Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert August 2021 British Columbia

Cash bars what did you charge?

Sarah, on September 15, 2019 at 21:40 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
My fiancé and I wanted to do a toonie bar to prevent some of the waste that comes with an open bar.My auntie thinks $2 isn’t enough and will only lead to people getting hammered and causing problems.She suggested I charge $5 a drink and even offered to supply the first 15 cases of beer if her supplier is still alive next year 🤦🏼‍♀️ For those that did a cash bar what did you charge?Did you have issues with people over doing it and causing problems?Did people complain about the cost?We do have a bartender and she will cut people off as necessary.If we do $2 drinks we will have a few over doing it and will just break even on costs but $5 will pay for the booze and provide cash towards the honeymoon.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on September 18, 2019 at 17:36
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I understand where my aunt and brother are coming from with their concerns but I agree $5 is too much.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I’m going to stick with the toonie bar.We hired a bartender to keep everyone in check so let’s hope for the best lol.She did ask for a list of people to watch closer to the date so I think we are in good hands.

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never been to a cash bar but i think $5 is too much.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Toonie bar is enough to get your guests enjoying drinking as much as they want. The bartender can take the keys away beforehand if they feel its the right thing to do or stop serving them in whole.

The cost of drinks more than $3 if anything, because its a toonie bar keep it $2 even. If you want to have honeymoon funds goal, keep a big jar with the sign so your guests are putting the money in there so you collect it at the end of the night.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Chelsea. I wouldn't go higher than $3 for drinks.

As a guest, I wouldn't pay $5 for drinks at a wedding. It's too high of a number to swallow when that's what you pay at a regular establishment for drinks. I think $2-3 is a lot easier for guests to accept.

Like Tori said, people may take money out of their envelope if they need to pay extra for drinks.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

On top of having a champagne toast during cocktail hour and wine at dinner (3 glasses/pp), we ended up putting $2,500 down for an open bar, which lasted 2 hours.
    We didn't advertise it before hand, so people were ready for a cash bar (full price cash bar). It was nice to see everyone's surprised faces when the MC announced the open bar. People weren't angry or annoyed when they had to start paying for their drinks, as it was closer to 11pm.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be having an open bar - but if we were doing any kind of cash bar it would be a toonie bar. I think that if you go all the way to $5/drink that you will end up with lots of people taking some of that money from their presentation envelope and using for that as to be fair, that money is supposed to cover their food, drinks, and a little extra for the bride & groom.

If I attended a wedding with a toonie bar I wouldn't mind, but a $5/drink bar would mean I buy maybe one or two drinks and that's it. Not a very "fun" time (I know, alcohol doesn't dictate the fun that you have but let's be real... it helps loosen you up for the dance floor!).

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a cash bar but the venue is handling it for a few reasons, we don't have to pay for it, we have alcoholics on both sides of the family, neither of us are drinkers, and they will just end up paying what a bar would charge. And im really not sure how to go about pricing it anyways. We decided good for was more important than cheap booze. But I have heard that toonie bars are quite popular. You could also maybe do drink tickets with a limit per person so people don't get wasted.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were doing a toonie bar. Regardless of what you charge, there will always be those ones who go way overboard. I personally wouldn’t go higher than $3, because otherwise your guests are paying the same as they would at a bar or restaurant. Most people I talk to who have done the toonie bar have made enough to cover the cost of the bar, and often even more on top of that!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics