Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Devoted September 2019 Ontario

Cheaper?

Bianca, on June 2, 2018 at 18:09 Posted in DIY 0 9
Is it cheaper and less expensive to do a lot of DIY stuff?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on June 4, 2018 at 16:43
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here's the thing....Could I have gotten a cheaper card box? absolutely. But I bought a vintage mailbox for $40 that I'm taking time to upcycle and make beautiful. Will probably re-sell after the wedding.

At the end of the day, I like having a creative outlet. I like upcycling. I like looking at the decor I have for my wedding and saying "I made that". So I guess it really depends on you, your patience level, and willingness to DIY.

• Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you’re good at it, yes. But if you dont have the skill or time to achieve certain objectives, maybe not. I’ve done a few things diy because I believe the personal touchs make it more special, but I didnt overwhelm myself.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didd print the programs at home provided the materials were bought on craftysticks.com site and all the welcome information as well at home.

I saved the cost of renting vs. buying and reselling. A lot pd the diy projects were small yet done months beforehand to avoid any rush towards the end.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like a lot of previous posters have stated, it really depends.

For people who already do a lot of crafting, arting, and DIYing, in my opinion it will be a less expensive option. People who already DIY don't have to account for the costs and time of the learning curve as much. They probably have a lot of equipment and supplies on-hand already. It is like a regular sewer having the proper sheers, sewing machine, threads, bobbins, etc, so the little things don't add up. Same with paper crafts. Punches, different edged scissors, etc.

DIYing also allows for greater flexibility in taking advantage of discounts and sales I find too. Michael's has 25-50% coupons all the time, student/teacher/military discounts at retailers, post-seasonal item markdowns if you start a year in advance, etc.

With all that being said, I love the feeling of nailing a super good deal and spending hours creating something myself....so I could be biased. Smiley xd

I understand the people who dread that sort of thing have the cost of their time and sanity weighing out the actual financial cost.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on what your diy-ing, I found gently used stuff off kijiji to diy my desert bar, I’m diy-ing our centre pieces. But also found it cheaper to order stuff from websites like amazon, aliexpress, lightinthebox, & Etsy instead of diy-ing.
  • B
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see your point, I have no talent for it either, but I was just wondering
  • B
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, this helps Immensely! Thank you and, I see your point!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on the project and the final outlook. If you have to spend money on trial runs then it may not be the most affordable option.

None of me wants to do any sort of DIY. I’ve got ideas but translating them into artistic final results just isn’t my thing. I’m also just not that patient. I think the most we’ll do on our own are the welcome baskets for guests.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think so. Depends on what! If you are crafty and have machines tools and crafts at home then it might be cheaper but I found if I had to buy everything I needed to make what I wanted it ended up costing more! So I would go on Etsy and get things made, then printed or ordered and shipped. I ordered alot on Amazon as well! Hope this helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics