Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amelia
Master October 2020 New Brunswick

Choosing our Officiant

Amelia, on July 29, 2020 at 17:32 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 6
I don't know about you, but I panicked a little when it came to choosing who should marry us. What if they tell too many jokes? What if they're too serious and look grumpy in the photos? To me it was a big deal, this person is responsible for starting our marriage off right and legal!

I work with a bunch of lawyers and many of them perform marriages. From the beginning I had eliminated a few (too flirty, don't know them well enough, or getting married the same weekend) and I got my heart set on one I'm close with. She and I have so much fun working together, and as I thought about it it seemed like a great fit. I used one of our save the dates to "propose" to her and she was so so excited...until she realized she would be in Denmark that weekend working on her Masters. I dragged my feet and put off asking anyone else and then we were sent home during covid. But covid has given me one good thing: our officiant! Her program got pushed to 2021 and now she can marry us!
Have you picked an officiant yet? Are they someone close or significant to you? Did you pick someone with great reviews or who was recommended? Spill the details!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Wilda, on July 30, 2020 at 13:38
  • Kristen
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got recommendations from our videographer because he has seen and filmed so many weddings!
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We picked one off the internet, met her in person and she seemed great - really interested in getting to know us. Unfortunately, she bailed due to covid-19, so we had a marriage certificate but no officiant to marry us legally. Turns out a close friend's Dad is an officiant, and he offered to step in. He was super excited, and his ceremony was great. We sort of gave him free range to do whatever he wanted as long as it was short and sweet.

• Melanie
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked my brother! In Alberta anyone can become an officiant for a day. It was great because my FH is not having groomsmen and my only attendant is my sister/MOH.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You're lucky that NB allows lawyers to perform marriages. My Best Man is a family lawyer and would've been awesome if he could officiate. In Ontario, we have to go through "religion."

We wanted the wedding ceremony to be performed bilingually in English and the language of our parents, and there's only a handful of officiants in the GTA who is fluent enough to properly do that. We watched YouTube to see their previous ceremonies and looked at Reddit and Redflagdeals for reviews. Our Month of coordinator is also familiar with these folks as she works a lot of weddings in our culture so she was able to give us some opinions based on that as well. Based on the feedback, online reviews, and videos, we picked the one that had the right energy for what we wanted in our ceremony.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I chose an Officiant that had great reviews and really had the personality coming through as the same sign as I am. It was a coincidence and amazing to work with him on our day.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I have chosen an officiant that the winery has recommended. Of course we looked at all of the reviews before we had chosen the right fit for us. When we confirmed our venue they had given us a booklet of recommendations for everything you would need for a wedding. Since we don't live in the city that we're getting married it, it helped so much since we can't meet everyone!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics