Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katherine
Curious August 2021 Prince Edward Island

Bridesmaids paying for things

Katherine, on November 13, 2019 at 17:22 Posted in Beauty 0 17
How do I discuss with my bridesmaids that they are paying for their own hair and makeup? I really can’t afford to pay for everyone’s hair and makeup which would be at least 700 or more all together.

17 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on November 15, 2019 at 16:36
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ask them if they would like to get it done and if so the cost is XX and i need to know by xx date. dont offer to pay for them.

• Emily
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agree with Megan!

If you are asking them to pay, it should be optional. I have a Facebook group to be able to have a central means of communicating with bridesmaids and just posted in there asking anyone who wanted hair and/or makeup (or both) to comment which services they wanted. I told everyone the cost as well.

I gave everyone a deadline as well. I reached out to my mom, my FMIL and sister in law seperately.

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're not paying for it, it needs to be optional. If you have specific people you want them to use, just let them know they need to let you know by X date if they want to use them. If not, they are responsible for their own hair and makeup. Here is the style you would like them to loosely follow (e.g. shimmery eyeshadow, neutral lip, no pink lipstick, etc). But it's never a good idea to tell your bridesmaids they HAVE to pay for a service that may be outside their budget. Smiley smile

That being said, there's nothing wrong with saying straight up "I won't be covering hair and makeup for you guys. Let me know what you want to do for it. If you all want to use the same person, I can help you book someone. Or we can all hang out one night and practice our makeup together so that you guys can do something similar! I'll buy some wine and we can all have a girls' night!' - that's going to be my speech!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just emailed them and said these are the girls I'm hiring. They're coming out to the bed and breakfast where we're getting ready. Hair is this much and makeup is this much. Please let me know if you want either, both, or none, and I can let them know how many, and we can make a schedule.

One of the girls just wanted her hair done, but the day of the wedding she decided she wanted makeup too (which...was kinda annoying because she was 20 minutes late for her time slot, so we were already running behind), and another girl decided she wanted to do her own hair and makeup.

Just make sure that you ask what their budget is, and adhere to it when hiring.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it's optional then they are expected to pay for it their selves - which if you are hiring somebody then I agree with the way that Anna worded it. If not then just maybe if you have a group chat you can say something along the lines of "Hey girls, in regards to hair and makeup we aren't having it done professionally but if you are wanting to have it done all I ask is that it's not too heavy and that you are at the hotel where we are getting dressed by *insert time here*"

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are having professional hair and makeup and it's a must for your bridesmaids to get it done with that professional, I'd pay for it. If it's optional/they are on their own for hair and makeup, they pay for it.

I had both a hair stylist and make up artist come to our bridal suite, but the bridal party knew it was optional, and could do their own hair and/or makeup if they wanted. If they wanted to go in on the professionals, they were paying for it and that was discussed early on. In the end, everyone ended up getting their hair and makeup done professionally. My SIL was going to do her own hair but decided later that she wanted it done by a pro.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can let the BMs know they are responsible for their hair and make up if they decide to get it done by your stylist for the price quoted. This allows them to choose to say yes and be there at the same place or book with their choice of stylist the day of your wedding. I know its hard to pay for everything for them when budget is tight and not enough to pay for the wedding party.

We didn't do hair or make up for the MOHs as they were hairstylist themselves and 1 was a make up artist who did my foundation and eye bags blending. They were given a gift as it didn't cost me anything but the tax itself to pay.

• A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I said "I've booked a hair and makeup artist for the wedding day. Absolutely no pressure to have either done, but if you'd like one or both done please let me know so I can give them numbers. It will be $___ per person if you want it done".

I did let them know that I would cover the tip for everyone myself.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm paying for hair and make up as part of my MOH gift. Also offered to pay for my mom's hair and make up.

If you're not interested in gifting hair and/or make up to your bridal party, it's totally ok that they pay for it.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In that case don't worry about it! The girls who want to spring for professional makeup can join you and the others can make themselves up.
  • Katherine
    Curious August 2021 Prince Edward Island
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I should have worded my question better. I’m not forcing anyone to get their hair or makeup done. Makes zero difference to me. I’m just asking that if they want it done professionally, who is to pay for it.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the group, if you're insisting on professional hair and makeup you should pay. At the very least ask the girls what their budget is/what they're comfortable with and pay the difference.

I was given this option in a wedding, did my own hair with input from the bride and she didn't complain. After already paying for the dress and the weekend bachelorette in the woods plus all the time off from work I simply couldn't afford it.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with Caitlyn. I would just let them know and leave it up to them. Give them a date to give you an answer by so you aren’t waiting forever for a reply
  • Kelly
    Curious February 2020 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if you are insisting that they have their hair and make up professionally done then you should offer to pay. Being a bridesmaid is already really expensive in terms of covering the bachelorette party, bridal shower, dress, hotel and plane ticket if travelling etc. that adding hair and makeup on top can really add up. If you're not insisting that they have to have hair and makeup professionally done then you can offer it and if they don't want to they can just do it themselves. In my case all my bridesmaids are already shelling out a lot of money out of pocket to fly in for the wedding since we're doing a destination wedding so I figured it was only fair I cover their hair and makeup.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    After I got a quote from my hair and makeup artist I just messaged my bridesmaids saying “hey, so if you want to get your hair and makeup done I’m having someone come to do mine, it’s $90 per service. Let me know so I can book”

I agree with the other posters though that if you require hair and makeup to be professionally done instead of it just being an option then you really should pay for it.
  • Tori
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the previous poster - I don’t think you’re expected to pay for it but I also don’t think you can force everyone to get it done professionally if you aren’t. You might have some who are comfortable enough doing their own makeup/hair.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's somewhat frowned upon to say that your bridesmaids HAVE to have their hair and makeup professionally done and then not pay for it. It sucks to shell out that much but you kindof have to bite the bullet if you're concerned enough about it. I put it to my girls that I'll pay to have their hair done (which I'm doing as part of their gift), but that they would be free to do their own makeup if they didn't want to pay for the makeup artist to do it. But I was pleasantly surprised that all of them were actually happy - even eager - to pay for the professional makeup.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics