Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jacqueline
Newbie June 2019 Ontario

Average costs

Jacqueline, on January 31, 2018 at 14:37

Posted in Plan a wedding 92

Hey Ladies! I am newly engaged and I am looking at venues and caterers etc. I have NO CLUE what an average cost is per plate for people or for a venue etc. I do not know what a decent budget is for a wedding etc. What was the cost per plate at your wedding? What was the cost or percentage of your...
Hey Ladies!
I am newly engaged and I am looking at venues and caterers etc. I have NO CLUE what an average cost is per plate for people or for a venue etc.

I do not know what a decent budget is for a wedding etc.

What was the cost per plate at your wedding?
What was the cost or percentage of your budget that you spent on your venue?

92 Comments

• Kait
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kait ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Average is $120 and upwards. Ours is $200 per person and this includes unlimited wine pour, premium alcohol and liquor, cocktail hour and canapés, as well as a 3 course meal and a late night station. Our venue is on the upscale side plus we only invited 75 guests so that helps with the budget.

• Jenny
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My venue costs me $2,500 and I am budgeting $120 per person on food and drinks (tax and gratuity not included).

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Costs can vary wildly depending on what you're looking for, the size of your venue, the type of meal, etc. One person could do their wedding for 2000$, another couldn't imagine doing it for less than 100,000$!

The average cost of a wedding in Canada is between **** though, so keep that in mind!

• Kateland
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were looking at 10 thousand for a venue, and around 10 thousand for the caterer initially. We changed venue locations to a small cheap hall that has lots of outdoor space, caterer is $9000 and our wedding tent with all rentals is $4000, so we're pretty lucky!

• Catherine
    Frequent user July 2020 Quebec
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The place we are looking at starts at 110 pp (no taxes or fees incl). It includes 1 hour of open bar at cocktail, wine at dinner, 3 choices of canapes, appetizer, main meal, dessert, and a fruit table with the cake. (Coffee+tea as well) It's pretty expensive but the food and service is amazing, and the venue is stunning. It's a country club by the water. The venue is so beautiful I figure I will save on decorations, as you don't need to add much more.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s Windermere Manor in London, ON. They recently upped their price to $1800 I think but it’s still a great deal!
  • A
    Newbie February 2019 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What venue is this, if you don't mind me asking? sounds like a great price!

• A
    Newbie February 2019 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where are you looking to hold your wedding? This is an amazing price !

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding venue is a church hall (no taxes). The hall itself is $550 to rent which includes a bartender for the night. The plated food costs about $30-40 per person depending on the meal (includes appetiser, entree, tea, coffee, dessert). We're having approximately 100 guests.
    I recommend getting quotes from about 5 places that you are interested in and comparing them. We made a list of pros and cons.
  • Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting married just outside of Barrie, ON.

Our venue (ceremony & reception location) is $1625

Our price per plate is $50-55 I don't quite remember, however it includes appetizers, buffet dinner or served (price difference is about $2 more for served), dessert, all linens, plates, utensils and similar items, wine on the table at dinner, as well as their day of coordinating services.

There are other packages as well, one below this price and two above. You pick based on a package of what reflects your wants and needs.

I felt like compared to other packages in our area it came in lowest for price point for what you get for your money, as well as they had by far the best customer service.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is under $140 pp and includes hall rental, appetizer station, pasta course, salad course, entree course with 1 meat and 1 fish (and veggies, potatoes), plated dessert, sweet/fruit table, 3 late night stations, and deluxe open bar. Also includes all linens, chivari chairs, and day-of coordinator with hall.

• J
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Johanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey, I was wondering which venue was this at and if you did any special times such as brunch wedding, etc. Very interested in these prices as my fiance and I are in a budget. Thank you!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The average cost of plated dinner will start around $100 onwards per person depends on number of courses. This cost excludes oeuvres. If buffet service, then less around $70-75 per person.

Open bar in many places will cost more unless you have the guests paying their own.

Our venue in whole per person was $115 including ouvres, 4 course plated service, late night buffet of sandwiches, fruit and veggies. Open bar was part of the package.

• S
    Newbie April 2019 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi congrats on your wedding

Where is your venue?

• Karen
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I live in the GTA everything is so expensive.
  • Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Conestoga Catering in Kitchener
  • Karen
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where are you getting married? What is your venue info. I'm not trying to break my pocket.
  • Tiffany
    Beginner August 2019 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having the ceremony and reception at the same venue (golf course). It would be much, much, much cheaper if we were to host the reception elsewhere, but we do not want to make a hassle for both our guests and ourselves in terms of running around (and be tight on the timing).

The venue has a contract with a Chinese catering company. We could have went with a cheaper set menu, but we wanted some of the nicer dishes that are considered a delicacy. In the end, we chose the second most expensive one, which comes to a total of $224 per person (11 dishes and 1 dessert). Needless to say, most of the money towards the wedding is being spent towards food.

• T
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too! Getting married in April

• T
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

$121 pp here including upgraded plated meal, midnight buffet, bar, DJ, cake, decor, honeymoon suite and passed apps. Looking at approx $18K for venue/ ceremony and above. Its easily 60% of our budget.

• Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My package is $38 pp. including tax, tip, dessert, coffee, tea, setup, linens, tables, chairs. It's fully plated with waiters and the room fee was $350 to have both the ceremony and reception there. Id say 50% of our budget is going to food/drink/venue.

you can find places affordable like this, don't let a place rob you.

Oh and PS. our entire wedding should come out to $5200. getting married in 10 days

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The venue my fiancé and I chose does catering, and our package costs $145 per person. We will be having h'or oeuvres after the ceremony, followed by a four-course plated dinner during the reception. Majority of our wedding budget is going toward the catering and venue.

I'm not sure what the average cost per plate is as it depends on a number of factors such as the style (buffet, family style or a three to four-course plated dinner), the caterer, and your venue (as many have fees on top of the cost per plate that go toward paying bartenders/waiters/waitresses).

According to several sources (including Global News) the average cost of a wedding in Canada and the U.S. is around $30,000, but it can cost more or less depending on what you are looking for!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We used King's Plate Catering. Darren Lawn is the Chef/Owner. He is awesome!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We haven't hired the caterer yet, just have some quotes. The venue is country church and wedding barn in Chatham, we got SOOO lucky with booking them..they booked us then closed ALL availability till 2021 to spend more time with family. So we booked them right on time, thankfully!
  • Natalia
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What catering company are you using for the buffet?

• Natalia
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What catering company are you using for the buffer dinner?

• Natalia
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those are great prices! What venue and catering company are you using?

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a private venue so it was a bit more expensive. It includes full access for the week of the wedding, both ceremony and reception rooms, parking for guests, all the table and chairs, discount on select decorations and linen as well as day of coordination for $2500.
    As for catering we are expecting around $25-$35 per plate/person. But we are considering a family style service so we are unsure if this charge is different.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had a feeling it was going to be Universal as soon as you said modern!

We’re getting married at The Terrace ☺️
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m getting married at Universal event space. How about you?
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My venue is doing $60/plate, including cocktail hour hor d'oeuvres. That's for a salad, main meal and dessert. We are doing late night which costs more too. That does not include the alcohol. We are paying for a bar package on top of that. My venue is in Toronto.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooo what venue are you getting married at (if you don’t mind me asking)? Also getting married in Vaughan so I get excited to hear there’s someone else on here too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics