Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner June 2020 Alberta

Buying a used dress

Victoria, on August 31, 2019 at 18:42 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 10
Usually I am very picky when it comes to clothing... so I am not the type of person that shops at value village.

Some people have asked if I would buy a wedding dress from a consignment store. I couldn’t say yes or no.. I really wasn’t sure how I would feel about wearing a dress that someone had already worn for their wedding.
what are your thoughts on buying used?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Jamie, on October 6, 2019 at 18:55
  • Jamie
    Newbie June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had the best time at a wedding dress consignment store!! Not all of the dresses are previously worn - there’s lots new with tags that came from stores that shut down. Most of the previously worn dresses has a message from the previous bride on the tag giving you advice or telling you how fun it was or how they felt when they found their dress. It was magnificent and the dresses were perfect and 50% off regular price Smiley winking
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To me its a dress, some people sell at consigment stores because they might have not even wore it but changed their mind on the dress! I have done that and just wanted some money back from it. As long as its the dress you want I wouldn't worry if its used or not. Everyone's preferences are different and up to you

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is where it's case by case.. I don't like the idea of buying used as I have it in my head that if the person who wore that dress gets divorced or maybe never even followed through with the wedding then I see it as bad luck. I'm doing the whole "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a sixpence in her shoe" so... ya...

At the same time, I've thought about selling my dress after I'm done with it to make some money... overall I have decided against that though as I want to wear it every year on our anniversary and get my money's worth! Heck, maybe a future daughter will want to try it on!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on you. I wouldn't consider Value Village for a wedding dress, but buying from a consignment store could be a great way to save money. Thinking about it, my biggest concern would be finding "the one" only to realize they don't have the ideal size for me.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought my dress from Second Story in Peterborough. It's a second hand bridal shop. And honestly I love my dress and got to hear some info about the other bride that had worn it (still married and happy). I think it's a great way to give a dress a second life, and it's good for your wallet. I got a dress that someone paid about $2000 for, for about $900. I wouldn't go to value village though. They rip people off really badly. Do a search for second hand bridal shops, then you will have a lot more options.
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would personally consider. I haven't been to a consignment store and I'm pretty sure they've cleaned everything well there and it would be good to see how it's like and what options they may have! Would be great to save money too Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I may check one out. I think I'd be heartbroken if found a dress that wasn't close enough to my size though. I don't shop at value village ever. The dresses at consignment are professionally cleaned before you try them on
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It would really depend on the shop and the types of dresses they have.
    There is one in my area that has really nice dresses. But the sizes are all over the place. So for me I didn’t want to put on a dress that I loved but needed a ton of alterations.
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some of the consignment stores carry sample, ordered but not picked up, and never worn gowns as well as consignment.

Definitely worth a shot!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I thought about it, but the consignment store in Calgary didn't have anything in my size or price range, so I opted to get something new.

I would definitely email or make an appointment with bridal consignment stores, you never know what you might find (at a good price!!).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics