Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
British Columbia

Bachelorette Party....x2?

Jamie, on February 28, 2020 at 14:23 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6

So this is a few part question..

First we need some background information. I am the maid of honor (and sister) for the bride. She is getting married in June in our neighboring province (about 8 hours away), so it's like a mini destination wedding. She gave everyone 1.5 years notice so they could plan accordingly.

We already had her bachelorette at the beginning of the month (February) due to work schedules. Me, her, her bridesmaid and two other girls did a destination Bach in Palm Springs. There were a few other girls invited but couldn't afford to go (totally understandable, and I didn't make them feel pressured to go either). We all split the cost of the Airbnb and her flights and because their was a seat sale it didn't really make much of a difference in our individual costs. But once all was said and done and with the price of food, drinks, Ubers, etc. it was round $1,000 each in the end.

My first questions is, is it okay to have a second bachelorette closer to the wedding? While in Palm Springs we didn't have a wild night out and it consisted more of girls nights in, etc. If I were to do a second Bach it would be a more traditional, girls night out with no financial commitment other than paying for your own drinks (Maybe $10 each to get a limo). I would invite basically anyone and everyone to this party (mom, mother in law, aunts, friends, etc.) and it would give the girls who couldn't afford to come to Palm Springs a chance to celebrate my sister's wedding. Is this too extra? I don't want the girls who came to Palm Springs to feel obligated to go and like her wedding is turning into a financial burden.

Second question, do I need to consult with the other bridesmaid about this or can I just plan it and tell her? While planning the Palm Springs trip she was very demanding and kept suggesting to do things I KNEW my sister wouldn't want to do, which made it difficult to work with her. Is it okay if I just go ahead and plan this second party without her input?

Lastly, should the Bachelorette party be the same day as Bridal Shower? My mom is planning to have my sister's bridal shower a month before the wedding. It is a brunch theme from 11am-2pm with drinks and food provided. Because some guests are out of town (1-3 hours away) I was thinking of having the Bachelorette that night to save them the trip of having to come down a second time. Is this two much for one day? Or is it better to kill two birds with one stone?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on March 4, 2020 at 17:02
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Choice is yours. you can do something local as a second night out but it seems like everyone has spent alot and may not want to spend a ton more. but yes go ahead and plan it. since you are MOH i would go ahead and plan it and let the other girls know whats been planned and ask if they want to help. and NO should not be the same day the bride will be exhausted and tired and possibly cleaning and dropping gifts to and from her house

• Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don’t do it the same day as the shower - too much other stuff going on. Might be nice for a few out of towners but what are they gonna be between shower and the “after party”? I had my shower last weekend and unloading and loading the car with gifts and just decor and bringing home left over food, getting ready, it was a bit exhausting honestly. YES - do tell the other bridesmaids so they are aware and if they choose to help plan, great. Keep in mind they have ready paid $1000 to attend the first Bach so avoid any additional extras ( limo sounds great and 10 bucks sounds cheap but these girls have already put in a lot of money). I think it’s a great idea still.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this sounds like a great idea. I'm having 2, one at a winery a few hours away with my closest friends for the weekend and the other will be more of the wild night out with a larger group.

I also think that as the maid of honour you don't need to involve the bridesmaid a lot, or at least not until much closer to the event. I also like the idea of using the same day as the shower, maybe having a BBQ afterwards before everyone starts to drink (or drink heavily!).
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds like a great idea imo - if I was one of the girls who couldn't afford to make it to the first one I think a simple night out of boozing is exactly what I would want to go to!

I would mention it to the other BM's but I would also not ask if they think it's a good idea and just tell them "hey, so you know how some people couldn't make it to the bachelorette? well I was thinking that we should do one here so that we can all attend for her last hurrah so here's the plan!" and then start suggesting dates that you could do it.

As for the same day.... On one hand I wanna say no because she will have to get all the gifts home and then she most likely will want to start putting things away and blah blah blah - but since there is a distance issue it does sound like it would be the best bet to put it on that same day.... I would see what the BM's have to say about that to see if it helps or hinders them.

• Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think having a second is totally reasonable. Especially if you're including more people & it's financially feasible for those going. I would make it clear that it's a fun night to celebrate the bride & try keeping costs to a minimum. If there is guests from out of town & they'll be at the shower, then it makes sense to hold it that night. Although make sure everyone who is invited to the shower is invited out later. No advice about the other bridesmaids,
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey there!

As maid of honor for my best friend, I did something similar. We had a mini getaway with just the bridal party out of town (shopping, dinner out etc) and then planned a 2nd one in our hometown so more ladies could attend that one with minimal financial commitment so I think its totally OK. I also think its ok to have it the same day as the shower, if its convenient for those out of town guests!

As for the 2nd part - sounds a bit difficult between yourself and the second bridesmaid, I'm not sure. When I was MoH, the other bridal party ladies were not interested in any of the planning so I ran with it and did my thing. Now for my bridal party all 3 of my ladies are super invested in the planning so they all consult each other with decisions (sometimes it becomes difficult so I get that). I would maybe just chat to the bridesmaid about it?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics