Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Devoted July 2020 Ontario

Covid-19 Ontario- Mini Honeymoon & Beaches?

Amanda, on May 26, 2020 at 20:22 Posted in Honeymoon 0 28
Has anyone read at what phase beaches will open in Ontario? I read some of the beaches up by Muskoka are/have opened to trial how things go. The reason I am asking is because we are still planning to get Married in July and had planned to stay at a small hotel/cottage near the beach the night of the wedding before (hopefully) going camping for our honeymoon since our original honeymoon has been postponed but if we cant go to the beach then that means we're just hanging out in our room..

I guess I'm hoping someone has read something more than I have about what phase beaches are planned to be open in. If it's not until phase 3 then I know we for sure wont be able to go to a beach with the way things are currently going around here so we will look into staying elsewhere. Besides knowing we are getting married everything else is up in the air which drives me crazy lol.
Feedback?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on June 6, 2020 at 07:10
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Footprints sounds like it's up our alley. I will check It out, thank you! Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Check out Hockley Valley Resort near Orangeville. I've been there for a conference and it's nice. Spa facilities are closed but they're open for RMT massages and they have golf if the mister or yourself are into that. The restaurant is also open for takeout so it would be like breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed hahaha.

If you want the beach, check out Footprints Resort near Peterborough. It's a private adults only resort that feels like camping. They have a pond, kayaks, a small beach, and barbecue pits to cook food. I took my fiancee there for her birthday weekend and she loved it.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that's what we were thinking. Any you'd suggest?
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha, maybe try for a spa in a major hotel?
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You're right it is pricey 😅. It looks awesome there though!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just a fair warning, Ste Anne's is PRICEY but if you have health insurance, a portion of it could be claimed. There are also tons of other similar resort style spas all across the province.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally makes sense they would close the beaches (even though it sucks). I forgot about Ste Anne's, I'll look it up Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just looked it up, it's beautiful! Unfortunately there isnt any availability for the dates we were looking for but it's on my list of places to visit now Smiley smile.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! We are trying to find a cottage on a beach. I know Airbnb's arent guaranteed right now- they can only book out to people who need accommodations for work so we have one booked currently but that will fall through if things stay the same.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Spas have been given the okay to open by their respective association as long as they follow certain protocols. Ste Anne's is reopening mid-June.

Cobourg is taking preemptive action against GTA tourists by closing beaches for the whole summer. I wouldn't be surprised if more towns follow suit.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7013149/coronavirus-cobourg-victoria-beach/

• Ashley
    Newbie July 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married in July as well and we are having a small intimate wedding and then going to Whispering Springs. It's not a beach but it could be another alternative. We originally wanted to go to a spa when we were trying to think of local options but we can't even count on them being open.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Both. Beaches in Toronto are considered parks and we still can't use a lot of the amenities like splash pads and playgrounds or the parks for any high level of physical activity (no team sports for example). People are allowed to walk or bike through the park, or sit and chill on green space but they have to maintain physical distancing with those not living in their house. Our beaches, along with certain parks, have been problematic with people physical distancing during the warm weather (look up Trinity Bellwoods). That being said, bylaw officers have been picky on who they're fining, often only going for easy low hanging fruit.

Beaches that are part of provincial parks, like those in Muskoka, are still closed and emergency orders enforced by OPP. But if you find a private property not within a campground, resort, or provincial park (ie a cottage with it's own private beach next to a pond), I think you'll be okay.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The beaches aren't closed in Toronto, or are people ignoring the signs?
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hope so!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

NO CLUE. but i know in toronto people have been going to beaches and keeping distance. so maybe since youll be going up north you might be ok!! but just keeping checking the news daily thats what im doing

• Kate-Lynn
    Frequent user October 2022 Manitoba
    Kate-Lynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The beaches in my area are open again. It may happen for the beaches you want.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I came across that article yesterday and actually had to find more to back it up because I didnt believe what I was reading lol. We are actually making a list of backcountry parks near us right now so it will be our back up if car camping isn't allowed. We actually had planned to do a backcountry canoe trip before all this happened so now we can revisit the idea again Smiley smile.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Funny you mentioned thousand island because it was on our list of places to visit if we are able to go camping. I hear its beautiful there; glad you have found something close to home to enjoy Smiley heart
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So it appears everything I said is now starting to not be a thing.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-now-considering-regional-approach-to-reopening-the-province-1.4960136

Beaches are still closed but they are considering opening provincial parks if that's something to consider.

• Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've had a little change of heart. Rather than going somewhere so far and new to us during Covid, we're now looking at a little close to home - Thousand Islands National Park. We can make use of the outdoors like we love to and also visit some little tourist spots along the St. Lawrence.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fingers crossed we can both find something! Smiley smile I haven't done a ton of searching but so far the only things I've found are rooms/cottages that are 600+/night and I just can't justify that for a single night.
  • Haylee
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Haylee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing the same thing as you! I really hope they give us a concrete update soon. I really can't imagine not being able to go to the beach at all this summer. We haven't set any honeymoon plans but maybe we can still find a cottage on a lake or river that we could swim in. That's always an idea?

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right?! I dont enjoy grocery shopping (not that I ever really did..) right now because people really dont seem to understand distancing; people seemed to have gotten more lax in the last couple weeks.

That's a great idea! I will look into it thank you!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hear ya! I would even settle for not feeling uneasy when I'm window shopping or getting some food outside.

Good luck with honeymoon planning. Maybe instead of a beach, you can go to some kind of local all-inclusive resort like Ste Anne's.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the update, I hadn't seen that yet. I understand everyone just wants to get out of their houses but damn I just want this whole thing to be over with so we can maybe get back to summer festivals and travelling next summer. I wish people would stop thinking "this doesn't apply to me." Smiley sad

Thanks for your feedback Hank & Amelia!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's what the smaller municipalities, like Kingston, want but our Premier has said over and over that he won't allow it because that just means Toronto hordes would rush out to these places. And I can't blame him. If the crowd at Trinity Bellwoods this past weekend is any indication, there are certain people here who just refuse to abide by the rules (inevitable, being the country's most populated city).

And just as I predicted, the province extended State of Emergency.

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/5/ontario-extending-emergency-orders-during-covid-19-outbreak.html

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was reading an article about Ontario shifting their restrictions to the areas with higher cases (Toronto mostly) and that the rest of the province might get a little more freedom. So that could be good news!
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Private beaches, ie. resorts and campgrounds, can open only to prepare for the season, but not for people to use at the moment. As long as the state of emergency is in effect, beaches will remain closed. Their reopening is is not associated with any particular stage. Basically if Doug Ford keeps extending his State of Emergency (and he likely will as it gives him certain powers that he otherwise wouldn't be able to enact), beaches must remain closed. Not to mention he has stated over and over that he won't entertain the idea of tiered/partial reopenings so if Toronto keeps spiking, the whole province will have to stay put.

Sorry. Probably not the answer you're looking for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics