Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andrew
Curious October 2018 Ontario

Budget: dress vs. suit

Andrew, on September 16, 2017 at 15:36 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 16

Hello all,

My fiancée and I have our venue booked and deposits paid and so far we have been sticking to our budget. She has found a beautiful dress for approximately $610 less than we budgeted for. Then there is me... To have a custom suit that I love created just for me is looking to go over budget. We gave ourselves matching amounts to spend so we're thinking of using the excess of her's towards mine. But we still have to factor in the veil, shoes, accessories and any alterations that she may need. Then there may not be much left for me. Looks like we may go over...

So I have a question for the married people or anyone who has the final numbers in on their wedding. How does the groom's suit compare to the dress?

I think it makes sense to spend a lot on a perfectly customized suit because you will be able to wear it many times, unlike a wedding dress.

Thoughts?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Eastern, on November 14, 2023 at 03:37
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Andrew,
    If your accounting foe tour bride's accessories to her dress, why not just geta shirt and tie/bow tie for yourself if you own a suit already. My husband and i had to get suits.

Let her have that money so you two are on budget. I know its your day too. Hope all goes well and you 2 will rock in your outfits.
  • Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance wants to rent a nice tux. He says if he goes over, he will take that money from his paycheck. Every little detail adds up so try to save from some of those items like decor so that you can still be on budget and wear what you want. Typically guests judge the bride's attire more than the grooms though.

• JENNIFER
    Frequent user December 2017 Ontario
    JENNIFER ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Fiancé has ordered a custom designed jacket but plans to buy off the rack pants. This has allowed him to splurge on the jacket and save on the pants. He can get everything tailored once the jacket comes in.
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dress was $1450 more than his outfit haha.But he also didn't wear a suit, and he bought his shirt, vest and bow tie on sale. Already owned the brand new jeans he needed, and he wore converse sneakers.
    Go for it and spend a little on your suit. It's your day too and it's totally ok to spend some cash! Have fun with it!!
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go for it! I wish my FH would buy a fitted custom suit. I got a great deal on my dress, and to me it only seems fair that he would get a great suit also. I will be only wearing my dress once, and he can wear his suit many times after. Also there will be many other places that you will be able to save some money. Go for it!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband already owns two tuxedos (he calls them his "fat tux" and his "skinny tux" Smiley tongue ), so he just wore a tux he already owned for our wedding! So by default my dress cost way more Smiley laugh

You'll get a lot more wear out of your suit than anyone will a wedding dress, and an awesome custom suit is a nice thing to own in life! I say go for it!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were totally okay with my fiancé splurging a little more on his suit as he works for an engineering firm and will use it more than once in this lifetime. We haven't gone to get final numbers yet but we did end up scoring a sweet discount from attending a bridal show here last year.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dress and my fiancés suit cost around the same amount, including my shoes, veil, jewelry plus his shoes, cufflinks and watch. i feel like it just worked out the way however if we hadn't been in and around the same prices, it would have been okay. i think as long as your and your fiancée are both ok with spending more on your suit, i say go for it! my hubby got a custom suit made as well and we agreed on what you said - he will definitely get more use out of it, and the fitted custom suit looks so amazing on him, so it was totally worth it!
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband's suit cost more than my dress and I completely support that as he will be able to wear it again. That being said, I never wanted an expensive dress because I just couldn't justify spending thousands of dollars on a dress for one day. I know that is not necessarily the opinion of most brides. I was lucky enough to get a dress at a sample sale for an amazing price, so we splurged a bit on the suit and it worked out well!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't personally share what my dress cost with my fiance, but I had money set aside for it and it wasn't included in our budget, since it was my choice to buy an expensive gown. I know how much he spent, but only because a local place has a pretty popular suit package that practically everyone goes with for their wedding because it dresses the guys from head to toe.His was not as expensive as mine, but again, we didn't include these as a part of our budget since they were our own individual items and not shared like the other costs of the wedding.

I think you should talk about if you're willing to go over for your outfits or if you'd like to move funds from some other portion of the budget to accommodate the more expensive clothing.

• Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with your thoughts.Wedding gowns cost a fortune, of course because of the amount of work and time it takes into making it, all the elaborate details, fabrics, but most importantly because many women are WILLING to spend a fortune in the name of beauty (even if it's just a one time thing!). The industry is made that way even if your special lady isn't like that. So if the money is not spent on the dress, there's always something else that might cost more than you expected. So you might as well spend the money you planned on your suit, especially because you can make it worth it by wearing it multiple times in the future. Maybe the difference can be made up elsewhere?
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the difference is that men are more likely to wear a suit more than once. If you don't have a suit then it's worth investing in one. My groom probably spend a comparable amount to my dress when all is said and done. I think my dad even spent more than me! But I'll only be wearing the dress once.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's great that you care so much about your wedding attire and your budget. I think that if your suit isn't too much over the budget, you could always save somewhere else in the wedding that also doesn't affect your brides budget. What kind of suit will you be getting if you wear a 3 piece every day?
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually like that you're so into your wedding, that you care a lot about your outfit for that day. If your fiancée agrees, which she seems supportive from the way you write, then I would spend whatever you need on your suit. Again, I love that you're excited about how you're going to look on your wedding day. Even if you do end up only wear it that one day. The wedding/reception is all for show anyways.. the decor, the flowers, the location, the brides look, etc. So the fact that you care about how you're going to look just as much as the bride, id be impressed with that. Because as a bride, I was very into how my wedding is going to look. My husband didn't have a custom suit, he rented one. But he took the look and style seriously which I appreciated, and I think he looked fly as hell!

Budget: dress vs. suit - 1
  • Andrew
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Andrew ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks Sonja, problem is that I wear a three piece suit to work everyday and have many nice suits already so I feel as though I need one that's extra special for the big day.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My personal opinion is that you have to keep it in perspective. I've done this before so I have learned a thing or two. Remember, it's only one day. Also keep in mind that you may spend $800+ dollars on a suit and then gain weight over the next year or two (don't laugh, I've seen it happen). Now the suit doesn't fit and you'll not even get half of what you paid for it if you try to sell it. If you don't already have a suit, buy a nice one that's reasonably priced and save the rest of the money for something you didn't think of for the wedding, or spend it on your honeymoon, or save it. It's not a crime to come in UNDER budget. You could also rent a tuxedo and still buy a nice suit to keep for other occasions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics