Jacqueline
Newbie June 2019 Ontario

Average costs

Jacqueline, on 31/January/2018 at 14:37 Posted in Plan a wedding
Hey Ladies!
I am newly engaged and I am looking at venues and caterers etc. I have NO CLUE what an average cost is per plate for people or for a venue etc.

I do not know what a decent budget is for a wedding etc.

What was the cost per plate at your wedding?
What was the cost or percentage of your budget that you spent on your venue?

Share:

38 Replies

• Erin
    Featured September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    View quoted message
    We used King's Plate Catering. Darren Lawn is the Chef/Owner. He is awesome!

• Holly
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    View quoted message
    We haven't hired the caterer yet, just have some quotes. The venue is country church and wedding barn in Chatham, we got SOOO lucky with booking them..they booked us then closed ALL availability till 2021 to spend more time with family. So we booked them right on time, thankfully!
  • Natalia
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Natalia ·
    View quoted message

What catering company are you using for the buffet?

• Natalia
    Natalia ·
    View quoted message

What catering company are you using for the buffer dinner?

• Natalia
    Natalia ·
    View quoted message

Those are great prices! What venue and catering company are you using?

• Holly
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    We have a private venue so it was a bit more expensive. It includes full access for the week of the wedding, both ceremony and reception rooms, parking for guests, all the table and chairs, discount on select decorations and linen as well as day of coordination for $2500.
    As for catering we are expecting around $25-$35 per plate/person. But we are considering a family style service so we are unsure if this charge is different.
  • Bianca
    Featured August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    View quoted message
    I had a feeling it was going to be Universal as soon as you said modern!

We’re getting married at The Terrace ☺️
  • Carmela
    Frequent user April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    View quoted message
    I’m getting married at Universal event space. How about you?
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·

My venue is doing $60/plate, including cocktail hour hor d'oeuvres. That's for a salad, main meal and dessert. We are doing late night which costs more too. That does not include the alcohol. We are paying for a bar package on top of that. My venue is in Toronto.

• Bianca
    Featured August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    View quoted message
    Ooo what venue are you getting married at (if you don’t mind me asking)? Also getting married in Vaughan so I get excited to hear there’s someone else on here too!
  • Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·

We are getting married in march on a friday evening. we are doing a buffet dinner that costs $98/ person. this also includes 4 hour open bar and 2 glasses of wine each with dinner and also a cocktail hour. our biggest expense is the venue and it was still the cheapest we could find that also was not a dive..lol we are getting married in oakville. having our ceremony and reception at the same hotel. our total cost of venue is $7000 and that encludes dj supplied by them. the lady is a gem to work with. and i am also doing or have done most things myself already. make appointments and talkl to people.

• Carmela
    Frequent user April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·

We are getting married in a low costing season (Jan-April) in the city of Vaughn. Our hall is beautiful and very modern. The price we are paying for is 150$, which is low for what they wanted for peak season in October. This includes a antipasto bar, unlimited and premium bar/alcohol, a meat and fish, pasta, dessert and fruit, as well as late night menu of poutine, ice cream and porcetta. My guest won't stop eating so it seems lmao.

If your going to a hall in Toronto, be prepared to spend money, unless you go out of the city.

• Erin
    Featured September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·

Our venue was free as it was family property. Our catering cost about $54/person I think. That was for 3 types of hors d'oeuvres during the cocktail hour, buffet dinner with roast beef, chicken, 2 veggie sides, mashed potatoes, 2 salads, dinner rolls and a few vegetarian meals, and also a late night snack of sliders.

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    We booked our local agricultural hall which is 15$/person for buffet dinner. This includes one meat, mashed potatoes, vegetable, salads, pickles, dessert, coffee and tea.

O ur budget is about $10,000 and the majority of it went to our photographer at about $3000. I always wanted a barn setting and the hall inside actually looks like one so that worked out well! And the hall runs the bar, which will be a cash bar, we are making our own wine at about $4.50/bottle for table wine to serve with dinner.
    I called around to all of the local vendors before deciding and making sure I had a checklist of what I wanted so they could price accordingly.
    If you're doing a hackyard wedding, I would look into and local BBQ vendors, they seemed to be a cost efficient vendor
  • Jacqueline
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Jacqueline ·
    Hey Everyone!!
    Thank you all so much for your advice, kind words and information. I live in Beamsville but my parents live in Rockwood. I am open to getting married anywhere from here to there really.

I know I want a rustic style wedding so outdoor ceremony and maybe reception in a barn like setting. I have the option to get married in my parents backyard they have ten acres which would be great.

I love the style of Cambium Farm but if I choose them as a venue I have to choose their caterer which starts at $150/plate (7hr open bar included in this price, three course meal all the tables chairs cutlery and gratuity). It seems like alot of $$.

I have a draft of our guest list and it is at 160 people! I have been trying to cut people out but it is hard to do.
  • Candace
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    Our venue is $1600 and that includes ceremony and reception location, tables and chairs for both, the wait staff, wedding coordinator, our hotel room for the night, rain plan for the ceremony, napkins/linens/drinkware/cutlery for the reception, set up and tear down, bartenders, SOCAN fees, wedding insurance, complimentary 1 year anniversary dinner, audio equipment for speeches, and rehearsal dinner space.

Per person we are paying $40/adult and $20/child for the 4 course meal and and $20/table for wine (one white and one red).

We also have our DJ, caterer, officiant, videographer, open bar, outfits, cake, stationary, transportation, flowers (bouquets, boutinnieres, corsages) and wedding party gifts in our budget.

Overall with all the costs we have confirmed right now we are looking at spending $10,000-$11,000 on the wedding unless we upgrade our videographey package or other stuff

Comment on this discussion

Related articles