Lynne
Curious May 2020 Quebec

Concerned about effects of pandemic on upcoming wedding?

Lynne, on March 15, 2020 at 18:12 Posted in Before the wedding 1 37
Saved Save
Reply
Is anyone getting married soon and concerned about the Coronavirus pandemic?

37 Comments

  • A
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Alana ·
    • Dispute

    We are getting married August 9 2020, and recently decided to elope in light of the pandemic. It was just too much for us to continue on with the planning. Long story short, we now are trying to get out of our original date with the venue (in Toronto), and figured if anyone is looking to move their date to August we would happily offer our date/venue. Ideally we don't lose our deposit, but even if that's the case we can live with it if someone else can utilize the day for their own.

    • Reply
  • Jalisa
    Newbie August 2021 Ontario
    Jalisa ·
    • Dispute

    My fiance and I have decided to post pone our wedding until August 2021. We just feel very unsettled right now trying to continue planning our big day. Not to mention we are worried about how our family from around the world will be able to attend. We do still plan to get married this August, but it will be very small and intimate, no reeption.

    • Reply
  • J
    Beginner June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jordan ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    No it didnt. We postponed until June with no penalties from any vendor nor did we have to change a single rental item. I'm now afraid we didnt postpone far enough away.
    • Reply
  • Kallei
    Newbie September 2020 Alberta
    Kallei ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Did your wedding happen?
    • Reply
  • Chelsye
    Newbie June 2021 British Columbia
    Chelsye ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

    Ours is June 13 and we made the decision today to move to June 2021. We have just been too worried about everything going on in the world to even think about continuing to plan our wedding. Too much uncertainty! We are still going to legally get married on June 13 and are just moving the wedding itself to next year.

    • Reply
  • Stephanie
    Newbie September 2020 British Columbia
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute

    I'm getting married Sept 26th at Manning Park in BC...

    I'm starting to wonder if we should reschedule in case BC is still under a health advisory. I've been reading and hearing that Canada is expected to be in "social distancing mode" for 4-6 months.

    I'm thinking about the safety of our guests. Our wedding requires everyone travel between 2-6 hours and stay overnight (we're covering most accommodations). Also, 80% of the 60 guests will be sleeping in one large cabin. I was thinking about sending out a survey to the guests asking how they feel about committing to wedding in 6 months based on the current global climate. Any suggestions on how to word such a survey/should I even do it?!


    Any food for thought welcomed!!! My fiance really doesn't want to change the plan to make a smaller affair, however, he would be up for rescheduling to next year (but we still sign papers and get legally married Sept 26th).


    Thank you Smiley smile


    • Reply
  • Melissa
    Beginner June 2021 New Brunswick
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    Our big day is June 6...still unsure of what things will be like by then but we’re taking it day by day and hoping things soon start to settle down. Very stressful and heartbreaking to think about for sure.
    • Reply
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    We just made the decision to cancel. It was not fair for our guests to wait much longer to make the decision. We are still getting married but a lot less formal and no reception
    • Reply
  • Melina
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Melina ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Hey! If your venue has no intentions of closing (as of now), I say continue with your wedding. The venue I’m sure is taking every precaution as anywhere else is, and if you all continue to wash your hands often then all should be good. However as your guests are coming in from out of the country, they may not be able to fly in at all. I’d say check with them first then contact the venue. Good luck with everything!
    • Reply
  • Kathryn
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Kathryn ·
    • Dispute

    Our wedding is May 23, 2020 in Toronto. Our venue has had to close as of today (it's a brewery) and I'm worried about family not being able to travel here from Europe.

    Our vendors are very accommodating and have no problems with us postponing at no extra charge. I was thinking of holding a small ceremony at home with local family members and then deciding on a new date for the reception once everything is back to normal.

    It's really uncertain times and it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has been agonizing over this!

    • Reply
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    My wedding is April 25, I'm getting a little worried at this point.. we can postpone the wedding but to be honest if it comes down to it and we HAVE to cancel we will probably cancel completely, still get married that day and take the loss of whatever. Save the money. But I hope it does not come to that I wasnt worried until basically everything here in alberta started to shut down. Our venue has been very understanding and has stated there are no plans to cancel any events at this time.
    • Reply
  • Sara
    Beginner July 2020 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I am waiting for the hall to give me dates. Maybe I’ll even do a Friday not to wait that long 😒
    • Reply
  • Shannon
    Featured September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute

    I am not too concerned yet, we are having our wedding in September. If for some reason conditions are not cleared up our venue and vendors are very accommodating and we will reschedule.

    I was also thinking of going ahead with a small group, if rescheduling is not favorable.

    • Reply
  • Lindsay
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    So my fiancé and I have decided to move the wedding. We have moved it to August 21 2020. The venue isn’t going to charge us anything extra for now having a “prime wedding season wedding” which is fantastic.


    Obviously we’re disappointed but we believe it’s for the best
    • Reply
  • Crissy
    Newbie September 2020 Alberta
    Crissy ·
    • Dispute
    Postponing my wedding until further notice, unfortunately I may change my dates until next summer considering I want my older family members to take part but not pose a risk to their health. Health over anything, but now I can save and spend more on our special day haha
    • Reply
  • Lina
    Newbie April 2021 Alberta
    Lina ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I'm also April 18, we have 58 guests so far. But a few immunocompromised. I'm very worried as things seem to not be getting better. I don't have advice yet, I just see we are in the same boat and I empathize.
    We will be speaking with our venue today or tomorrow and deciding soon.
    • Reply

Comment on this discussion

×

Related articles