Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maigen
Newbie July 2019 Alberta

Cake or cupcakes?

Maigen, on November 20, 2017 at 13:56 Posted in Wedding reception 0 18

I am starting to think about the cake for my bid day. I always imagined having that beautiful big cake, but am now wondering if cupcakes would be more fun. Thinking of doing a smaller cake for the cutting and cupcakes for everyone to eat. Has anyone else done this? Did you like how it turned out?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 20, 2017 at 13:59
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is what we had served ojr guests

Cake or cupcakes? 1
  • Jes G.
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Jes G. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mmm... Ube! Your idea definitely works! You could always incorporate a snacks bar with your favourite crisps, chips or pretzels in addition to your sweets

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Still exploring this idea. It seems like cupcakes from the people I have been talking to are still like 2.00 a cupcake which seems expensive to me. My FH does not want to spend 500.00 on cake and cupcakes. But we definitely want to have a small cake for cutting. Someone else on another post suggested cookies. Another idea is cake pops with a small cake for cutting. Our wedding is 250 people. But I have been told that if you have dessert with your meal and have the cake cutting later to cut your cupcake need in half. so you would only need 125 cupcakes but still lots of money. But if price isn't a factor go for it. Definitely do your research. Smiley smile

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a traditional wedding cake and I am super excited about it! Definitely reflects our style and the style of our wedding! It is also a great "decor" stand out piece! (Depending on what you do- we are having a gold sparkly tier so it's very flashy lol)
  • Natalie
    Beginner March 2018 British Columbia
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm marrying a Filipino and I love ube flavoured items. The challenge we have is that he loves sweets and I'm not a big dessert fan. But we're going with a small cake and cupcakes for our wedding.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a one tier cake for us to cut, and then cupcakes for our guests! It seemed to work out well. We also had a huge dessert bar at our wedding as well!

cake and cupcakesCake or cupcakes? 2

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wanted to do this, but my husband wasn't on board Smiley sad lol

• Megan
    Beginner November 2018 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a donut bar since the guest are getting dessert. We are getting a small cake for us to cut and getting some cookies and tarts to add to the late night buffet

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the cupcake idea and thats what we are doing for our wedding. We might have one small tier at the top to cut into but cup cakes trickling down. Plus the cake doesn't always get eaten, and with cupcakes people could always take one and walk with it. Its easy to eat and well portioned.

• Lynsey
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Lynsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a donut bar and ordering a small 1 tier cake for us to cut 🙂
    Also thinking of doing a signature desert as well
  • Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did both. 2 tier cake Reg cup cakes, mini gf cupcakes, cakepops, macaroons and theme shaped cookies. It'll be a better selection for those who aren't cake lovers.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A lot of people are doing a cake and cupcakes these days so don't feel like you are too out there. Cupcakes are generally easier to eat than a piece of cake on a plate. You can also have a few different flavours of cupcakes instead of just one with the cake. I like the idea!

• Sarah
    Newbie July 2019 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The idea of doing cupcakes instead of a large cake really interests me as well! I️ think you could get some really fun, delicious cupcakes and like everyone else said, much easier and probably save some money too!
  • Jes G.
    Jes G. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was thinking about doing this too! Having cupcakes instead of a traditional wedding cake saves money and you don't have to worry about cutting slices for people. Having a smaller, more affordable cake for the bride and groom while everyone else gets cupcakes is smart. Cakes are a huge expense and when I have gone to weddings there were always other yummy desserts and treats that I never really had the desire to try the cake Smiley smile I'm not quite sure what I want yet but being Filipino sort of paves the way for me to having something ube flavoured (delicious purple yam, sorta like taro)

• H
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to have a small cake for cutting and cupcakes. Large cakes might look nice, but they are expensive, a huge pain in the ass to store the leftovers, and challenging to serve. It is much easier to just hand out cupcakes.

• A
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Bakers now do such amazing things with, fondant and cupcakes. I would definitely do a small cake for the sake of cake cutting ceremony with mini cupcakes. Great idea
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think cupcakes would be very fun! Lots of people nowadays skip out on the big cake, so don't be afraid to do whatever you want! Neither me nor my fiancé are very big cake fans, so we're doing pies!
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We served cake as a dessert with our meal and had a small cake for cutting. We also gave out fudge as our favours. I tend to think that small bite sized things are best for an occasion like this - fun, easy and fast! Cake pops are great for that too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics