Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Attending a wedding solo?

Lynnie, on April 18, 2018 at 13:40 Posted in WeddingWire 0 14

Have you ever (or would you ever) attending a wedding alone?

Does it make it difference if your fiancé(e) wasn't invited to the wedding, or if they are busy?

My husband and I have attended quite a few weddings solo! Sometimes one of us had a scheduling conflict, and sometimes we've had two weddings in one weekend and have decided to divide and conquer. I skipped a wedding for my husband's friend who I'd never met before last year - we weren't close friends, the wedding involved a cross-country flight, and my husband was able to split a room with a bunch of his guy friends for cheap - so I thought it all worked out well!

What about you?? Would you attend a wedding solo? What factors do you consider when making that decision?

Attending a wedding solo? 1

Photo from Happenings Party Rentals in Collingwood, ON

14 Comments

Latest activity by JuneBride, on April 20, 2018 at 12:38
  • J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on the situation. I would go if my fiancee couldn't make it and if I had friends or family going to the wedding. I wouldn't go if I wasnt allowed to bring my fiancee. I also wouldn't go if my fiancee couldnt make it and I wouldnt know anyone besides the bride and/or groom.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd go solo if I knew the people getting married/knew a lot of people going. I wouldn't go if it was for someone my FH knows and I didn't

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never attended a wedding solo and most-likely wouldn't unless my FH was away for business at the time (he travels A LOT for work). If we had a friend or family member host a wedding where only one of us were invited I doubt we'd go.

• Naomi
    Curious September 2018 British Columbia
    Naomi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve attended a couple of weddings solo. The first one I only knew the groom and his immediate family (didn’t even meet his bride until during the reception). I’m glad I went, but I was pretty bored as I didn’t know anybody there.

The second one I was very good friends with the bride, and since we ran in the same circles when we were younger I knew about half of the guests, some of whom I hadn’t seen for years. It was fun to catch up!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think either of us would be ok attending a wedding solo. We are most likely attending 2 weddings together this year and have previously attended 4 weddings together since we started dating. My husband can make friends anywhere with anyone but I would feel more comfortable if I knew some people already.

I attended my aunt's wedding solo but that was back when I was in my teens.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It would depend, I am a fairly shy person. If I don't know a lot of ppl I might turn it down, it would also depend on how close I am to the bride or groom.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've attended most weddings solo! Although, I have always known many people there (cousins, friends from high school, church) and most of the rest of us were single so it worked!

I have attended one wedding solo since dating my fiance and we attended one together. This year, we have three weddings after ours and I will most likely be attending those solo! My fiance works most weekends and is using his vacation time for our wedding, so I would rather attend alone than him cut our honeymoon short so he can attend other weddings with me!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yup, twice! The first, I was single. The second, my now FH wasn’t able to fly out with me so I went solo! Both times I had plenty of fun.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yep. my fiance couldnt make it, so i went solo.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have. FH didnt want to come to one of my friends wedding... I think he was gone camping that weekend? So i went solo. It was a lot of fun but i knew a decent anount of other people there.

Not sure i would have fun at a wedding solo if i didnt know a lot of people!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We definitely try to go to them together but either of us would go solo if one of us couldn’t make it for some reason. I think he’d be more willing to than me since I’m such a homebody lol takes a lot to get me out sometimes! But if it’s someone I’m very close with I would never miss it even if I didn’t have my fiancé with me
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Neither of us have gone to a wedding solo yet. If it's close and local I don't see why not, I don't think it's a big deal. We may not have as much fun without each other. One of his friends is planning to get married summer 2020 in Ontario but we plan to have children soon so with the flight and travel I will mostly skip it (if there is a baby of course) and have him go alone as he will likely be the best man.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance was a groomsman in his friend's wedding about a year and a half ago. My cousin's wedding was the weekend before, both weddings out of town. I was only a couple months into a new job, so I had to choose which wedding I would take a day off for. Obviously I chose my family... so my fiance attended the second one alone. Another cousin got married in Mexico about 10 months into us dating (several years ago) so we weren't at a place yet where he wanted to spend 2 grand on my cousin's wedding. I attended that alone, and it wasn't that fun. It felt like a waste of a trip to go single, when almost everyone else had a S.O.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven’t gone to a wedding solo yet. We are going to one this weekend that my fiancé is a groomsman in, so even though we’ll both be there, I won’t be able to sit with him. I’ll probably only get to spend time with him when it’s time for dancing. I’m a bit nervous about it because I’m introverted, and it’s easier to deal with weddings when we’re together.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics