Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexa
Devoted July 2018 Alberta

Cocktail reception or Buffet reception?

Alexa, on December 5, 2017 at 10:35 Posted in Wedding reception 0 7
Pros and Cons of each? Can't decide which is better? Worried Cocktail Reception will run out of food since small portion sizes but it's $2-$5 cheaper depending on type of cocktail reception we choose

7 Comments

Latest activity by Breanne, on January 10, 2018 at 14:57
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Neither of us wanted the formality of a sit down dinner (hooray for no seating chart to do!). We are having lots of hors d'oeuvres and then two "action stations" where chefs will be live preparing food - one is a pasta bar and the other we're thinking Jamaican jerk chicken or tacos. We also have three types of desserts served later like the hors d'oeuvres - mini creme brulees, marscapone cheesecake and likely something chocolate.

We will have a lot of bar-top tables but also sit down tables in a separate area as well. Our venue also has a couple lounge areas with couches located in corners of the room (not out in hallway or in an anti-social space).

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend went to a cocktail wedding an said her feet were killing her by the end and she was tired by 9 lol... She said it was weird and kinda sucked not having a place to sit! just something to consider.

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Andrea! All dependent on timing.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Out of those two I prefer the cocktail reception. Buffets can be a bit over crowded. We are choosing to do a mini cocktail hour while we get our formal photos done then a sit-down dinner.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cocktail reception over buffet. Everyone gets served rather than waiting in line. Plus there are variety to choose from the tray.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do like cocktail receptions as well, but we are instead doing buffet reception, as my partner thought that it is better this way, and we make sure they everyone will be full before we start dancing.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me it would depend on the start time of the ceremony. If you're having a later start time, say 6:30 p.m., then it would be fun to do a cocktail reception since it's more of an evening affair and people can have something to eat before they come. If you're getting started earlier, I would offer a meal since people will be there for longer. I think a cocktail reception has a very fun and social vibe since you don't really have to be seated for a full meal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics