Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynne
Curious June 2022 Quebec

Concerned about effects of pandemic on upcoming wedding?

Lynne, on March 15, 2020 at 18:12 Posted in Before the wedding 1 53
Is anyone getting married soon and concerned about the Coronavirus pandemic?

53 Comments

Latest activity by Vanny, on April 13, 2020 at 22:25
  • Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Of course it will!
  • Mackenzie
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! I am telling myself that we are getting married no matter what date. It will work out Smiley smile
  • Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were supposed to be May 23rd, but postponed to August. We are staying optimistic and hoping that this will all be over with by then. Our wedding is on the smaller side to begin so we are keeping hopeful that we will be able to get by with our guest count. On the plus side majority of the wedding planning etc was already taken care of before this turn of events so it won’t be difficult to pick back up where we left off. We’re just taking it day by day and hoping for the best outcome!
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ugh this is so frustrating!

Just remember you've found the love of your life and you two will have an amazing future together Smiley smile

• Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that's awesome of your venue!

Ours is pissing me off lol. They haven't been the best with communication and it's been US e-mailing them instead of them trying to even reach out. They're taking this month by month, and honestly I'd rather just postpone SOON because dates will be and probably have been booked fast! I'm not a fan of fall or winter weddings and have always wanted a summer wedding with an outdoor ceremony so we will most likely postpone to next summer again! I WILL have my dream wedding and what we visioned!

• Mackenzie
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're in the same boat too. We were told to wait till the end of June to postpone. We have our back up date already blocked off.
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bridal shower and bachelorette are already out of the picture Smiley sad My bride tribe told me they were all gonna meet up and plan everything literally the weekend all the closures started.

And same! Before COVID we planned to send out invitations in May, and our engagement shoot was supposed to be in May as well Smiley sad

When will you guys officially postpone?

• Mackenzie
    Mackenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm getting married the same day and we are leaning towards postponing as well. We haven't even had the chance to send out or invitations yet and I still need my dress fitted and the guys need their suits as well. At this point we already made up our minds to postpone to next June so we aren't rushing to get things done and rush my bridal party and such.
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally free of charge Smiley smile they just hung on to the deposits we had paid to date and rebooked us for next summer. They were also willing to let us wait it out until May and either reschedule then or receive a full refund if it was clear we couldn’t go forward this summer. Ultimately we decided to just bite the bullet in March because available 2021 dates were dwindling.

I hope your venue is just as accommodating if you and your FH do decide to postpone!! Let us know how things work out!
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is exactly what my fiancé and I have been feeling + other reasons why we should just go ahead and postpone. Our wedding is on August 8 and we are leaning more towards the postponement. Was your venue accomodating when you decided to postpone or you were charged a certain fee?
    I'm sorry your wedding won't happen this year but like you said -- an extra year to plan and save!
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another August 2020 bride here. A couple of weeks ago, my FH and I made the difficult choice to postpone until August 28, 2021. At the time I felt we were being overly cautious but each day I become more and more confident that we made the right call. As hard and sad as it was, I felt an instant sense of relief. For me, the uncertainty was unbearable. We are also taking advantage of the additional time to save, splurge for a couple cute extras, re-evaluate our priorities, etc. There is a silver lining.

In terms of the "why" of it all, concern for our guests was obviously a huge motivating factor. A fair number of our ~170 person guest list are seniors and/or traveling from out of province or country. We just couldn't justify asking them to sacrifice their personal comfort or safety to travel/attend a large gathering, deal with the financial pressure of traveling to attend a wedding, etc. All of the predictable reasons basically. We also wanted to get a head start on the inevitable wave of 2020 rebookings still to come (we came in just under the wire - we snagged the last available Saturday at our venue next summer. Surprisingly there was also only one Sunday left). Selfishly, I also didn't want the current state of affairs to taint the lead up to our special day!

All that said, our venue and the majority of our vendors were absolute heroes and agreed to the date change with no financial penalty. I would probably be singing a different tune if we were dealing with less empathetic people. We were definitely fortunate in this regard and I know everyone's situation is different.

TL;DR, if it's a possibility for you, you may make peace with postponing more quickly than you think. For everybody still holding out (for whatever reason), I'm sending you lots of good vibes and truly hope things take a 180.

• Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    August 8! I think we're leaning more and more towards postponing. Tired of people suggesting to "wait and see". Even if things get lifted around summer time we wouldn't have had finalizations done and wouldn't even be ready for the wedding. Our plans have completely been derailed
  • Sara
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m on the same boat as you. Original date was April 4 and postponed to July 3 and now I’m still wondering if the new date is a no go ;(
  • Maura
    Newbie September 2020 Alberta
    Maura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, we are getting married on July 😔😔
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg our wedding is August 8!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im really hoping we dont have to postpone we are aug.

• A
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married August 9 2020, and recently decided to elope in light of the pandemic. It was just too much for us to continue on with the planning. Long story short, we now are trying to get out of our original date with the venue (in Toronto), and figured if anyone is looking to move their date to August we would happily offer our date/venue. Ideally we don't lose our deposit, but even if that's the case we can live with it if someone else can utilize the day for their own.

• Jalisa
    Newbie August 2025 Ontario
    Jalisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I have decided to post pone our wedding until August 2021. We just feel very unsettled right now trying to continue planning our big day. Not to mention we are worried about how our family from around the world will be able to attend. We do still plan to get married this August, but it will be very small and intimate, no reeption.

• J
    Beginner June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jordan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No it didnt. We postponed until June with no penalties from any vendor nor did we have to change a single rental item. I'm now afraid we didnt postpone far enough away.
  • Kallei
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Kallei ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Did your wedding happen?
  • Chelsye
    Newbie June 2021 British Columbia
    Chelsye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ours is June 13 and we made the decision today to move to June 2021. We have just been too worried about everything going on in the world to even think about continuing to plan our wedding. Too much uncertainty! We are still going to legally get married on June 13 and are just moving the wedding itself to next year.

• Stephanie
    Newbie September 2020 British Columbia
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm getting married Sept 26th at Manning Park in BC...

I'm starting to wonder if we should reschedule in case BC is still under a health advisory. I've been reading and hearing that Canada is expected to be in "social distancing mode" for 4-6 months.

I'm thinking about the safety of our guests. Our wedding requires everyone travel between 2-6 hours and stay overnight (we're covering most accommodations). Also, 80% of the 60 guests will be sleeping in one large cabin. I was thinking about sending out a survey to the guests asking how they feel about committing to wedding in 6 months based on the current global climate. Any suggestions on how to word such a survey/should I even do it?!

Any food for thought welcomed!!! My fiance really doesn't want to change the plan to make a smaller affair, however, he would be up for rescheduling to next year (but we still sign papers and get legally married Sept 26th).

Thank you Smiley smile

• Melissa
    Beginner June 2021 New Brunswick
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our big day is June 6...still unsure of what things will be like by then but we’re taking it day by day and hoping things soon start to settle down. Very stressful and heartbreaking to think about for sure.
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just made the decision to cancel. It was not fair for our guests to wait much longer to make the decision. We are still getting married but a lot less formal and no reception
  • Melina
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Melina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey! If your venue has no intentions of closing (as of now), I say continue with your wedding. The venue I’m sure is taking every precaution as anywhere else is, and if you all continue to wash your hands often then all should be good. However as your guests are coming in from out of the country, they may not be able to fly in at all. I’d say check with them first then contact the venue. Good luck with everything!
  • K
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Kathryn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is May 23, 2020 in Toronto. Our venue has had to close as of today (it's a brewery) and I'm worried about family not being able to travel here from Europe.

Our vendors are very accommodating and have no problems with us postponing at no extra charge. I was thinking of holding a small ceremony at home with local family members and then deciding on a new date for the reception once everything is back to normal.

It's really uncertain times and it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has been agonizing over this!

• Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is April 25, I'm getting a little worried at this point.. we can postpone the wedding but to be honest if it comes down to it and we HAVE to cancel we will probably cancel completely, still get married that day and take the loss of whatever. Save the money. But I hope it does not come to that I wasnt worried until basically everything here in alberta started to shut down. Our venue has been very understanding and has stated there are no plans to cancel any events at this time.
  • Sara
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am waiting for the hall to give me dates. Maybe I’ll even do a Friday not to wait that long 😒
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not too concerned yet, we are having our wedding in September. If for some reason conditions are not cleared up our venue and vendors are very accommodating and we will reschedule.

I was also thinking of going ahead with a small group, if rescheduling is not favorable.

• Lindsay
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So my fiancé and I have decided to move the wedding. We have moved it to August 21 2020. The venue isn’t going to charge us anything extra for now having a “prime wedding season wedding” which is fantastic.

Obviously we’re disappointed but we believe it’s for the best
  • Crissy
    Newbie September 2020 Alberta
    Crissy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Postponing my wedding until further notice, unfortunately I may change my dates until next summer considering I want my older family members to take part but not pose a risk to their health. Health over anything, but now I can save and spend more on our special day haha
  • Lina
    Newbie April 2022 Alberta
    Lina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm also April 18, we have 58 guests so far. But a few immunocompromised. I'm very worried as things seem to not be getting better. I don't have advice yet, I just see we are in the same boat and I empathize.
    We will be speaking with our venue today or tomorrow and deciding soon.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics