Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sonja
VIP September 2017 Ontario

Ceremony Glitch

Sonja, on October 8, 2017 at 12:56 Posted in Just married 0 24

Hello Ladies,

We got married exactly 2 weeks ago (Sept. 24). I worked so hard to make sure everything was perfect. The ceremony began. We stood before the officiant and our friends and family. Ten minutes into it, we were to exchange vows and rings. Suddenly, I looked wide-eyed at my fiancé. I raised my finger to signal the officiant to stop, and I whispered, "I forgot the ring!". I was never so embarrassed in my life. There was an uncomfortable, lengthy pause while my bridesmaid (my adult daughter) dashed out to the bridal suite to retrieve the ring from my purse. Although I felt like crawling into a hole, many guests chuckled and actually welcomed the break and a little comic relief. The guitarist filled in the gap after which we could continue the ceremony. Ahhh! The memories.

24 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 23, 2017 at 07:47
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The same time you forgot you ring when needed, we had not prepared ourselves too but was handy on the tray.

Our ceremony came to the ring exchange and our officiant asked if we had the rings, right away i renembered its on the tray. My wedding party was looking confused for a while. I had to check which was whos and as we proceeded through, my husband wad nervous and said some phrases in a different way. It was cute.

Rose stem ring case.

Ceremony Glitch 1
  • Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, Randa. At least there is hope for me. LOL.

• Randa
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It all worked out in the end and you have a fun story! Congratulations!! PS: My sister is still happily married after almost 30 years so it's all good!!!

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Vanessa, read Erin's comment about the cathedral veil.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh Erin, that's unfortunate. I hope Vanessa reads this comment. She's having an outdoor wedding and a cathedral veil.

• E
    Newbie September 2017
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The other girls are right, at least you have a funny memory! When I was walking down the aisle, my cathedral veil got caught on a rock, as our ceremony was outside. It got caught so well that it stopped me dead in my tracks lol! The wedding coordinators had to undo it and it was the longest 5 seconds of my life lol! everyone laughed after but in the moment I was not pleased!

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am so glad I chose a tea length dress for that reason. Also, we got married on the hottest day of the year (37 degrees!!). I couldn't even bring myself to put on pantyhose so I ended up with a blister on my heel. Yes, the memory. Everything else is a blur but the moment I forgot the ring. I feel less stressed after the planning and am trying to settle into married life. We didn't live together beforehand so it takes some getting used to. We're still in the middle of renovations so I haven't moved all my things in yet. Hopefully by Christmas, I'll be mostly settled.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Randa,

Gosh! What a story! Yours is even more amusing than mine! Thanks for sharing with us. The important thing is that people were happy to help and we got married after all. And so did your sister.

• Randa
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Randa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Same thing happened at my sisters wedding! Her maid of honour turned to my other sister and me and said "I forgot the ring in the car" she was panic stricken. I turned and was facing the congregation trying to get my dad to run to the waiting car and get the ring but he had no idea what I was saying. My cousin was also watching me and realized what I was saying. She turned to the guy behind her (who happened to be the moh husband) and said "quick give me your ring" he handed her his ring my cousin reached over the pew handed me the ring, I passed it to my sister she handed it to the moh and at that precise second the minister said " the ring please". She handed him the ring having no idea where it had come from. The funny part is that everyone was so intent on the bride and groom they didn't even notice all this was going on!
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its not awesome that it happened but at the same time it is awesome that you have a special memory that you will always have. My biggest fear now after trying on dresses and finding THE dress is falling on my face. After moving around in them it is definitely interesting especially with a cathedral length train for a lawn wedding. I am so happy for you. How does it feel after all the planning.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now THAT is a funny story! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing, Erin.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Funny story! No reason to feel embarrassed. I needed tissues with me because I knew I would tear up and seeing as I had no pockets I stuffed them down my cleavage. When I went to retrieve them during the ceremony and few people laughed and I just said "well it's not like I have pockets in this dress" and everyone roared with laughter. We all have funny little stories about our weddings.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Melinda, That's awesome that you have that kind of personality. I'm usually afraid to look foolish but life happens. So funny about the dog.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Daphne, I don't know if I'll remember it fondly... maybe cringingly!!

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You handled that really well!! And I'm sure it will be one of the highlights you remember fondly in the future Smiley smile

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats!! It's good that you and your guests could laugh about it! During our ceremony, our dog decided to roll around on the ground grunting and scratching her back. We thought it was awesome (I was mostly worried she would take a poop during the ceremony, but even if she had, I still would have laughed cause that's just my personality!) Also, when the officiant started the vows, my husband blanked and had to get her to repeat the whole sentence in smaller chunks. We thought that was funny too. These moments made the ceremony more a reflection of who we are and I thought that was priceless.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Lynnie, I heard afterwards that several people were ready and willing to lend us their ring if it couldn't be found. Luckily it was just in the next room in my purse. So when the power flickered, did the officiant have to repeat the pronouncement?

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Melissa, yes, I can chuckle about it now but at the time it was hugely embarrassing. Certainly something to remember. My brother-in-law said that during the pause while we waited for the ring to be retrieved, several guests pulled out their phones to check for messages! Can you believe that?

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What a memory! So glad that your only oops was minor and that you are able to laugh about it now!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no!! It will definitely be a funny and memorable moment you guys can laugh over! We had the power flicker while the officiant was pronouncing us man and wife Smiley shame

I've heard a lot of stories of people forgetting the rings! Sometimes a family member or married guest will hand over their ring for the ceremony which is really sweet Smiley heart

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Kayla, Some of those vows are really tongue twisters. Now that it's all over, I can laugh but at the time I was just sweating buckets!! Doesn't matter, we still got married.

• Sonja
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Sasha,

It actually was quite amusing. I say this after the fact. Thanks for the congratulations.

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    LOL. I love it.It's embarrassing but also hilarious and I love weddings with some humour.We completely messed up saying our vows and laughed so hard, as did our guests. Don't sweat it! Just laugh Smiley smile
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's an amazing story! Haha I definitely understand feeling embarrassed but I'm sure everyone just thought of it as a comedic moment. Definitely a funny story to look back on and a memorable ceremony! Also, congrats!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics