Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Catering Manager woes

Kelly, on July 10, 2018 at 16:02 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

Sorry. This is long.

I wish I didn't have to deal with my chef's catering manager. If the food wasn't so great at this place...I would actually consider going with somewhere else. I don't trust her. She has already made a couple communication blunders, and she's so scatterbrained...The first run-in was at our tasting. She emailed us a couple days before to confirm the menu choices and make any item swaps, and we decided to change some options. When we went to the tasting, the new choices weren't brought to us, it was all the original menu choices. So she clearly didn't give the chef the new menu.

The second thing...and this really rubbed me the wrong way...She told me in an email that the deposit to secure our date was $250.00. My parents are helping with the cost of the caterer, so my mom put down the deposit. I asked my mom how much they charged her, and she said $1,000.00?! When I emailed her the next day to ask why she said it was $250, yet she charged my mom $1,000, she was like "oh I'm sorry, we can process a refund if you like...I didn't realize you only wanted to pay the partial deposit, and not the full" I was like "'I didn't even know there was an option? that would have been good to know".

Anyway...I'm not sure if I have the right to be annoyed about this recent one, so help me with this. I emailed her over a month ago to ask about switching from buffet to family style, and how that would effect the cost/person. I have not heard back yet.

I get it... its high season for weddings, and mine is still a year away, so I'm probably low priority.....but over a month to respond? not even a courtesy email to say "will get back to you in September when things slow down"?

I'm wondering if its possible to call the chef and deal directly with him...I feel so uneasy about dealing with her.

Thoughts?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on July 12, 2018 at 14:13
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would choose to contact her directly via phone or an in person meeting. I think she needs to be aware of your concerns and if things keep going this way then you may want to speak with the chef directly.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would call this person before calling the chef, he'll most likely tell you to speak with her.

Ask her if there is a better way to communicate with her and see how that goes.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Leave a message to call persoanally since she is isn't being a professional about her job. Its a big deal and needs to resolved for sure.
  • Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No the tasting is complimentary. It also wouldn't be $750 lol.

So one of the issues why its difficult to go over her head is that she uses the chef's email. I can't just email him and say "Yo, I don't want to deal with Erin anymore". Which also means I can't cc him on my communication with her.

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're still going with this caterer, and its not really about the amount of the deposit, but the shady non-communication about the amount we were paying.

In the end, its less money to have to pay later. Its more about the fact that she wasn't upfront with us.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The amount charged for the deposit should have reflected the contract. Did she charge you for the tasting?

Communication should be clear and CC to the chef if anything so that individual is aware of the changes.

Best to email your coordinator and get the details if the contract is different from what you signed. Beware that venues as other companies can change pricing without notifying you.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sound a pretty unprofessional and she seems to be getting awfully stressed over her job which is never good when your job is to literally keep everything on track and stay level headed. Is there a way to go above her head and talk to someone else and explain your situation and what you've had to deal with?
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unprofessional in my opinion. I would get the overcharge back just in case. I had to look for a caterer twice as my original one died. It was supposed to be the easiest decision as we made it and booked it within 2 weeks of proposal. Getting a caterer with 2 months left was a challenge that wasn’t 3x the cost.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If she said to you there is a deposit... that should be all you're charged for. You don't pay the balance on catering til they provide the product/service.

I would get the refund back, just in case something goes south down the road, you're not out a grand!

Also, I totally agree with you... you deserve at least a courtesy, "Hey your wedding is far away, we'll deal with your details after wedding season"... My baker sent me something along those lines, saying we'd book a consultation for September, but in the nicest way, don't bother them until then, they are really busy for the summer.

I would have words with the manager... explain your concerns, and maybe even say you'd like to know how better to communicate with her so this doesn't happen again in the future. You have the right to demand good service... you're a customer, and you can go somewhere else. I wouldn't expect perfection, everyone's human, but you deserve their best effort.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yikes! So sorry your having so much trouble!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics