Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Newbie October 2019 Manitoba

Changing mind after signing photography contract

Tonia, on July 21, 2019 at 08:54 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
Hey everyone! I need some advice. I hired a wedding photographer, signed contract and provided $1000.00 non refundable deposit, and am changing my mind. I feel like I didn’t do enough research on this particular photographer, and don’t know if she can produce the journalistic style that she aims for. She is a beautiful photographer; but I’ve noticed that a lot of her photos look more posed. I think that I was drawn by the 10% discount she was offering because I’m always a sucker for a deal, and am trying to stay within a reasonable budget. I’ve been putting off scheduling our engagement photos because I’m not feeling totally confident that she can deliver natural looking photos. I really don’t know how to proceed without insulting her and losing my deposit. I thought about asking her whether she would allow me to use it as a credit, but I would be taking a risk as she would have a right to say no. Anyone else feel this way? Thoughts?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 15:51
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would contact her and let her know what style you are looking for and ask her to show photos of that style. thats a lot of money to lose.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thinking twice and losing the money is a huge deal and something that will have to be a recovered elsewhere. Its best to see if you can get the pictures you want from this photographer and let her know by pinterest board of what you have in mind to get done. Send her the link for her viewing and what name under it is.

Try working with her if you can happen making the pictures more natural rather than posing. She will be able to work around your ideas too instead of losing your trust in her.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For sure do what Kelsie was suggesting by asking about seeing some work that is more your style - but if you never saw any of her work like how you want then I wouldn't be surprised if that's not her style and she doesn't do her art that way.

$1,000 is a lot of money to walk away from and I would of course try and avoid it... if the posing look is what you are aiming to avoid though then I would just say that it sounds like a model problem and that they looked to stiff. Maybe try having a friend take some amateur pics on their phone of you and your FH and see how they turn out?

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

$1000.00 is a lot of money to just walk away from. Chances are that if it is non refundable then it won't be transferrable either. I would voice your concerns to her saying that you really want your pictures to be really natural looking vs just cliché poses. Use your engagement session as a way to judge her performance so you then you can tweak whatever it is you don't like if anything at all.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would just talk to her and let her know what you want your pictures to look like. Just because you have seen a lot of posed photos doesn't mean that is all she can do. She is a professional for a reason. Try and get some more portfolios or if she has a website, look at as many pictures as possible.. or if you have an idea of what you want find some examples of that style and show them to her and ask if this is something she can do.

If you still feel strongly about not wanting to go forward with her, than sorry to say, but you won't be getting that money back. That is the whole reason clients pay deposits. It is to protect the client, but also protect the vendor.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going to assume this is a solo photographer and not a photographer you were assigned by a company. If it is a solo person, I’d ask to see her journalistic photos that you’re interested in. It’s not insulting to see previous work.

Every photographer has their own “style” whether it’s portraits or natural, etc. So if her style doesn’t really match what you’re looking for it might be difficult for her to capture what you want.

However, I always say trust your photographer. If she has lots of prior experience, trust her. I wasn’t even sure what style I liked when I hired my photographer but I trusted them and my engagement photos literally took my breath away.

it might sound funny but even the “natural” photos you see sometimes - they are posed, in a way, because the photographer is still directing you to do whatever it is you’re doing, laugh, smile, walk, etc.

worst comes to worst, you can try to get your money back but it might be difficult as you signed a contract and the money is non refundable.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics