Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie February 2020 Ontario

Ceremony Only

Shannon, on September 3, 2019 at 07:27 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Hello,
looking for advice.
I wanted to elope for our wedding but we have some family members who are really excited to attend. So we decided to have our parents and siblings only attend our wedding. Keeping it super small and intimate. How rude is it to just invite them to the ceremony then not have a reception after? I just wanted to elope so I am already settling for having some guests. I don’t also want to have a reception. Is it rude though?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on October 25, 2019 at 19:28
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you don't want a reception then don't have one! This day is about you and your fiance making the choice to spend forever together.

If you want to invite 300 people go for it! If you want only the legally required number of witnesses and an officiant there, go for it!
    If the people who want to share your day with you want to party afterwards they can do that without you.
    My fiance and I aren't sure how many people will be in the room when we get married. Legally we need a civil officiant and two witnesses. I want photos. So for us the minimum is 4 people. We might decide to have only family, or a selection of our closest people. Ultimately it's our choice because it's our big day!
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Shannon...I don't know...I think it is weird. Why some get after party and some dont.To make it polite, you maybe would need to add in invitation for ceremony part. No gifts.

Because, inviting for ceremony and people come and bring gift and after that they don't get all the rest of evening with couple would be strange.

I think...just need to represent right!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not rude. If anything, it's better than the opposite (reception only and no one gets to go to the ceremony).

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as its just your immediate family its fine. i think its rude once you start picking random aunts/uncles/cousins to attend!

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m an advocate for your wedding, your choice! If you want to go out to eat after or have drinks somewhere you can totally do that but don’t feel obligated because others want it ☺️
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it rude at all. As long as your family knows there won't be a ceremony I don't see any problem with just a ceremony
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A family wedding if fine by keeping it really small and intimate. Still have the elopement with parents and siblings, then dinner together rather than a venue costing you more than needed spending.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's fine.
    I am having a very similar wedding except we are going out to dinner with everyone.
    I would have liked it to be just us but I decided to pick family harmony.
    I think you should do what you are comfortable with.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Completely fine - I'm sure they will be a little down when you tell them, but remind them that it's your day and it's what you want. Also, that you are already deviating from the plan so they can attend the ceremony.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not if they invited themselves! Just explain your thought process and how this was what you wanted! Make sure they know what to expect!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It should be fine, just let them know there is no reception.

One thing you could consider is going to a restaurant afterwards and have a nice dinner, but maybe asking everyone to pay their own way - again, you don't have to do this if you don't wanna.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s fine. I would just let people know that there’s no reception afterwards!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics