Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Devoted October 2018 Ontario

Are you doing Bride-groom Presents?

Sara, on April 27, 2018 at 15:24 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 31

Is this a thing?

I keep seeing things on Pinterest and I don't know if this is a thing people actually do. We're paying for our own wedding, so that should be present enough right? I just don't now, and really neither does my FH....

31 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on August 16, 2018 at 10:20
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped the gifts for each other part since the wedding was enough for us to look forward to. The cost of gifts was priceless since we have each other to cherish and go out throughout the years for dinners.

• Tasha
    Curious April 2019 Alberta
    Tasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with you, actually. I said to my fiance "so.. we're not doing husband/wife gifts for each other, right?"

his response was "what?? I didn't even know that was a thing?? The marriage is the gift, is it not? lol".

So no. We're also paying for the wedding ourselves, so yeah. That'll be gift enough! Plus a killer honeymoon (hopefully)

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh I misunderstood. No we’re not doing those. We buy each other gifts all the time.
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m torn. I think I’d like to get the ladies something small, like wine tumblers. And ties for the guys. But I do find that and favours very confusing.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I haven't discussed this, but I imagine our honeymoon and the day-of letters will be more than enough for the two of us.

• B
    Newbie October 2018 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s about letting him know that you are excited for the day. Usually you give sexy photos in an album or calendar. It’s more a DIY then spending a lot of money
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided on no wedding gifts... Our honeymoon is going to cost a small fortune so we decided that we would rather put money towards doing something fun out there we wouldnt normally do Smiley smile

But then i do what i always do and get excited about getting him something so i booked a boudoir shoot so he will be getting an album of my boudoir photos...
  • Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted us to trade perfume/cologne. we Would pick what we wanted each other to wear but honestly cost is getting to us so i think it would be best just to write a cute note to each other and leave it at that

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly haven't thought too much into this. I honestly wouldn't know what to get him because he has everything he wants/needs lol.

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks, I’ll probabky just do a letter too. I think it’ll be more special anyway
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are paying for the wedding ourselves - we are doing gifts, but they are small things rather than some big elaborate gesture. I'm giving him a photobook of boudoir pictures - I've traded my sewing skills for my amazing photographer friends skills, and I'll be using a groupon to purchase the book, so all in it will be less than 50$. I don't know what he's getting me! We are also exchanging letters at the same time.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I personally think this is the best idea! Save up and maybe do an extra excursion or something!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't give each other gifts. We decided to put a little extra money into our honeymoon instead.

• Tezber
    Beginner October 2018 British Columbia
    Tezber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agreed. Just shaking every last dollar out of the brides and grooms. Haha.
  • Tezber
    Beginner October 2018 British Columbia
    Tezber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope. I can’t imagine having that on my list as well. The wedding is our day and sharing it with friends and family is the best gift. I love the idea of a note the morning of to each other. That’s perfect. But don’t feel obligated to do anything that is ‘suggested’. Do what feels right for the two of you ☺️
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing gifts. The day is going to be special enough!

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We to are paying for our wedding ourselves. He doesn’t want a wedding band but I will insist that he wears one. So I’ll be buying that for him and then after that I thought I’d like to get him some cuff links with our initials on them for him to wear on our wedding day but nothing else. I don’t need a gift either.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really think it’s just more of an individual decision. I think if you want to get your partner a gift, great! If you don’t want to get your partner a gift, great! I think I’ll send my FH a love note with a nice bottle of bourbon (his fav) but I don’t want him to know, because I don’t want him to get my anything. It’s nothing major at all, Just a little something. We are paying for our wedding ourselves as well, so it’s not going to be an extravagant gift
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ohhhhhh man! No offence to anyone who is doing it, but this seems like such a scammy "trend" made to get more money out of brides and grooms. I plan on writing a note for him to read the morning of, but no gifts. I'm his gift, and he's mine. I think my life is certainly gift enough Smiley winking Don't spend the money. Save gifts for important anniversaries.
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing gifts, we thinks it is an unnecessary expense. We are going to write each other letters and I think that is more meaningful.

• Markie
    Beginner November 2018 Ontario
    Markie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying for the wedding ourselves as well and thought it was silly to add 1 more expense! We don't want to add more stress. If you guys both don't know or care- o say skip it. You can treat eachother for the rest of your life
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a letter to each other. I'm not sure if we'll do gift as we already received a beautiful baby girl. Smiley smile
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are writing a note to each other and giving a $5 gift. I am getting him a Smirnoff Ice (for those who know about "icing" people with them) and I think he will love it!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I agreed on not spending money that we don’t need to. Our wedding is a month before Christmas. And it’s a week before my birthday. Extra stuff is not necessary.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing boudoir for him - it’s a surprise, he’ll get an album on the day of and we’re writing each other letters but I don’t really expect a gift. Weddings are expensive and I think it’s up to you what you want to do. You could skip it if you don’t want to give gifts I don’t think it’s necessary totally up to you!
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got gifts for each other, but we'll give them more so as a celebration of our 10th anniversary after he comes home
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We did the same thing! Skipped wedding day presents and treated ourselves on the honeymoon!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No. We decided to save that money for our honeymoon!
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided that we will buy each other a little something on our honeymoon as our gifts to each other. Just a little souvenir or something to help us remember our honeymoon.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the concept of "gifts" has gotten really big, and people go overboard... Traditionally you give each other a little something... something more personal, with perhaps a love note/letter to open before the wedding.

My friends gave each other letters, and she gave her hubby a watch, engraved with something cute/cheesy.

I'm considering getting my fiance a boudoir shoot of me... A calendar, or book or something. A gift just for him. Or possibly a watch (he loves watches), that he'd wear for the wedding.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was gunna say.... i think I AM the gift ahahah!!! Smiley xd I'm kidding (mostly) but I don't think we'll give each other gifts? I plan on getting something for his parents but I think I'd we'll save our money for the honeymoon... or maybe our new home hahah!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics