Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

At every wedding you attend are you taking notes on what you want to steal?

Joey, on May 14, 2018 at 08:39 Posted in Before the wedding 0 29

It's time to confess whether wedding planning has taken over your life!

Before you got engaged, all the weddings you attended seemed to blend into one another. But since you've started wedding planning you can't help but pick out every detail of every wedding you go to. You're studying each wedding and keeping track of what you would (and what you would never) copy for your wedding.

giphy.gif

>>Click here to go to the next question, Do your conversations seem to always somehow end up being about weddings?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Jessie, on June 20, 2018 at 11:58
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No because I haven't been to a wedding since I've been engaged. What i do though is I go back on pictures and think about previous weddings and kind of get ideas from that.

• Leah
    Newbie December 2018 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't really pay attention before. Now I'm engaged and I find myself checking out things more closely.

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually attended another wedding for the first time afew weeks ago. I was really excited to finally have something to go off of and can see myself doing afew things differently.
  • Marleau
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is sorta true, I’ve only been to 1 wedding since getting engaged and I definitely got some great ideas from it.
  • Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nothing has really seemed outstanding yet, so far every wedding has been a dud and we haven't been impressed. most of the weddings we go to have also been terribly rushed engagements. and my cousin is a wedding planner, so i definitely took a couple of notes from her book and made sure we planned what we wanted and who we wanted to go with and booked them early to make sure we weren't just settling.

I'm fairly confident our wedding will be a lot better than what we have attended but at the end of the day we tell ourselves that this is what that couple considered "their day" and even when we get married, people might think ours was terrible but at least we did it the way we wanted and at the end of the day wed be married and with each other Smiley tongue

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Based on the 2 weddings I’ve recently been in, I’ve put together a list of “nopes”. That’s what led to us not having a backyard celebration as originally intended (too many bugs!), and to me suggesting to my FH that we opt not to have a wedding party.

Although - weeks ago I started giving thought to the idea of just having children in our wedding party. If we go that route now everyone will just say we copied Meghan and Harry.(I’ll probably still do it though)

Tbh - I find WW and Pinterest to be really good for inspiration. These community groups help and I tend to come here to search for discussions to help us decide.

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Only an unplugged ceremony ever since I found out they're a trend, "the shoe game" & having a Chinese Lion Dance.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are things done at most weddings which have followed tradition through recent weddings since 2015 in the family. Others were just dress code to change due to the temperature to avoid sweat.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't been to a wedding since well before we got engaged.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No not really! Pinterest was a good aid though
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't attended any weddings since getting engaged but I definitely got some inspiration from previous weddings, weather it was stuff to do or not to do.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven't attended a wedding in years..and have no plans to attend one before the wedding.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not attending any weddings throughout my engagement... but I'm constantly reading everyone's ideas/comments on here, and searching like mad on Pinterest.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The last wedding we went 2 was almost 2 yrs ago and we weren't even engaged, so never really thought about it. The wedding that's happening before ours is a couple weeks....so by then most things will be finalized

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I actually have only ever been to maybe 3 weddings my whole life. The most recent one was my sister-in-laws so I certainly pulled some inspiration from hers. It was a few years before mine though and we have different tastes, so there wasn't much the same. She helped by sharing her day-of timeline though and little things that I wasn't sure how to do.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A week after we got engaged, we went to my cousins wedding which was VERY basic. It was hands down one of the most fun weddings I've ever been to, but there was a lot I noticed that I never noticed at weddings before lol.

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Guilty! Our wedding is only 3 and a half months away, so the last wedding we went to there were definitely some things I took note of. But no more note taking... the next wedding we attend is our own!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No. I'm having to much fun at the wedding to remember anything about the decor itself haha.

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not engaged long enough to be able to actually do that.

The last wedding we went to was his brother's, and it was just a couple weeks before we got engaged. I knew it was about to come, so I took some mental notes, but I was also very careful not to copy since we're getting married just 6 months after them.

The only other wedding we'll be attending is a week before ours, so it will be too late.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Kind of, it’s hard because we can’t steal a load of ideas because it’s FH’s brother’s wedding next and his sister’s was last year so if they’re too similar it will be noticed.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do this, but haven't been to a lot of weddings.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, haha. Although i’ve been doing this for years, before I met my fiancé and even when I was single
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes!! Haha
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although we have yet to attend any weddings - every social we have been to we have been taking notes of where the prizes have come for and how much the are charging for drink tickets Smiley smile

(Woo hoo Manitoba Socials are the best!)

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So guilty!!! My husband and I have always done this at weddings, and it got even worse while we were engaged! Smiley shame

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haven’t been to a wedding in 8 months, so no.
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve only ever been to one wedding and that was almost 5 years ago now. So no, I’m not really stealing anything
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t really look for what I want to steal as much as what I would do differently...like what didn’t work well.
  • J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haven't been to a wedding since we got engaged. I do have a wedding come up in October and I plan on taking mental notes of what they did that was different and if there is something I disliked.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics