Jacqueline
Newbie June 2019 Ontario

Average costs

Jacqueline, on 31/January/2018 at 14:37 Posted in Plan a wedding
Hey Ladies!
I am newly engaged and I am looking at venues and caterers etc. I have NO CLUE what an average cost is per plate for people or for a venue etc.

I do not know what a decent budget is for a wedding etc.

What was the cost per plate at your wedding?
What was the cost or percentage of your budget that you spent on your venue?

Share:

58 Comments

• Peggy
    Expert May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·

Costs can vary wildly depending on what you're looking for, the size of your venue, the type of meal, etc. One person could do their wedding for 2000$, another couldn't imagine doing it for less than 100,000$!

The average cost of a wedding in Canada is between 30-35,000 though, so keep that in mind!

• Kateland
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Kateland ·

We were looking at 10 thousand for a venue, and around 10 thousand for the caterer initially. We changed venue locations to a small cheap hall that has lots of outdoor space, caterer is $9000 and our wedding tent with all rentals is $4000, so we're pretty lucky!

• C
    Curious May 2020 Quebec
    Catherine Online ·
    The place we are looking at starts at 110 pp (no taxes or fees incl). It includes 1 hour of open bar at cocktail, wine at dinner, 3 choices of canapes, appetizer, main meal, dessert, and a fruit table with the cake. (Coffee+tea as well) It's pretty expensive but the food and service is amazing, and the venue is stunning. It's a country club by the water. The venue is so beautiful I figure I will save on decorations, as you don't need to add much more.
  • Candace
    Super May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    View quoted message
    It’s Windermere Manor in London, ON. They recently upped their price to $1800 I think but it’s still a great deal!
  • A
    Newbie February 2019 Ontario
    Anna ·
    View quoted message

What venue is this, if you don't mind me asking? sounds like a great price!

• A
    Newbie February 2019 Ontario
    Anna ·
    View quoted message

Where are you looking to hold your wedding? This is an amazing price !

• Christine
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    Our wedding venue is a church hall (no taxes). The hall itself is $550 to rent which includes a bartender for the night. The plated food costs about $30-40 per person depending on the meal (includes appetiser, entree, tea, coffee, dessert). We're having approximately 100 guests.
    I recommend getting quotes from about 5 places that you are interested in and comparing them. We made a list of pros and cons.
  • Allison
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·

I am getting married just outside of Barrie, ON.

Our venue (ceremony & reception location) is $1625

Our price per plate is $50-55 I don't quite remember, however it includes appetizers, buffet dinner or served (price difference is about $2 more for served), dessert, all linens, plates, utensils and similar items, wine on the table at dinner, as well as their day of coordinating services.

There are other packages as well, one below this price and two above. You pick based on a package of what reflects your wants and needs.

I felt like compared to other packages in our area it came in lowest for price point for what you get for your money, as well as they had by far the best customer service.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·

Ours is under $140 pp and includes hall rental, appetizer station, pasta course, salad course, entree course with 1 meat and 1 fish (and veggies, potatoes), plated dessert, sweet/fruit table, 3 late night stations, and deluxe open bar. Also includes all linens, chivari chairs, and day-of coordinator with hall.

• J
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Johanna ·
    View quoted message

Hey, I was wondering which venue was this at and if you did any special times such as brunch wedding, etc. Very interested in these prices as my fiance and I are in a budget. Thank you!

• Vinod
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·

The average cost of plated dinner will start around $100 onwards per person depends on number of courses. This cost excludes oeuvres. If buffet service, then less around $70-75 per person.

Open bar in many places will cost more unless you have the guests paying their own.

Our venue in whole per person was $115 including ouvres, 4 course plated service, late night buffet of sandwiches, fruit and veggies. Open bar was part of the package.

• S
    Newbie April 2019 Ontario
    Sara ·
    View quoted message
    Hi congrats on your wedding

Where is your venue?

• Karen
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Karen ·
    View quoted message
    I live in the GTA everything is so expensive.
  • Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    View quoted message
    Conestoga Catering in Kitchener
  • Karen
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Karen ·
    View quoted message
    Where are you getting married? What is your venue info. I'm not trying to break my pocket.
  • Tiffany
    Beginner August 2019 Ontario
    Tiffany ·

We are having the ceremony and reception at the same venue (golf course). It would be much, much, much cheaper if we were to host the reception elsewhere, but we do not want to make a hassle for both our guests and ourselves in terms of running around (and be tight on the timing).

The venue has a contract with a Chinese catering company. We could have went with a cheaper set menu, but we wanted some of the nicer dishes that are considered a delicacy. In the end, we chose the second most expensive one, which comes to a total of $224 per person (11 dishes and 1 dessert). Needless to say, most of the money towards the wedding is being spent towards food.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles