Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Curious September 2019 British Columbia

Cocktail Reception/ General advice

Sara, on November 12, 2018 at 00:39 Posted in Wedding reception 0 6

My fiance and I are planning a low key wedding and so thought a short outdoor ceremony (at the beach , right beside the restaurant) and a cocktail reception rather than a dinner would be good. I want people to mingle, have fun and feel like they get to spend time with us. I have a few things I would love some feedback on:

Rehearsal Dinner - Yes or no ? I want to open our apartment up to the immediate family/bridal party and those that have travelled far (I have some guest coming from Europe) and just have some easy take out or something. My Fiance wants to go a dinner out. We are very divided on this.

Flow of the night - Thoughts about "first look" photos ? I was thinking we would try and get a few photos ahead of the ceremony and then we can open up photos on the beach after the ceremony and before the reception to include all of the guests.

Overall advice for an anti-bride - I am very much not the one who have imagined having a wedding. I wanted to elope but the wedding is very important to my fiance. I guess I am looking for any tips on how to go with the flow and be the best bride that I can be?! hahah

Thank you everyone!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Sara, on November 14, 2018 at 18:22
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks again ladies!

My Fiance read your comments as well and we decided to do something at our place and have his mom help out with food prep (she really wants to help out and be involved so hopefully she will be open to this!) .

I think hearing what you have to say and then taking the time for us to know what is the most important for each of us is going to help us make this day /event the most special day.

I appreciate your advice!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You sound exactly like me tbh! We're having a small, casual rehearsal dinner at our condo with immediate family, wedding party, and OOT guests! So I think that's great! Tell your FH that you want something casual and easy-going.

I love the first-look photos and am doing them too! It's so special to have that last bit of alone time before everything goes down.

I think as long as you remember why you're getting married and why you're hosting this celebration to include your loved ones, you will enjoy being a bride. It's okay to have all the attention on you for one day!

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll echo what's already been said about the casual 'rehearsal' dinner. We did a come and go BBQ at my first wedding as we had a lot of out-of-town guests and it was perfect for us to get a decent visit in for more than just the wedding reception.

First look - it's ultimately up to you. I am all for it but my fiancé is against it. When I explained just how long wedding photos can take between the ceremony and reception (we're having an outdoor ceremony at the restaurant where we're having dinner) and that I would like to spend more time visiting with my out-of-town guests after the ceremony, he agreed that it made logistical sense. (He's also going to cry like crazy the first time he sees me in my dress and was worried about being embarrassed. A first look lets him get that out before the ceremony.)

I never thought I'd be getting married again. I really didn't feel the need. But, it's important to my fiancé. I asked him what the most important parts were for him and we've worked together on those. Other things I'm just not as worried about and it'll all come together as it will. Hold firm on the things that are important to you. Some days it'll seem easier to just elope. (Just went through that week...again.) But, in the end, keeping an eye on those most important things and talking about why they are important (my fiancé had a lot of 'important things' that were just what he thought were the way things were supposed to be) will help sort through the muddy parts.

Good luck with it all and take time to enjoy the process, as well as the product!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Rehearsal dinner - If wedding is low key. I wouldn't do one. but I love the idea of opening your home up (especially for those out of towners). maybe get a catering company to do some apps and stuff for you food wise. so its less you need to handle. (and is simple).

Flow - I like first look photos for the idea of having less time between ceremony and reception. but I didn't want them. and FH was very much against them. so we aren't. talk to your photographer if you are unsure. and you can always have a longer cocktail hour (no one would notice)

advice - be you. stay true to you. some things i'm anti the normal way its done for weddings. other things i'm all gung-ho. you will probably get some push back from some people. my FMIL is continually doing it and I just stick to my guns. I would say, come up with a list with your FH about what is MOST important/must haves to have at the wedding. and go from there on what can be compromised/adjusted. that way you won't feel like you are giving in on everything.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Very helpful. Mostly because you share my opinion! haha
    I did find a wedding dress that is short (mid shin length) that I absolutely love plus it was less than $500 which is what I wanted!

I think I am on the right track. Just need to keep working on compromises with my hubby-to-be.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Rehearsal Dinner - If it truly isa low key wedding, then I don't know if having one is necessary at all. In fact I would probably skip it entirely. If you do want one then I would say to have it at the apartment as you will be going to a restaurant for the wedding.

Flow of the Night - I am all for first look photo's! It's what I will be doing so that I can enjoy the night with the guests rather than leave them for a couple hours to do this.

Overall advice for an anti-bride - It will be over before you know it so try and remember to look over at him and see how happy he is. Perhaps think of it as JUST a big party? Or maybe see about wearing a dress that is short so it's not too bride-y.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics