Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andrea
Newbie June 2022 Ontario

Budgeting

Andrea, on June 10, 2020 at 20:47 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
Hey everyone, my fiancé proposed to me in Feb and due to covid I have a bunch of free time so figured I’d get a jump start on all this (hoping to have a June 2022 wedding). I’ve started a Pinterest so I have some great ideas for dresses, colours etc. but when it comes to a venue I’m a little lost. What’s a reasonable price to pay? What’s too high? What should I be looking for? I’m trying to figure out a budget but I don’t know where to start. What is a reasonable budget? How much did you budget for. Any pointers would be great and really appreciated. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Janet, on July 10, 2020 at 07:07
  • J
    Beginner February 2022 Ontario
    Janet ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That will highly depend on the number of dollars you are willing to spend and the number of guests you are planning to invite. Event venues in Vaughan are versatile and customizable at the request of the customers. That’s what I felt while deciding on the venue for my friend. You can either have a mansion wedding or banquet hall wedding, all depending on the aforementioned factors. I think by June 2022 you will be able to invite guests as per your convenience and not to have any restriction which you might have probably faced if it was to be scheduled any sooner now. On an average scale, I think people are willing to spend around $7000-$10000 for venues owing to the guest lists they have considered. So, you can start the whole process by first deciding on the numbers you want to spend and then the numbers you consider to invite. These will help you to narrow down your options to a considerable amount. All the best. May you have a memorable wedding.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As everyone has said, the budget is tricky and dependent upon each individual couples expectations and limits.

FH and I had our venue picked out long before engagement and we were willing to do whatever it took to have our wedding there. So we based our guest list on their limit and started our budget with the venue costs. We have the same venue for ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and reception. The venue package included all the ceremony fees, cocktail hour, multi course dinner and late night snack, as well as a couple of drinks ( we decided to not go for a open bar, and the venue provides the liquor so a toonie bar was not a viable option - so that saves us some)

We did come up with a rough number initially, but once we got the final quote from the venue I realize we had left out service fee, gst etc so that actually put us pretty close to our budget limit already (oops). Luckily we have nearly two years of engagement (like you!) so we were able to amend and go from there. After our venue our next big item was the photographer, and then we just went down the list of other things to see where we could cut costs and decide what was important to us.

We wanted to pay for the wedding all on our own but we have had a few surprises gifted to us along the way (my mom surprised me by paying for my dress) and FH mom surprised us with a videographer, so that helps!

As others have said, decide on how BIG of a wedding you want to have, and then it kind of goes from there. Venue, Photographer/Videographer, DJ, Florals, Attire are all the big ones to weigh in and consider.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement, Andrea!

I'm going to go the opposite of what everyone is saying, just in case you're in that situation where this applies. Rather than listing all the wants and haves, come up with the dollar amount that you're willing to spend and not feel like you'll be in a bad financial position. For some people, it's as low as $5000 but for some people it can go as high as $80,000. The reason I say come up with a number first is because it's really easy to get sucked into the "it's so pretty, I must have all of it" mentality and suddenly the costs have ballooned to the point where you wonder what happened? Having that dollar amount set first will dictate what is manageable and then you can maneuver things around as others have said so the total is within reach.

That being said, your wedding is still a while away so you have time to save if you choose to spend a bit more.

If you're looking to cut costs, one suggestion is to visit places that are not in a major city itself but just slightly outside of it. For example, venues in Mississauga, Markham or Vaughan can be up to 30% cheaper than one in Toronto proper with a bigger capacity if you intend to invite a lot of people. Barrie is likely more affordable than Toronto just because of population density and demand but if you want to make your buck go further, I suggest exploring neighbouring towns that are within a 40 minute drive and compare prices.

Just off the top of my head, here are a few tips related to costs:

- All-inclusive venues where the venue takes care of food, drink, facilities, setup, and staffing all wrapped into one price point will ultimately cost less in the long run. A lot of people think renting a bare bones space that you DIY will save you money but those who go that route soon realize that you need labour for A LOT of things (setup, cleaning, cooking, serving, etc) that you don't think of when running an event. Not to mention equipment that is required to make the space habitable like power, lights, possibly heating or air.

- A lot of vendors have preferred partnerships that can help you save. Venues have preferred decorators and DJ, photographers may have a list of makeup artists they like working with, etc.

- Don't forget taxes and gratuity for everything you intend to pay for!

Good luck.

• Kelsie
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think first you have to figure out how many people you plan to have at the wedding before you can figure out 'a reasonable' budget because the amount of guests influences that number dramatically.

Also the prices of vendors can vary a lot depending on what you want. As mentioned above the cost per plate depends greatly on what kind of food and style of dinner you want - for example: buffet vs. family style vs. plated dinner. The buffet option will often be the cheapest with the plated dinner being the most expensive.

Photography can also eat up a big deal of your budget depending on what you want. A lot of people get videography included which drives up the price. Also, depending on the timing of your ceremony and reception will depend on how long you need the photographer for and that will also influence the price. If you have a late morning ceremony and an early evening reception you will likely need your photographer for 10-12 hours. But if they are closer together then less time will be needed and it will be cheaper.

Venues also play a huge role in pricing. Some venues allow you to bring in your own food and alcohol while others only allow you to use their services which are typically more expensive then if you brought in your own. Also if you opt for a cash bar, toonie bar or open bar will influence the price.

I would suggest before you go in to try on dresses think about the maximum amount of money you want to spend so you don't fall in love with a dress that is out of budget. Plus the cost of alterations you should also factor in, which can range anywhere from $400-$800. I opted to get my dress made in split sizing because my top and hips were the same size but my waist a different size so the manufacturer can make your dress in two sizes. It will cost you more up front (if the designer offers it) but in the end alterations will be less.

Then if you want a wedding planner that is an added expense. Depending on how you deal with stress and how organized you are you may want to consider one. I opted not to have one as I have a mom and stepmom who have been great helping me plan so it didn't seem necessary for me.

Anyway, there are a whole lot of things that influence your budget so really think about what you can and are comfortable with spending. Some prices will likely shock you as many vendors increase their prices simply because it is a wedding. But often if you feel like it is too much it probably is.

Congratulations on your engagement and happy planning!!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Andrea!

Welcome to the WW community and congrats on your engagement! Smiley smile

I agree with some of the other replies - budget is tricky! A budget is different for everyone - some people have a wedding over 100K, others over 50K and others under 20K, etc.

What my FH and I did was first we made a guest list of our must haves. Essentially, our list came out to 325 people (including children). So we knew we would need a larger venue, which meant a larger budget.

Another thing to consider is what type of wedding you want - do you want a five course meal with open bar? a three course meal or buffet? no bar? a toonie bar? a cash bar? Food and drink can really vary on your cost as well.

Go through your other must haves DJ, band, florals, decor, etc. - really figure out what your "vision" is for your wedding and then get some quotes! Originally, I had this vision in my head for our wedding and when I saw the decor was $10,000+ I scaled it down A LOT! So don't be afraid to get quotes either Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on your engagement!

Knowing your budget for a venue also counts for your guest list as mentioned for better results.

You will come across choices to make upon pricing to decide what works better as a couple per person. Parents helping out on both sides is great depending on how they feel they want have their input of the costs.

Food: served plated vs. buffet

Plated service will vary in how many courses you choose along with 2 meats options for guests to pick or just one that will be served to everyone.

Buffet allows your guests to serve themselves given the selection by the venue (if provided) or catered of your choice outside the venue.

Bar: host vs. cash

Host bar for amount of hours given and paying for extra hours after will add up easily on your account.

Cash bar is something to consider if you do want to not have that extra burden on you to pay after and the guests come prepared to pay for drinks on their own given they each are started with 2 tickets.

Events: Wedding & Reception

Wedding ceremony held at a gazebo or a site they have designated part of the package is great knowing you don't put out extra for the cost of day. The banquet hall you choose may be an option to change up after the ceremony is done so that your guests will enjoy cocktail hour outside and the tables will be added into the space. The head table may be done before hand so you have no time to wait on that part and close it off so your ceremony will be done nicely.

Reception hall following the wedding may also depend on the venue if they charge you based on the hall of your choice. The package includes the hall and you get to choose what hall is your preference to have your celebration.

Cocktail hour: h'ourves

Considering how much your already putting into the venue, bite size apps are optional if you choose to have guests snack as arriving to the reception hall or cocktail area. The varieties depend on what you choose and how much they cost per choice. 2-3 pieces per person is average as a snack portion.

Our venue was excellent for what the package included for the whole day and service included for dinner under $10K (excluding taxes).

Wedding set up/tear down

5 O'douvres of our choice for cocktail hour

4 course meal plate service

Wine served during dinner (bar closed for this portion)

Late night Buffet

Cake slicing and serving

Open Bar for the time frame of the event except dinner

Dance floor was put down since we had the space for it at no charge

No room charge for the couple of the wedding night.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It completely depends. how many guests are you having? do a rough list to get an idea. then make your budget. what what do you want to spend? then do an excel spread sheet and add in all the costs and move money around into more important parts and take away from something that is least important. as for venue we are paying 20k for 200 guests for food, alcohol, apps and midnight buffet. so just over $100 pp. others i know pay about $60 pp person for food and booze.

• Kevin
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Kevin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey!

I really think it depends on if you want the big wedding stuff. This is our break down for 60

guests

Ceremony chapel $300 and it goes towards our local mental health programs as a donation

Reception venue is a Legion it was $600 and they clean it all up and that money goes towards the veterans.

Dinner we went with a local restaurant and it is $21.00 a person buffett which includes bbq chicken, ham, salads, buns, coffee, tea, veggies, potatoes and cheesecake for dessert

DJ is $500

Officiant was $300 which I found to be expensive, necessary though haha

For make up found a girl fresh out of school and needing to build portfolio and is $40 and that includes the trial that she rocked at.

Dresses for 3 bridesmaids and wedding dress was $600.

I wanted a wedding for under $5000 and it will be.

• Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Budget is a tricky thing. It really depends on how much you are able and comfortable spending.
    I'm not sure about pricing in New Brunswick but think about the type of venue you want and research what costs look like. For example, I really wanted a barn/farm wedding but the venue fee to rent ranged anywhere from $**** just to rent the venue. That didn't even include the cost per person for food.

The cost per plate and how many people will dictate majority of your budget. Most places I've looked at ranged from $50-$160 a plate. Anything that was over 70$ a plate I didn't even consider unless it was an all inclusive package and there were ways I could reduce the cost.
    Our guest list we were looking at was $22,00 for 120 people, including decor, photographer, dress, etc. However I had looked at places which would cost us $30,000and this is all for a Sunday non alcoholic wedding
    We have reduced the guest list to 80 and are hoping to stick to $17,000
    You can definitely have a cheaper wedding. you have to look at things like reducing your guest list, less decor, and less of other elements. Having an off season wedding and getting married on a Friday or Sunday would all be cheaper options.
    At the end of the day if you only have a certain amount to spend. Just work within those numbers. My partner only wants to spend $10k My mom is helping us out with the rest. If I didn't have the extra help then I would plan a wedding for 10k
  • Michelle
    Frequent user June 2023 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was surprised at the costs involved. It’s a bit different for me as I’m planning a destination wedding, but I’m at aprox 150pp for dinner, bar and appetizers. The venue does not have a big fee because guests are staying at the resort. But I’m paying 1400 for a planner, set up and minister ect.

Figure out what price per plate you can budget for, how many people can you pay 100-160 per plate for. A venue for 100 people will be more than a smaller venue that can accommodate 50. Consider all the other costs that add up too. Photography, cake, dress, suits, MC/DJ, decorations, flowers ect. I really wanted to keep my wedding at 10,000 but it was almost impossible to stay within that budget. I’m at about 14,000. My guest list is 24.

So I suggest figuring out that guest list and a food budget, how much more are you willing and able to spend on the venue? I underestimated the food cost, I’m super glad I have small wedding! Good luck venue hunting! Just find that perfect place you can picture yourself getting married at 😊

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement!
    The budget can be tricky. A lot of the time it is dependant on how many guests you want because that dictates the size of the venue and you'll multiply the cost per meal based on the number of people to feed. Have a ballpark number of people you want and throw some numbers around to see what you're comfortable with. Figuring out what is most important to each of you helps too, if you or your fiance are food snobs but don't want to spend a small fortune maybe a smaller party with expensive food is the way to go. Or if you want to splurge on a great DJ maybe you skip the open bar or cut the fancy appetizers to save money.
    There's a YouTuber named Jamie Wolfer who has some great videos where she breaks down the average cost per guest (and a lot of other helpful videos) and I found she explained the budgets really well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics