Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Attire - Splurge or Save?

Lynnie, on August 19, 2019 at 10:28 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 21

Dresses and tuxes and suits - oh my!! Smiley love Are you splurging or saving on your wedding day attire?

Attire - Splurge or Save? 1

Photo from Brittany Silla Beauty in Oakville, ON

Next Question: Invitations - Splurge or Save?

Back to the Beginning: Splurge or Save?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on August 21, 2019 at 18:50
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saved. Ish. I did buy new but stuck to our budget!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Saved on his- will be splurging on mine

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I splurged on mine and saved on his.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oof, big (accidental) splurge here on my dress. we spent double what i thought we would - oops!
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    FI splurged and I saved.
    It makes sense -- He needed a good suit so he found an amazing one. It was definitely a splurge but worth it. I spent about 1/6th of what he paid for his suit on my dress.

I also bought our daughter a dress. In terms of floor length dresses, it was a good deal but not cheap. I bought my son inexpensive dress pants and shirt and then splurged on a tie (Dungeons and Dragons themed from Etsy), hoping that would be appealing to him and not wear sweats. I'm still not sure he will wear it, though.
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are saving! There’s other areas that are too important to us to spend such a chunk of our budget on attire that we will wear only for a couple hours. Of course we will look good, but we’re being very particular so we can get the price range we want Smiley smile
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven't gone dress shopping yet....so I'm afraid....very afraid.... I have an idea of what I want. We are not sure whether FH will buy or rent yet....
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge!

I wanted to save, but my FH told me to splurge since I was only going to wear that dress once.

• S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save on my end, maybe splurge on his end! I'm one of those brides who isn't at all picky about the wedding dress and doesn't spend all day thinking about her wedding dress loool, I care more about everything else in the wedding than what I wear so for me, as long as it looks great and I feel comfortable, I'm sold! He's really into suits/tuxes in general so he wants to go all in on this haha.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both. I went a little higher than my budget on my dress but the grooms and groomsmen will be renting so they'll save some there.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saving! Grooms & groomsmen are renting, we paid $125 for the bridesmaids dresses and my dress was $900.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save, I guess? This is harder than things like the venue to really classify. Versus our budget, yes...In my own mind, more good deals than saving.

The budget for my dress was $1000. I found one for $750 including all customization and alterations. The owner of the shop is a family friend so she's doing the alterations/changes for free. Under budget, Yay!

For accessories, my mom bought my day-of jewelry at the same shop as a gift. My headpiece I got off Etsy and on sale 20% off with the back log of gift cards I had piling up from many a Xmas and birthday, so no out-of-pocket cost. If I have a veil, I am making it myself because even the supplies to make two veils (for a learning curve) would cost less than $50.00. Thanks to my Student Price Card, I'm going to get 15% off my shoes too.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save. My fiance found his suit jacket for $80 and the wedding dress I plan on ordering today or tomorrow is $230 ($260 with the custom sizing option) on JJs House online. That's saving on the dress and alterations.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yet another splurge!

Our tux rental place will let us buy-out FH's suit at a discounted rate, which we might take advantage of, but it'll increase our attire budget.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We saved some money here. I didn't spend as much as I thought I would on my dress, so bonus. My FH has also come to the realization purchasing a tux is too expensive, so he will rent now. I'm happy about this!

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save! My dress is beautiful and me to a T with a few accessories bought off amazon like a sash and my hairpiece all of it costing less then 1000$. FH would wear sweatpants to the ceremony if I let him so he will probably save, although I wouldn't mind him splurging on his suit because mine was so cheap.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Splurge!

Husbands wedding outfit with accessories was worth the cost to see him look good in it and his suit for reception. No doubt this would have had to be done one way or another.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Saving I guess. My FH is renting his suit as opposed to buying. My dress was maybe about average price.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not sure as of yet. I think we are keeping it pretty average tbh.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saving maybe. My Dad paid for my dress and we are paying for FH suit rental.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Saving? I'm not sure, technically my parents paid for my dress and veil so we only had to pay for my FH's suit which he will no doubt wear again and again and again.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics