Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andraya
Frequent user August 2017 British Columbia

Changing your last name

Andraya, on March 4, 2017 at 19:19 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 42

So I have been struggling with he idea of if I am going to keep or change my last name. Finding and deciding on a wedding dress seemed eaiser then this.

I love my last name

My FH last name will make my name sound rhymy

I do not want to share an name with my MIL ;P

I have though of keeping both names but then my last name would be 17 letters long

What are your thoughts on the name change? No problem? undecided?

42 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on December 15, 2017 at 20:46
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is important to me to keep my last name. I had a really strong bond with my grandfather and he’s been dead for 10 years so it’s one of my only ties to him and my dads side of the family. My last name is kind of long... 9 letters and his is 6.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I definitely say go with your gut feeling. Most people I know took their husbands last name and I sometimes felt like I need to do the same but I need to remember what feels right for me. I'm happy with my decision. His last name is only 5 letters so it's not too long. My last name is 7 so it is long but the two names flow well together so it's not too bad!

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel the exact same way! I’m the youngest daughter and my dad is an only child. Both my sisters took their husbands names. I’m strongly considering hyphenating. Have you been happy with your decision? How many letters is it if you don’t mind me asking.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be hyphenating my last name with his because it connects me to my children and to my new family. Also, my degree and diplomas are in the name I currently carry.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Rhyming names make you sound like a superhero. But you do you. I always thought I would change my last name but my partner's mother did not change her last name, and I have all this work related-stuff that would make changing my name a pain...it is more and more common to have different names, so do what you're comfortable with.

• Denise
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a personal preference, I'm keeping my last name because I love it! It's short and simple and I feel very much part of my identity and cultural ancestory, as my father's side come from the Black Sea region.

• Stephanie
    Devoted June 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am changing my last name to his.
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I struggle with this as well! I love my last name it's tattooed on me in fairly big writing. Ive also never ever met another person with my last name that wasn't my family. My last name is Suitor. his last name is "Johnson".. super generic white boy name haha I hate losing my uniqueness and having such an American name. He really wants me to do it so I probably will because I chose to marry him. If he didn't care, I probably wouldn't change it. I think hyphenating looks messy and is just confusing for every other person around you so I'm not going to do that.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

David tells me that Kimura is a very common Japanese last name but it is always fun to find others with the same last name! Smiley smile Smiley heart

• Geody
    Beginner July 2018 Alberta
    Geody ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am hyphenating for mine , our two girls have hyphenated last names . I explained to my significant other that I don't know his Biological dad , I've never met him so that's the reason why and he is totally cool with it .
  • Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is a very personal decision. Growing up, I always thought I'd change my name when I got married. But then my sister kept her maiden name and it made me rethink things. She said it was because of all her professional licences. I think I'd be a bit bothered if I didn't have the same last name as my future kids. I too am a professional and have done some research. It won't be too difficult to change my name. I love my fiancé and his family, so for me to share a last name with them is an honour!
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One of my colleagues- her daughters last name is Kimura. Small world hahaha!
  • Vicky
    Frequent user June 2018 Quebec
    Vicky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am changing mine i cannot wait. I dont really like mine and I always knew I would change my name when ill marry
  • Jenn Snow
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Jenn Snow ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having the sameish problem. I am the only grandchild to have my grandpas last name. (Which is funny since my mom is the only girl in her family to have a daughter.) My problem is if I change my last name my grandpa's last name ends with me. It's kinda a lot of pressure .
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would change my last name but as I am my father's only child and therefore only daughter, I want to keep my last name because I do love it and also to honour my dad. I will hyphenate it with my FH's name though as he has a short last name.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been struggling with this as well. I have had the same last name for the past 45 years and been part of a really small grouping, my Dad and grandfather being the only ones to have the last name(changed when my great grandfather immigrated) there are now only 7 people with my last name and when I change it won't be part of that group anymore. BUT I think it is more important for me personally to be immediately identified as a group with my hubby. I might consider hyphenating but Lysager-Kimura is quite a mouthful.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am changing mine, and I truly cant wait. I love my last name but I always wanted to change it once I got married, plus in my family, all of the women change their last names when they get married, so its not out of the ordinary for me.

• Seithen
    Curious August 2018 Quebec
    Seithen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would like to change my last name but I can't unfortunately Smiley sad
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm changing mine. I don't want to have this last name any longer lol partially because it hasn't been changed over from my first marriage.
  • Leah
    Frequent user April 2017 Quebec
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would change my name but it's not legally allowed in Quebec. Right now there are 4 different last names in our house and that is how it'll say. I can use his name socially only.

• Donna
    Devoted August 2017 Quebec
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to change my last name so bad but I can't since I live in Montreal Smiley sad

• Mariah
    Newbie May 2017 Alberta
    Mariah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have two "famous" names and get constant jokes about my name all day so I am looking forward to having a different last name and avoid boxer references for the rest of my life! All of my documents will need to be changed which is going to be a lot of money but I never even thought twice and if I would change it or not.

However, I can also see if you love your last name right now and don't want to change it. There shouldn't be any pressure to change it because you're getting married! A change in last name does not dictate how strong your marriage will be! Smiley smile

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a cool idea too! Smiley smile You should see the ideas in this article, there are a few options like this that you could also go for: Should I Change My Name After Getting Married?
    Which options do you prefer? Smiley smile

• Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't really care if I change my last name or not, my FH wants me to do it. I essentially told him that if he wanted to do it, he could get the forms, sit with me at service canada and the passport office, and pay for it all. We will see how far that gets lol!

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know where you are coming from! I'm struggling with the same. My FH last name has alot of vowels. I like when my first middle and his last name are together but just my first and his last sounds rhymy as well! And I don't want to hypen either! Hope you figure it out!
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me, I'm changing my last name as I always wanted to that this when I got married. I can understand where you are coming from and it's not uncommon for brides to keep their last name. I would reccomend speaking to your Fiancé about this to get his perspective.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't like the way my name sounds with his. It's hard to explain unless you know what it is LOL
    I'm going to probably tack it on the end of my legally but I'll continue using my maiden name for work and everywhere else.
  • Jessica
    Curious August 2019 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally cannot wait. It's not that I hate my maiden name or anything, I just really like how his last name sounds with my first name. And it works out perfectly that we are getting married about 6 months before my driver's license and passport expires, so when I renew I can use my new name Smiley smile
  • April
    Devoted July 2018 Nova Scotia
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been a mckinnon for 40 years now - i am doing what my mother did when she married my father - hypenating
    April McKinnon - Jessome
  • Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have no issues with it personally, lots of paperwork but I'm excited to change mine!
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In Quebec, marriage does not fit one of the accepted criteria to change your last name (only exceptional circumstances). Personally I am okay with it, because I feel attached to my last name, it is part of my identity and heritage, and is a link with my culture. It would have been nice to have my mother's name instead of my father because we are estranged, but still, it is a part of me. I feel that I want to give my future kids my last name - this way they can also feel that connection (and I can too since I will have presumably carried them for 9 months and given birth to them and all that jazz lol); after all, they would carry my mitochondrial DNA, so why shouldn't they carry my name and heritage, in my eyes . Anyways, I only say all of this because your future children may wish they also shared your last name, so maybe if you are ambivalent and love your last name, you could keep your name and tack his on, and so even if you only give them his name, it is still technically yours too. I don't know if this helps in any way, but I hope other comments do. I like the suggestion of the quiz, that is actually brilliant! Finally, I hope you don't feel any pressure at all, it is a very personal and important decision, so take all the time you need to consider all of the pros and cons for your personal and professional life. Best of luck xo
  • Andraya
    Frequent user August 2017 British Columbia
    Andraya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

one of my co-workers and her husband both changed there name to the same double last name so that the whole family has the same name

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics