Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Janis
Curious June 2019 Ontario

Booked Honeymoon, name change issues on passport?

Janis, on February 13, 2019 at 23:36 Posted in Honeymoon 0 10
My fiancé and I booked our honeymoon during the second week of October and we’re going to Iceland. My passport has my current last name. We’re getting married the end of June, and I don’t know what the rules are about changing my last name. I know I have to update my driver’s license and health card within 90 days of moving in to our new home (which will be in the fall). As for travel I don’t want to get screwed.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Bubblere, on January 22, 2024 at 18:50
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as you book your flight with the name matching what's on your passport nothing else matters.

I've heard changing names on a passport is a huge pain anyways so I personally wouldn't bother. When I have to renew mine I will update my married name at that time. For now, all trips will be booked with my maiden name to match my passport.

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WE also plan on buying?/ building a house this year too! S I would really like to keep track of this discussion!!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WHAT!? That sucks, i just got the 10 year one 2 years ago... What a waste.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for thinking of this! I didn’t and it’s definitely something that would be freaking me out last minute!!

• DrB
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    DrB ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got married in August and didn’t get my marriage certificate until November (I ordered it the week after the wedding). We moved in December and I changed my name when I updated my ID. Still have to change it on my passport, but the whole name changing process is definitely a marathon, not a sprint. I would recommend holding off on the name change until the honeymoon is over- Everything takes forever
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Brittany is correct. It doesn't matter what name is on everything else. You name on your ticket must match your travel ID.
    Since you already booked your honeymoon in your maiden name then you have to have that name on your passport meaning you cannot get a new passport with your new name yet. Unless you're able to contact the airline and have them change your name on your ticket. As long as they match you'll have no issues!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should book your honeymoon under the name that your passport will be. If you're going to apply for a new one right after the wedding, than you can book with your married name, but if you're going to use your current passport, use your maiden name.

It doesn't matter what your name is on anything else (driver's license, credit card, etc..) as long as your travel itinerary matches your passport.

If you're concerned at all, bring a photocopy of your marriage license, in case you have any issue. But I don't think you will.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sounds like my exact situation last year! I just waited until after my honeymoon to change my name and that way avoided all passport/ name change issues. You will have to update your address when you move, but I’d recommend waiting on the name change!
    There are also potential issues with booking your flight under your maiden name and then having your new name on your passport even if you did get it updated in time. Some airlines allow you to provide a marriage certificate but not all.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Janis!

If you guys are moving in together after the wedding to a new address, I believe you actually have to change your address within 6 days for your driver's license and health card (Ontario).

After 12 weeks (3 months/90 days) after the wedding, you can apply for your marriage certificate which is what you need to change your last name. So you would be able to get this at the end of September.

Personally, I would hold off on changing your name until after the honeymoon so you don't get your travel screwed up. We're leaving on our honeymoon a few days after the wedding so definitely won't be changing names until afterwards. Once you do change your name, Rachael is right, and you will have to apply for a new passport.

Hope this helps!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Apparently you have to apply for a new passport.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics