Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Casey
Curious September 2019 Alberta

Dad and Step-dad dance??

Casey, on July 18, 2018 at 23:28 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Hey all!

So- my step-dad was the person who helped my mom raise me into who I am today, however, my biological dad (who's family I am very close to) and I are finally trying to repair our estranged relationship.

That being said- I'm not sure if I should do a song for each of my Dads or half of 1 song for each? ? I'm not really sure how to handle this and have it be a smooth transition because most weddings have the one song for the one dad and it's done. I'm trying to make them both feel important.

Thanks everyone!!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on July 24, 2018 at 10:28
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think both options work but if you really want to highlight each of them individually then I would do 2 separate songs.

• Casey
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was thinking of having them both walk me down and then dance with both just because then I dont have to deal with any discussions of fairness Smiley laugh
  • Amanda
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m in the same boat as you. My step father raised me. I am having him walk me down the isle and I’ve picked a song for him and i but nothing for my father I only want to include him so I don’t upset my family. It’s just not worth the argument. I don’t know what I want to do it’s a hard decision
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go with what you want, but from my experience with dance and instructing unless you are all have some experience dancing already, the smoother transition will be with two songs. The switch off point will be easier to find.

• T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dad and step dad are walking me down the aisle but the bride and father dance I’m letting my dad have.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can 2 dances since it matters to you. Choose the way you want to do it. Choose 2 songs and get it done so which father dances first and then switch up to the next father to the second song. Arrange the timing and when to step in for the smooth transition.
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This might be something to talk to your mom about?

I was MOH for my best friend and she had a very similar situation. She opted for the one dance with her biological father, but I think there is nothing wrong with having one with each, if that is what you want.

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Originally i was going to do that, half with my dad first while my FH dances with his Mom, then we would switch half way, he would dance with my mom and i would dance with my step dad. (his dad is in no condition to dance, so likely wont be insulted that i didn't dance with him)

Im still not sure if thats the route i want to go with it, as there are some family issues i think id rather keep out of the wedding for my sake of mind. I might come to a decision a week or so before.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could do both. It's your wedding so you can choose what's best for you. I'm doing 2 songs for mine. 1 for me and my mom and the other for me and my fiance's dad. During those two songs my fiance will be dancing wit his mom and then the second song he will be dancing with my mom. Not traditional but that's okay Smiley smile

• C
    Newbie May 2025 Ontario
    Cheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why don't you have one walk you down the aisle and the other do the father daughter dance. A friend of mine did that and neither one felt less then the other. Good luck.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics