Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenna
Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia

Brides/grooms - I am in need of some serious input!

Jenna, on January 5, 2020 at 17:30 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
Hey everyone! It’s been awhile since I posted, were roughly 260 days away from our wedding day and .. were having serious regrets! We’ve planned a semi-large wedding and have secured basically all our vendors. We’ve paid $3200 in deposits (roughly a $12,000) budget in total. Now, we want to cancel it all! We feel we planned the wedding more suited to our families and not to us (were not one for crowds or anything being all about us) we’ve been looking into pop-up weddings. Has anyone ever done one? Pros and cons? Worth losing the $3200 to make ourselves more content? 🤷🏽‍♀️😕 please help two bewildered brides to be!! Haha

Thank you in advance! 🙃

12 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on January 21, 2020 at 14:22
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So glad you worked everything out so you'll be happy.
  • Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey everyone!

Thank you all for your input!
    Our wonderful photographer was able to make the change on her end for us! That made our total loss $1770. (Instead of $3200). We’ve decided to make our wedding day more us by pushing the date into winter, eloping, and taking off for a honeymoon right after. Since with the big wedding, we didn’t have it in the budget to do so.
    Thank you all again for your insight. ☺️
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no!!! do the wedding how you guys want to do it. dont try and please everyone else. people are going to have complaints no matter what so you girls might as well have the wedding of your dreams. i dont know much about pop up weddings but google reviews about them i know theyre wayyyyyyyyy cheaper thats for sure

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do the wedding the way you want. I have heard from others that didn't get their "dream" wedding for whatever reason, that they always wished they had done it differently. I know for me, I wanted the big fancy wedding and when we talked about a small wedding, I got really sad thinking about it. Doublecheck contracts but I think $3200 isn't that much to lose if it means less stress and more enjoyable for you two. If your families are helping to pay, I think that complicates things more as they may think they have a say since it's partly their money. If that is the case, and you can do your wedding without their help, let them know their financial assistance is no longer needed.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The amount of money that will go to waste for nothing and feeling that regret of a loss isn't a great feeling inside.

Ask your vendors if they have couples that will be interested in taking the date you chose and if the refund would come your way somehow of some amount. Read over your contracts and double check to make sure its viable based on the time frame you have to cancel.

Try working something out with the vendors to see what is an option otherwise to not lose so much of your deposits.

Its a shame your families put you two through this when they should have listened to what was the plan in the first place. As a couple, the decision is all you for you two to make and no on else. This time around, put your foot down whenever you feel things aren't going your way.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely feel for you guys! I had some venue/wedding regrets around 5-6 months before our wedding where I felt like we were catering to my family. Since we had our deposits down and people were pumped about the wedding, I decided to push through, and we ended up with a memorable day!

Definitely agree with Rayanne and Tori and check over your contracts before deciding anything! Some vendors might require you pay x amount if you cancel so close to your wedding but others just keep your deposit. Also think about if you are ready to be out the $3200.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I completely agree with Rayanne. Just make sure you check your contracts first because even if you only paid X amount of dollars you may be required to pay more even if you cancel if it's in the contract.

If you like any of them then I would for sure say to see about getting them to let you move your deposit to the type of wedding you are wanting - it doesn't hurt to ask right?

At the end of all of that if it's doable then you need to do what you and your FW want and even if some of your family is sad to hear that the big wedding is off they will come around to the thought that this wedding is more "you". Just be sure to include them as best you can in the smaller one Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check your contract! With mine if I cancel one year to 6 months before I still have to pay for 50% of the wedding, if it is within 6 months to the day of i have to pay 75% of the wedding whether we have it there or not. Be careful. If you dont have anything with the vendor like that i would say do what you want. If you are stuck I would say to try to figure out how to make your current venue more in keeping with what you both envision.
  • Eden
    Frequent user August 2021 British Columbia
    Eden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I had a vendor booked and were planning on having a large reception (I say large but really we only planned on having 75 people). It was crazy how much everything added up, and we decided to cancel and just elope instead. So now we are having a private ceremony with about 10-15 close family only, and honestly I'm so happy we made that decision. We had put down a $2,000 deposit but lucky they refunded it to us as it was within the time frame. Your wedding is still 9 months away, a lot of places should refund your deposit if it's far enough in advance. Even if they don't you will still save A TON of money if you go the pop-up route. Our wedding budget was also 12,000, and now it's only 6,000, and honestly it could be a couple thousand less but we decided to go for more of a fancy elopement lol You have to decide what's important to you and what's not. You should also talk to your family about how you're feeling and get some advice. Good luck!

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Jenna,

First let me say how sorry I am that you are experiencing regretful thoughts on the planning process.

With that being said, I think a pop up wedding is a great idea. As Amelia said, ask to see if you can transfer to a different package. I would not just walk away without trying to recoup some of the funds paid out.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is there a way you can downsize your day? If the vendors don’t give too your deposits back, perhaps there’s a way they can give you a smaller version of what you booked. That way you can keep some if not all of your deposits.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it's what you truly want then I would reach out to vendors to see if any of the deposit it refundable. If not see if anyone in your area wants to take over the date for a portion of what you've paid to get a little back (or make someone else's wedding a whole lot cheaper).

If you want to use any of the vendors for a pop up wedding ask if the deposit can be transferred for that event instead.

At the end of the day it is your wedding so you should do what makes you happiest.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics