Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Genesis
Newbie August 2019 Alberta

Bridesmaids Hair and Make Up

Genesis, on April 19, 2019 at 10:33 Posted in Beauty 0 12
Hola everyone!
From your experiences, should bridesmaids hair and make up all be the same so it doesn’t look off? I know that make up relatively has to, but what about hair?
Thanks!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on May 1, 2019 at 06:18
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridesmaid has short hair and my maid of honor has long hair, so we will be different styles for sure. I would like their make up to be similar though as their dresses will be the exact same color, different styles but same color.

• Genesis
    Genesis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all the input ladies! All my bridesmaids dresses are different styles and different shades of green. The only thing that I’ve asked them to do is have long dresses! Since we are doing the mix and match dress option, they all agreed to somewhat of the same style hair. Like if they all want their hair up, they can have different variations of that style. I’ve given them a template of a make up look to follow but it doesn’t have to all be exactly the same, just the same guidelines 💕 I am sure they will all look beautiful with what they come up with. Thanks again!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Bianco that it can go either way. My bridesmaids all want to do their hair the same so their jewelry and their shoes will be the only thing different to each of them and they love it! If they are going to have different styles then they need to be semi similar like all down or all up for example. I would just talk to your bridal party and see what they think

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it can go either way. If you're going matchy-matchy with all the accessories and shoes too, then maybe just have their hairstyles match too, if not, they could have a little more freedom to have a hairstyle that suits them. Have you asked your bridesmaids what they'd like?

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am letting them do what they want- they are paying for it and they all have different cuts. One has hair cut that has to be down as its not even long enough for pony tail. I just won't allow them to have the same hair style as mine- like needs to be different in some way.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my girls there are some that just can't match. One of my BM has a pixie cut, one has hair all the way to her butt, the other 3 have hair varying inbetween!

I would say that their hair should be different, but not the same as yours! That is my only request from my girls, just don't have the same as me. So if I do updo, they can have half/half or down, if I have half/half then they can have up or down, and if I have down then they can have half/half or up!

Oh, and no accessories in their hair unless they match/ aren't too big of a statement piece so that they don't take away from me!

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Genesis,

For sure the makeup should look the same so that it photographs nicely in photos. You don't want one bridesmaid to have a super heavy look while another bridesmaid goes for a natural look.. it will just look odd. Pick something that you'd like, show your makeup artist so they know before coming over to do makeup.

As for hair, I think it is ok if everyone has a similar style but doesn't have to be exactly the same. For mine, I had all the bridesmaids do a half-do (half up and half down) and I picked 3 photos of the styles i liked that would go with the theme and they picked which one they preferred. That way I narrowed down the styles and they were also able to be a part of the process.

• Kassandra
    Frequent user May 2020 Alberta
    Kassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only thing I stipulated with my bridal party is that their dresses have to be one of the wedding colors(style is their choice, strapless etc.). Hair and makeup etc I'm not concerned about at all. I like individuality and want that present in mine and my FH's day 😊
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am leaving it completely open with my girls. I am paying for their hair and makeup, but I want it to be something they are comfortable with.
    For my sisters wedding we all looked exactly the same. From our dress down to our makeup.
  • Genesis
    Genesis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good idea!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I actually think it shouldn't match - in that it shouldn't all be exactly the same. I think you should aim for a matching feeling. For example, asking your bridesmaids to go with romantic hair, or sleek, that kind of thing.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never seen a wedding where the bridesmaids' hair all matched. I don't even think makeup needs to match. Matching dresses should be plenty - and even that's not a necessity in all weddings.

Ultimately it is up to you - your wedding etc etc... the girls may or may not be ok with it, but talk to them and see, maybe they would be. But if you're wondering what "normal protocol" is... again, I've never seen where the bridesmaids all matched to that degree - although I have seen a few bridezilla stories about brides demanding their girls lose weight, dye (or refrain from dyeing) their hair, etc. etc!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics