Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Bridesmaid Dress Shopping

Holly, on June 10, 2018 at 20:01 Posted in Wedding fashion 1 17
Hello all!

So I'm just currently trying to get some ideas together on how to set up dress shopping for my bridesmaids.

Here is the situation, I have 4 girls. They all live in Ontario, I live in BC. 2 live in Windsor, 1 lives in Toronto and my MOH lives in Sault Ste Marie. I've asked them for some suggestions about how to go about dress shopping for them but we can't seem to get on the same page and one of them barely even participates in group conversation about anything wedding related.

So my question is, what are some of your suggestions for this?
My original plan before I moved was that we would all go out together during the summer when everyone was visiting Windsor and do the dress shopping. The girls were all going to be in one colour but got to pick their own styles. Now I don't see that working because if they all go to different store they probably won't get the same colour.
My thought is maybe I'll just go to a bridal store like David's bridal, one that they can also find near them or online and select one dress and one colour, or one dress and 4 complementing colours, or just pick one colour in a few different styles and let them pick what one they want to wear? What do you all think?

Thank you in advance!! 😊

17 Comments

Latest activity by Susan, on October 20, 2019 at 12:21
  • Susan
    Ontario
    Susan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I recommend David's Bridal, I went to the London, ON location wheere the staff were sooo nice, understanding and knowledgable. I got the PERFECT dress and since I am petite they gave me a great deal on custom tailoring. I was a bridesmaid for my sister's wedding and I wanted a VERY specific dress and they made it happen by fixing up the dress until the image in my mind came to life as a dress!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My MOH (My sister) lives in Australia and we are all in Ontario. My dress is Stella York and there is a sister collection of bridesmaid dresses which happens to be Australian. I am having all the girls in the same colour but different style. My sister will try on dresses in Australia and then give me the size and sku for the dress so I can order with all the other bridesmaids to make sure the colours are the same!

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! I'm also a bride living in BC with most of my bridesmaids in Windsor and London Ontario. I've been trying to get colour swatches for David's Bridal but they don't ship to Canada...

Has anyone on here ordered their dresses on JJ House? I'm getting colour swatches from there but I'm curious what the quality of the dresses is like. The reviews on the website look promising.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Being so far from each other I would HIGHLY recommend sticking with a store like David's bridal! They're all over and like you said you know for sure the colours would match! If you like the idea of everyone being in a different style I would select a few options and let your girls have a pick but to keep the same colour! Just make sure the dress styles you pick have the same material because sometimes the lace can look a bit different colourwise from the satin dresses!
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been in a couple of weddings where I didn't live where the bridesmaids did.
    David's bridal is a good option for that. and you can direct them on what you like (for me I want same color, material and length and will let them pick style of dress).
    you can do the same thing if there is a designer you like (like bill levkoff or sorello) and they can to a bridal store in their town that carries them. and go the same route as davids bridal.

you could also try azazie. Its all online. but a stylist will help them measure/find a dress. they can even have samples sent to them to try on for a fee. I've been reading reviews about it. and they sound good.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My MOH is in another city, too. We are doing David's Bridal - I have picked the colour, and a few basics about the dresses (floor length, no strapless, no satin). They can pick their own style - on the David's website, you can pick the colour and it will show you all styles available in that colour. Really helpful.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you can get to a David’s bridal with a few girls to try on dresses and decide to use them you can always have all the girls call in their measurements to the shop and order from it (or another store) and have it shipped to their home. If the dresses are all from the same line or designer they will match in colour.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think my biggest fear of the colours not matching and being totally off! I don't think they are all near a David's bridal or another store that has lots of locations..
  • C
    Curious June 2024 British Columbia
    Calla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have the same problem as you- I moved away and my bridesmaids are all over Canada (BC, ONT and NWT). I decided it makes the most sense for me just to give them the colour, length and style I want and let them get their own dresses. I want them to have something that compliments their individual styles (which are all really good!) so this worked best for me Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My sister was a MOH in a wedding where everyone was across Canada as well and they went with David Bridal since it was easy to find a location almost anywhere. Probably your best bet!

• T
    Beginner August 2019 Manitoba
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having six bridesmaids, all of which have different styles, budgets, and figures. Just to keep things simple I am having them all buy their own dress as long as it is the same colour and length Smiley smile
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had to do something like this. I have 2 girls and I ended up going shopping with 1 and looking at dresses. If you decide to go with David's Bridal the girls who cannot go shopping with us was just able to call in to the store with her measurements and to order or go into any davids bridal and they can look up the wedding info and make sure its the same. They can also mail out the dress even if its out of province. It worked out well cause we could see all the different styles of dresses together and see colours side by side.

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did David's all the same colour and pic their style. I would try to stay with same material (ours are all chiffon) and stick to the David's brand. Then they can go on their own and take pics and send to you. One of my bridemaids did this and it was fine, as long as she chose a style she liked in the color we choose it wasn't a big deal. I have 10 girls and all dresses are beautiful! No stress!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I chose a designer and colour and my bridesmaids chose their own style. There is a chance the dresses will be slightly different hue since they were ordered at different times at different stores but for me, that difference will be so slight it won’t make a difference.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I was considering something like that. Giving them some options, then they send me what they like so I know it's along the lines of what I want to see as well as not the same as the others. If the sizing is a bit off we aren't too concerned because they all plan to get their dresses altered to them anyway. How was the costs per dress and shipping?
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How were the dresses? I’ve read lots of reviews that have said the sizing is too large in the chest area and the length? What was the shipping cost for the dresses? I’m looking to find the most affordable dresses for my bridesmaids.
  • Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m in my cousin’s wedding this summer and because her bridesmaids are all over the place as well, she gave us a length and colour to choose from on azazie.com but let us choose the dress style. We emailed her our top three picks so that she could make sure that we were either all wearing the same dress or all wearing a different one, then gave us the go-ahead. We all ordered on the same day to make sure they were made from the same bolt, and it fits pretty well! Might be worth considering.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics