Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maegan
Super July 2018 British Columbia

Booked our Flights!! Scotland here we come!!

Maegan, on November 29, 2017 at 17:14 Posted in Honeymoon 0 15
So my fiance and I booked one way flights to Scotland for our honeymoon today! I was recently approved to take 8 weeks off work for our trip in Sept/oct next year so we fogured there was no point in waiting to book.
We are looking to spend about 4 weeks touring around Scotland before jumping over to Ireland for a week or two and then jumping down to Italy for the remainder of our trip!
Looking for recomendations for all 3 countries! Weve are very outdoorsy people... Will be looking for good hikes and scenic places to check out. Maybe some camping? Not sure what the weather will be like but we are used to the rain! Tips to save some money? Cheap places to stay? We aren't opposed to hostels for part of the trip. Cool attractions to visit? I want all your suggestions!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Megan, on December 3, 2017 at 08:45
  • Megan
    Beginner November 2018 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I’m so jealous, my fiancée and I wanted to go to Scotland for our honeymoon since he is Scottish but we decided to save it for a summer vacation.

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya it absolutely will be the trip of a lifetime! We figured we have one chance ao we should make it count... Work will never give me that much time off again haha.
  • Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't have any suggestions for you, but this sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Enjoy every minute of it and please please please share pictures when you get back!! Smiley heart

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is great around September to early November, because it is neither too hot nor cold yet.

The carnival happens around February-March every year, so not around the time you might be visiting. Nonetheless though Venice is a great place to visit!
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that is a very good point! Ive never travelled anywhere before that wasnt mainly english speaking... Thatll be interesting.
    When is the annual carnival? I think itll likely be october before we hit Italy. We are definitely interested in checking out less touristy places but i guess that also means less english haha. Whats the best time of year to see Burano island?
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Cinque terre is indeed great and is beautiful all year round. It would be nice to see Venice during the annual carnival, as it is really lively and full of vibe. It is of course not bad otherwise to begin with, especially visiting for first time and with your significant other. Depending on the time of the year, one of my very favourite places in Italy is Burano island. It is not very international touristy and all, and it is really artsy and gorgeous. Of course, the catch is that arriving there doesn’t really happen via air, but it is so worth the extra mile. And of course, no matter what, please be aware that rhe majority of Italian people do not speak English, so if you don’t speak Italian it might turn simple tasks into quests!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WOOOOOOOO!!!! This is soooo exciting! I've always wanted to go to Scotland and Ireland.

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome! We are big scotch/whiskey fans so will definitely be doing some tours.
    We havent narrowed down where in italy we would like to go yet... I think a couple days in Venice, and ive had it recommended to me to visit Cinque Terre.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats!

when it comes to
    Scotland, if you are whiskey fans, book tours! They are so much fun! Also, Edinburgh and Glasgow are both two big cities with lots of museums and historical sitesseeings. If you don’t go to a big city, Scotland is very famous for its great rock climbing facilities, so you might wanna give it a try.

When it it comes to Ireland, I have only been there once, but it is a country full of parks and nature. And alcohol! I cannot recall any camp sight around Dublin, however I did not do a very thorough research as it wasn’t part of the plans.

Can you tell me please which parts of Italy you’re talking about? I can give you a complete tour guide ^^
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am not sure what you can do there, but OMG sounds like so much fun!! Enjoy yourselves, sounds like an amazing time! Definitely don't forget to take pictures!
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow 8 weeks! So lucky! That's going to be so much fun Smiley laugh
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh man. You are making me so excited! Haha. I would love to see some pics if you can find them!
  • Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Also, in Ireland we went to Aran Islands... I believe the island we went to was Inismore. We rented bikes on the island and cycled around it was so much fun! There's a SPAR grocery store there where we bought lunch. The best thing we saw there was called the Black Fort. It was unbelievable! I should find some of my pictures! We were literally sitting on the side of the cliff it was amazing!
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Tracey! Neither of us has done much travelling so we decided this was our big chance to do a big trip while we are child- free and mortgage-free! Isle of Skye is right up at the top of our list! Ive heard nothing but good stuff about it... Especially the fairy pools. Ill have to look into the Portree Hotel Smiley smile
  • Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg I'm so jealous!!! My fiance and I went to Ireland and Scotland last year but only stayed for 2 weeks... our favourite part of the trip was the Isle of Skye! It is unbelievable!!!! There's a great hotel in Portree to stay called The Portree Hotel. The Fairy Pools are great to see too! And also a town called Plockton which is close to entering or leaving Skye. They have palm trees there and it was amazing to see!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics