not have it be the centre of attention.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg... so my dad wants us to start our dance to a nice song and then break into the Time Warp ahahahah!!!! I think I have to it would be so funny!
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same for me.

I'd be really surprised if my fiancé danced with anyone after the first dance, as it was already hard to convince him to have a first dance at all. And his parents don't dance either.

I would dance with my parents if they asked me to, but that would surprise me too, and we're not planning any special dance, so it would just be in the big group.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, I almost wanted to do away with it.

But it was important to our parents so we kept it. I'm REALLY glad we did it.

My dad and I had no real alone time that day and having a short dance with each other meant the world. We just talked the whole time and he used the opportunity to tell me he loved me. I'm glad I got that moment.

My HUSBAND (holy crap weird to say), had a rough go with his mum during the wedding planning process. They also just talked the whole time they danced and he said it was the first time in months he felt like his mum loved him.

Definitely important that we had them.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both danced with our mums to Small Bump by Ed Sheeran.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Brunch ceremony - no planned dancing.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not doing dancing at our wedding. Me and my fiancee can't dance Smiley xd otherwise we hate excess attention
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm having 2 father/daughter dances (my dad & step dad)... but my "dad" will be the 'official' one, and I'll probably have the one with my step dad a little later.

I'm juggling including both dads, as my step dad has been in my life, living in my home, and been called 'dad' by me, since I was 7. But my "Dad" has never become comfortable with knowing another man was as important as him.... I have a whole plan for the walking down the aisle, but I'm waiting a bit to drop that on my "Dad"

My FH will have a dance with his mom... maybe we'll do it at the same time as the father/daughter dance, and then he can dance with my mom while I dance with my step dad.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I might be alone in this lol. The only "special" dance I want to do is with my husband. I think its a weird tradition to dance with your parents. Like weird to make your guests stand around and watch you dance with your parents.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I already forget what song we did; my dad was super nervous about the dance so we had a short song and we had my husband dance with his mom at the same time. I think it worked well to have it that way. Made it shorter for people to sit through
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wr had mothes sons dance. Something to remember.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't have any songs pick out as of yet - but I was hoping that I would dance with my dad, and he would dance with his mom. Of course then have him dance with my mom and I will split the song to dance with his dad and step dad. Don't know the order or how to do this but it will be done! As well, I don't need a spotlight dance for it but I'm sure that I will also dance with my Mom and Baba (Grandma - Ukrainian) and so will he.

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance is dancing with his mom to simple man and I'm dancing with my dad to Zac Brown band I'll be your man.
    I never thought of a grandparent dance and my grandma is the only grandparent left on either side, it might be cute for my fiance to have a dance with her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics