Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandria
Curious August 2021 Ontario

Bilingual Invitations

Alexandria, on July 3, 2018 at 10:15 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17

Hello to all!

I am trying to budget for invitations. I have a long time to decide as my wedding is in 2 years, but my mum tells me to save money on the invites, to the extent of sending them by email.

I found a company that does this but they are still going to cost like $200!

Then there's the fact that my other half is French (from France) and so I will have to do French invitations as well!!! I wonder if I should do like a completely different design for the French ones- I saw these cute passport-style ones, which makes sense as they are travelling to Canada- and a separate floral invitation for the English ones?

Is there anyone on here who did their invitations in French? Is this a big deal, do I need to write it myself, or can companies write it/translate it themselves in the French language?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Megis, on July 3, 2018 at 18:31
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Also used vistaprint with designs I made myself. Ordered other laser cut envelopes though.

• Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did Vista print! My partner designed them herself and we ordered them through them. They did a great job! They look great! We ordered regular matte paper and envelope seals to match. I also got them to send me the wedding sample pack, and I'm glad they did. They have lots of nice options for paper and things they offer.

They also have super easy to use templates if you want to design them yourself on their website!
    We waited for a 60% off coupon to come around, but they usually have some sort of deal on!
  • Jean
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Jean ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's interesting info to share Sara.

I've just begun the process as well in which I'm looking into creating even an electronic invitation but also looking at having some paper invites in which I would like to do the same thing for printing them but I have yet to shop for nice paper stationary stuff to put together a package together. I am not so much focusing totally on cost savings but more so to making ourselves which to me is more meaningful than just getting it done commercially. Cost savings is a bonus of course :-). But I will have to check out your suggestion...

JGD

• Alexandria
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks a bunch Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To save on invitation costs when it comes to sending them overseas. look into vistaprint. and translate the invitation to French yourself.
    they always have good discount codes. you could print front and back (one side invite, one side details/wedding website/wedding email etc).
    just to have less weight in the envelope.
    stamps are probably the most costly part of wedding invitations (if you aren't doing laser cut or embossing or other fancy stuff).
    to save on stamp costs. we are doing online RSVP's. but paper invite.

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what we did for ours. Bought sets at Michaels, went to my FMIL and printed it with her really good printer. They have their own templates that you can use, or if you know any graphic designers they can help you out too - that's why we got help from FMIL Smiley winking

Also, if you go that route, they have tons of 40% off or 50% off coupons like all the time - bring a few friends if you need to buy several boxes and you save a ton. I think we spent like $70 in total for 90 - this includes: invitation, details, envelope, rsvp and rsvp envelope + some fancy ribbon as the decoration.

• Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing our invites one style but multiple languages. Some in French, English and Italian and it’s all included in the price. They might charge more if you’re changing the style for the French ones
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting my invitations done at Staples Print Centre... I've already ordered 8 different samples to pick from and they are really nice (if you don't need the 3D/cut out/fancy invites).

They have French and English options for many of their invites, so you'd just order how many of each you would need. If you get it on a sale, they are under $1 per invite. My invites, with detail inserts, plus envelopes, for about 70 (one per household, plus extra), is going to be under $100.

• Marleau
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh Marie-Claire, I love the idea of the French on one side and the English on the other. Your friend that did that was very smart, plus I’m sure she saved quite a bit of money that way. The other way is cute to if you know which guest need English and which need French so your not sending 2 invitations to everyone. What a great suggestion Smiley smile
  • Marleau
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We used Vista Print for our save the dates and invitations. They were very cost affective specially when you can get them on the 40-50% off sales. I would have your FH write the French ones, that way you know 100% that the translation is correct. Smiley smile So exciting, and have a blast planning, that 2 years will go quick... trust me 😉
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing all of our own! We sent out our save the dates already and they cost about $40 in materials plus postage. Invitations will probably cost about $160 plus postage but its so much cheaper this way and a lot more personal!
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We printed invites for a friend's wedding. She just used her home printer but make sure it's decent printer. You can get packages at Micheal's and online with blank cards and envelopes included. So once you have your template filled in (some come with one) you just load the blank cards and hit print.
  • Alexandria
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice, everyone! When you say you printed them yourselves, what do you mean by that? Do you need a special printer?? I am totally clueless!

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My invitations were in French, but I'm not sure that counts since we're both French speakers, as are pretty much all our guests.

I have however recently received two wedding invitations from friends who have French and English speaking guests (both paper invitations). One friend simply had one language on each side so that everyone received the same thing. And the other had two different versions of the same invitation, one in each language (everything else was identical).

If your French skills are good enough, I'd suggest writing the text yourself. I wouldn't trust a printing company to translate text (and anyway, I think it would be better to write the invitations in French than to translate them, as some of the formulations are very different and might not translate well).

You can find tons of French templates on the Internet, that could be a good start. And if you're not confident in your French skills, ask a French speaker to review your text.

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our invitations are bilingual (Dutch being the second one) too, we just separated ours since we also wanted to include some extra information in the Dutch one. The rest of it is exactly the same, just translated. We added some extra inserts with travel info and hotel block booked and stuff like that for the Dutch version.
    We've decided on making and printing it ourselves to save on costs, postage could have been high but we gave our save the dates to family when they were here and will bring our invites themselves over and also send them from the Netherlands or give them wherever possible to people.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you were getting them done in print then you could just have English on one side and French on the other but I'm not sure about online evites if they have that ability. I would say if you are doing online invitations then feel free to change the look of them up but it's not necessary - however I would translate them myself due to computer errors with translations.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Invitations for 2 languages can be done on one design if you want to save more. Going 2 designs may depend on the styles and slightly higher cost for the passport invitation.

Have you tried vistaprint site to get updates for discounts. Its a thought and have many varieties to choose from. Plus you can add texts where needed.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics