Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marissa
Frequent user October 2021 Alberta

Barbecue Food

Marissa, on January 20, 2020 at 20:15 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

BarbecueBarbecue Food 1

My fiance and I have agreed we both like the idea of barbecue food, and we already have family volunteering to help in the kitchen and at the grill. I'm not sure about a few things, and wondering if others have done something similar. Did you have both burgers and smokies, or just burgers? What sides did you have alongside the burgers? Should we include a second main dish option?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Tracy, on February 4, 2020 at 12:29
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

BBQ is fun. Just remember to think of timing to cook everything and keeping it warm for when you want to serve it. You can do prep ahead like pre-grill ribs, or kabobs (meat and just vegetable) and sausages then they just need need to be heated up. Then grill your burgers while everything else heats up. Crock pots with pulled pork or hot sides like roasted vegetables or baked beans. Borrow them from friends and family.

And cooking things on the grill ahead of time you will have less smoke around for your wedding guests.

We were going to BBQ but opted for a pig roast Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh lettuce in lieu of bread sounds good Smiley smile. No problem, best of luck! Smiley smile
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you want to add chicken or pork you could do those as kabobs, with or without veggies. It would make them cook faster. If you do have vegetarian guests I would ask them if they have a brand of veggie burger or dog they prefer, they have probably tried many over the years and know what ones are the best!

Also if you want to cut down on your own prep time a lot of grocery stores will chop veggies for you. My office did this for our BBQ this summer and it saved so much time. We had onions, and tomatoes cut for burgers, and had veggie kabobs made with onions, peppers, and zucchini.
  • Carly
    Frequent user May 2022 British Columbia
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It really depends on how comfortable you’d be cooking a large amount of chicken, but bbq chicken breast is a good option so people can dress it up like a burger, but also can enjoy it without the bun if they like. Also doing veggie skewers. Easy to cook with flipping and such, plus easy for guests to grab and go. Zucchini, onions, peppers, good to go Smiley smile
  • Marissa
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you to everyone giving great suggestions! I agree there should be another thing for those who don't want a burger. I love the idea of including pulled pork, I'll have to look into that option. Having some vegetarian/vegan options was on my mind, so I for sure want to have some of those options. I feel like a hypocrite lol I don't think I want to eat a burger - I'm more into other types of barbecue food, but burgers seem easier and cheaper to make.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do burgers and another option like hot dogs or ribs. not everyone will want to have a burger. also i would do some salads, like caesar or maccaroni and some veggies as well like maybe grilled veggies like aspergus and mushrooms or corn like your picture. i would also do a dessert table as well so its like a 3 course meal kinda thing

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did Danny's Whole Hog BBQ for our wedding and had:

BBQ Chicken, Pulled Pork (with buns and sauces), Caesar salad, Loaded Baked Potatoes, Mac & Cheese, and Mixed Veggies.

If we were making it ourselves we would go with both burgers and smokies and probably regualr hotdogs as well.

Good sides would be salad, corn, coleslaw, macaroni salad, mac & cheese, baked potatoes, veggie kabobs, etc.

I would just say to make sure that if you have any vegetarians or vegans that you have something for them. For ours we had veggie burgers but in hindsight we should have just had our own mushroom burgers to avoid a possible dislike (although they say it was a fine vegan/veggie burger....)

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Burgers and smokies sound good to serve at your bbq. There are veggie burgers also available for those that feel its for them. Beans as a side is a good idea for vegetarian protien option.
    Another prospective to share may be the idea for kids of mini size sliders (burgers) and sausages (cut after full size cooked) to allow less wastage and proportions to he right for them. Just a thought.
  • Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Went to a wedding that hired a BBQ restaurant / Food truck to cater. We had pulled pork, bbq drumsticks, beans, various salads, corn bread, corn on the cob, grilled veg, brisket, and cheesy tater tots!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Baked bean is another vegetarian option 😉 who doesn't like simple too.
  • Marissa
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes that sounds delicious. Chili was another idea floating around, but baked beans is a good alternative to making chili and easier. That's another thing I don't want to run out of food I agree with that

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would do the burgers and smokies. I'm one for having too much food rather than not enough. I think I'd have baked beans, a caesar salad or garden salad and some kind of pasta salad. The corn on the cob looks amazing too. You can make a lot of corn in a cooler and it'll stay hot for about 2 hours. Get a small crockpot of melted butter for dipping it in...
  • Marissa
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh I like the idea of also having chicken burgers! My fiance loves burgers, but I'm not a big fan myself, so I'd be down for chicken burgers. I've seen some cool salad station things on Pinterest I like that idea too!

• Marissa
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good to know! I've heard that before of keeping it simple, and makes sense not to give too many choices, plus makes it easier to plan and prepare. I agree with having salads there as well, and vegetarian burger is a neat idea. My mom, one of my friends, and my fiance's mom all don't eat bread, and my mom suggested lettuce wraps for the burgers. She also wants us to make baked potatoes, so I'll see if that works out. We aren't hiring caterers, so some of it I guess will depend how many helpers we can round up. Thanks for the input!

• Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven't done this (although we have considered it!) But I have a friend that did. I urge you to be *super* organized and have someone hand out the food. My friend had this adorable idea of burgers with all the fixings and they had cute little signs for suggestions for what to put on your burger plus sides like rosemary potatoes, salad, potato chips, etc. The problem is it was just a free for all and my table was the last to go up. So when I got up there all that was left was a couple cold potatoes and a bun and burger pattie; no toppings, no real side options, my friend who is a vegetarian and they bought specific vegetarian burgers for her had nothing to eat because whoever cooked didnt label them and didnt set one aside for her. People get greedy so allocate x bacon per person, x onions, pickles, etc. We loved the idea and it could have went so much better if they didnt just cook the burgers and let people help themselves.

Personally if we were to do this the option would be a beef burger or a vegetarian burger (I have a recipe for black bean burgers that our family loves so we would just make these ahead of time and freeze for the day of) and we would ask everyone a few weeks beforehand so we could prepare accordingly and then have them come up with their food card so there isnt any flip flopping from people the day of. The more options there are, the harder it is to know how much to order and the more room for error there is so I would keep it simple for mains. For sides you could do caesar or a greek salad, pasta salad/potato/macaroni salad, chips.
  • Genna
    Curious September 2022 Nova Scotia
    Genna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi, I haven’t done this but it’s also on my consideration list of food ideas! I was thinking of doing grill chicken burgers and beef burgers it gives people an option as well as different buns and toppings.The. was going to have a cold salad station (pasta salads, garden, slaw) and just some fruit and veggie trays. I wanted to go little non conventional on the supper!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics