Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Missa
Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick

Colour theme, help!

Missa, on February 18, 2018 at 17:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 30
Hey everyone, i need your help.
I always envisionned my bridesmaid in a grey dress. I just can't pick my secondary colour + what color should the men wear in their suits? I am not good at this kind of thing!Thanks!

30 Comments

Latest activity by Rekramer, on February 26, 2018 at 16:18
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on what colour grey. If you’re looking at something darker, a yellow or gold can stand out beautifully. Lighter grey in the silver range, maybe something in the forest green or eggplant purple?
  • Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you everyone ! IT's definitely helped me to seek help from all of you Smiley smile

• Kris
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the gray of dresses could be great for the accents on the groomsman or a darker gray suit.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Coral is a beautiful colour with grey! I was thinking of doing coral and grey as my colours for the longest time
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My girls in a dark grey color (charcoal). For the men I think my FH decided on navy blue suites with dark grey vests to match the girls, his own tie will be red/burgundy to match my dress. I'm not 100% sure if the guys will be doing the same color or just go black for their ties.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What helped us pick our colours was my FH... I took him to a store to pick what colour suit he liked, and then showed him what actual vest/tie colours looked like on him.

We are having a winter wedding, so we ended up with navy, black, silver & white. My FH is going to wear a dark blue tuxedo with black lapels.

For August, in my opinion, dark, rich colours may be too much... but it's up to you. Silver/gray, and a light purple with maybe some dark accents, or blush with light purple, would give a very pretty, whimsical look for August.

• Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridesmaid is wearing silver and the men are wearing grey suits. but my dress is not the traditional white.

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha yeah - I totally get you. It took me less than a week to pick my ceremony venue and I didn't land on colours for a couple months - kept flip flopping back and forth.

• Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like the idea of my FH to wear a different color!! Thanks for that!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well the suit colour for the groomsmen may depend on what your FH decides to wear. I like when a groom stands out so my husband wore a grey suit while the groomsmen wore black. If you FH is wearing black then the groomsmen could wear grey or navy and then the whole colour palette is open to you for accent colours.

• Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I also love grey suits and navy shirts hahaha. I'll run the options by the fiancé and see what he thinks. Although, he`s color blind so, it will all look the same for him Im sure haha!

Oh, I think that no matter how big the wedding is, the number of details you need to think about will make you have a few nightmares haha!

Thanks for your input! I feel alot better!

• Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Can't go wrong with either of these options Smiley smile
    I'm biased because I LOVE grey suits and navy shirts.
    But definitely go for the one YOU like the most (I was reading that you were kinda falling in love with navy suits so go for it!)
    I sympathize with your lack of sleep!
    I'm 7 months out from the wedding and I had my first wedding nightmare a couple nights ago... And mine is just a smal gathering of 30 ppl :p
  • Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great choice ! With some blush and cream coloured flowers and some dusty miller. Would compliment very well Smiley smile
  • Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay thanks for validating me Smiley laugh My bridesmaid are so busy with their own lives that I don't want to annoy anyone + it seems like no one loves talking about weddings as much as future brides do, not sure why Smiley tongue

Okay so i have 2 options in my head

Light grey bridesmaid dresses + Navy suits and blush/peach flowers

Steele blue bridesmaid dresses + Light grey suits and navy shirts = same flowers.

I couldn't sleep last night i kept thinking of dresses LOL Thank god i still have a long way before the wedding!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oooh I love that idea.
    Are you thinking a light blue or a navy? The idea of light grey suits, navy shirts, and the peach/blush tones look fabulous (in my head :p)
  • Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It would give a cooler feel to the wedding.. and since I'm getting married in Aug it's a bit off season.. But grey and blue are definitely in my favorite shades. I was thinking with blush/ peachy flowers perhaps..

Who knew that picking my colours would be harder then picking my venue haha

• Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The more I think about it, the more I like navy for the suits! ! Thank you!!

• Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking burgundy as well.. who knew picking my colors would be harder than picking my venue ahha Thanks!!

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Navy or burgundy would go really well with the grey dresses !
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Navy blue has been a popular colour suit for the men to match the grey dresses with grey ties as an accent touch. Just if the guys are planning to wear the suit after your wedding for any events.
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Accidentally hit send too early. I think there's a lot of flexibility with grey definitely considered blue as a good option too.
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I struggled with this for a while too. I'm doing charcoal grey bridesmaids dresses, black tuxes for the guys, and red/burgundy accents.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess it depends on the feel you want to go for.

I've always LOVED grey (especially a lighter, more silvery grey) with ANY shade of blue. but the blue tone would give a "cooler" feel to the wedding

The plum would also be fabulous. It tends to give off a "warmer" feeling to it.

Another colour combo that I love is grey with a pale yellow --- perhaps a but more adventurous in terms of colour schemes, but it seems very "airy"/light --- really nice for an outdoor wedding

(All of these suggestions are purely opinions... I have NO formal background in colour selection Smiley tongue)

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can do tons of colour to match with gray. --Plum dress and gray suit
    -Lavender, mauve and gray u can do alternating colour for the dress

It depends on when the wedding so you can match it with the season
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Grey is one of those colours that LITERALLY anything goes with, so you should be able to pick almost anything! I'm doing a very grey theme overall and going for the classic, simple palette.

My girls will be in light grey/silvery dresses, our groomsmen are in dark grey suits and my groom is in a light grey suit. We're adding yellow flowers, pocket squares, and ties to give it a pop of colour.

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yea I think so? I'm not sure what shade of grey you'd do, if it's a light shade of grey for the girls dresses you could do a darker shade of grey for the boys.
    Or if you go for some pale blues as accent colors you could make their suits navy but I don't think navy would suit nicely of you go with plum or blush accents
  • Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you! I tend to go pinterest crazy too!! So if the girls wear grey im assuming the men should wear black suits? ( Thanks for the help, i just cant make up my mind)
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Grey and plum does sound nice! I looked up some stuff of that on pinterest too (yes, going little pinterest crazy :')) and they got some really nice examples over there! It looks really Chique / classy

https://pin.it/4gdefqxbsreplk (tho here the bridesmaid dresses are also plum, but it would totally work with them in Grey like in the lower picture with grey dresses in the next link)

https://pin.it/he4ixi5c3ztyy2
  • Missa
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do like that! I always thought of plum but maybe i could do grey blush and some light plum..
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Blush / light pink looks good with grey? You could make accents with that maybe. Or maybe different shades of grey?
    Like this:

https://pin.it/vxpfne7zrql6gh

https://pin.it/5pir7r4z3netls

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics