Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalie
Devoted July 2020 Ontario

Biggest Planning mistake?

Natalie, on January 25, 2019 at 20:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 31

I feel this is important to anyone just joining, but share your biggest planning mistakes or regrets here!

My biggest mistake was ordering the vases before anything else; we got a massive amount of great quality, large and obnoxiously tall vases for an amazing price. We were so excited for them. I didn't even factor in the amount of flowers needed to fill those said vases, and our (real) flower quote skyrocketed due to the sheer size of our vases. We have to do faux to even attempt to stay in budget.

31 Comments

Latest activity by Alycia, on February 5, 2019 at 20:27
  • Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I’m pretty much the same. I gotta get used to it.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've been trying to do this with my mom and my MIL. It's hard because I'm so used to making decisions on my own.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's exactly what I'm doing in terms of reminding myself. I'm most definitely selling those things after!

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine would be purchasing the centerpieces I did...I still love them but I think I could have found a cheaper alternative. Also I kept telling myself to wait for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales to purchase them so at least they would be a bit cheaper but they didn't have many left in stock and I was worried they would sell out/not re-stock in time (I noticed sometimes it can take a few months to re-stock) so I ordered them at 10% off instead of the 50% I could have got had I waited.

In the end I keep reminding myself how much I like them, and that I can try to re-sell them after the wedding....

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have someone in my wedding party and I am in hers. Told her everything and I had bought it all. She bought everything after me exact same but her wedding is 2 months before. Def can relate and sorry to hear!

• Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! My only regret so far is so similiar! My FH's sister is getting married 6 months before us and we used to talk a lot about the planning process. That is until she started duplicating all my ideas and changed her theme to match mine plus suggesting we buy stuff together so she could split the cost but use the new stuff then we would get the used pieces for ours. It got so obvious and annoying I changed a ton of my plans and haven't told her a detail in months.
    Why can't people just enjoy their own ideas? Just use Pinterest like the rest of us.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

NO! It's such a risk - I know. I would love to have tents as a backup plan but it's too expensive to have "just in case" Smiley sad

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My biggest planning regret was not getting my florist to set up. It was $100 for her to come out to the venue and deliver everything, but she suggested that we could DIY it to save some money. At the time that seemed like a great suggestion, and a decision I initially felt good about.

In hindsight, $100 is a drop in the bucket considering the overall cost, and now I'm stressing trying to figure out who the heck is going to set up, when it would have been so much easier to have left it all to her. Unfortunately she booked a large wedding the next day and will need the entire day of our wedding to work on it, so she can't accommodate us now.

I'm meeting a day-of planner tomorrow, but I already know they're going to be more than $100. I haven't decided yet it this is the route we'll go.

Dumb dumb dumb.

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What a helpful idea for a thread, we can help each other not make the same mistakes. I am still super early in the planning stage so the biggest mistake I made so far was not including my mom enough, that might be only my mom, but I planned something with my bridesmaids that my mom got wind of and asked me to be invited to which i said yes of course. It was a last minute thing and my mom is always busy weekends, I later got some backlash from her saying she feels I don’t want her involved. I have only just begun the planning process and I already seemed to have hurt her feelings! So I’m trying to remember to involve her!

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea I was pretty hurt. Shes in my wedding party and I am in hers. Have had few issues with her and asked her few times if she would like to back out. At this point there's two people ready to tell them no longer needed. People thought I was being too harsh as its the trend right now what I had for decore. But everything to the tee except one decoration is different. Lesson learned for who real friends are.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

At least it worked out that we both got our favourite seasons for our weddings! Haha.

Last year May was not great weather-wise for our venue because of the ice storm we had in April (I think) so at least if that occurs again this year it likely won't be an issue by October.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmmm, my biggest mistake was probably booking the first venue we saw. We liked it and it offered everything we were after but now that I look back, we should have kept looking around because there are so many nice places around us within our budget.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I purposely wanted to do a summer date since my birthday is in the winter, his is in the spring and we don't get to celebrate much of anything in the summer (my favourite season ever)

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good call; that's a long time to be outside. at least you caught it in the end!

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Out of curiosity what did you go with?

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You've probably chosen the best month, so here's hoping. Did you do tents?

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Taking notes; I messaged one makeup artist I loved about five times and she never responded so I gave up. But this is good to know.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

UGHHHHH YES.... and some things we told people about we ended up NOT going with! We were raving about a venue we didn't end up choosing; we talked about a cake design we aren't doing... like, we just get so excited and want to tell our friends but then tell them stuff way too soon before decisions are finalized.

I haven't told anyone I didn't want at my wedding that I'm getting married - which was awkward considering I ran into a former girlfriend and her friend at the grocery store with my FH and she glanced at my hand three times while we were "catching up" but I mentioned nothing. We had a falling out and she knows that, but it was awkward. HOWEVER, my sister has since included two people by texting me and saying "so-and-so found out you were getting married and now wants an invite".... so how did they find out? lol.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pretty sure this is one of my biggest mistakes in life as a person, always. I can relate 100%.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She's a bitch. Sorry not sorry. That's rude, inconsiderate and feisty ASF. There is a sea that is called the internet; she could have picked 100 cheap alternatives. The only mistake you made was being nice and helpful to a really inconsiderate person. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Your wedding will look way nicer because it wasn't knocked off. You're the original MVP.

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree 100%; the pre-arranged centrepeices that we chose to rent instead actually do this as welll except that some of the vases are crystal so we've had to use faux petals that we thankfully ordered way too much of to hide any filling. I blame it on my absolutely non-green thumb.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My biggest mistake was involving too many people. Should’ve just kept it my FH and I but when parents are helping, it is difficult to not take some of their desires into consideration.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a great idea for a thread! I think my biggest mistake has been one I made over and over - not saying no when I wanted to. In an effort to be polite and nice and pleasant, I've agreed to far too many things I would never have chosen for myself. I also wish I had included my FH in more of the vendor research. He is only just beginning to realize how much work has already gone into planning (and we're still not even close to being ready!)

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far my biggest planning mistake is talking about my wedding in front of others. Sure, I talk to the people who will be invited - but then they talk to others who aren't necessarily on the list...

I've added at least one person as to avoid conflict (plus I mean, it's just one more right?)

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine would be buying decor as far in advanced as I did. I showed another bride (we both in each others wedding) and she bought every single thing I did for her wedding and her wedding is 2 months before. Now I am stuck looking like I copied her wedding...

• A
    Newbie April 2019 Ontario
    Auline ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I booked a popular makeup artist in Toronto based on their instagram pictures, paid my 50% non refundable deposit in advance without a trial. This was a huge mistake never trust Instagram pictures. Do a trial first before committing to something.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel that pain and the cost of how much time ahead you got them. I did order the favours way in advance of the time not realizing it had some water damage to some boxes later on.

An easy fix is to just get artificial lily flowers and fill water in the bottom portion at the venue. Styrofoam can be cut for the size of the vase and place roses and baby breath with lots of moss in in between as fillers. If this helps to cut the cost down, it would bring out the look you'd like vs. real flowers filling the vase.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Booking an outdoor ceremony. It's in August so most-likely we'll be fine, but if it rains we'll have to move it indoors 1.5 hours later than the original ceremony time.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I bought a bunch of candle vases super early on for centrepieces, then we switched venues and were not allowed candles then I didn't like other ideas to fill them.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want to say one mistake is not thinking everything through.
    I was so excited to book things that I just did it. Originally we booked an outdoor ceremony and then an outdoor reception the beginning of October. As time went on I started regretting the outdoor ceremony and worrying about people being warm etc. Some things changed with the venue and we ended up switching our reception inside.
    Words of wisdom for those in the beginning of planning, talk it over with multiple people. Think of every detail!
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear about your mistake, but I'm glad you were able to stay within budget!

My biggest mistake would be not considering our anniversary date when picking our wedding date. I kind of regret it, though I love autumn and am happy with our date otherwise.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics