Kaisha
Super March 2019 Nova Scotia

Anyone skipping on traditions?

Kaisha, on April 29, 2018 at 22:53 Posted in Plan a wedding

We are skipping a lot of traditions, the more I talk to people I feel its more common.

What we are skipping,

1. Traditional cake - we will do cupcakes or DIY dessert table
2. Bouquet/garter toss
3. We will have online RSVPs and no programs
4. traditional wedding party, we will have a male on my side and females on my FHs side.
5. Mother son and father daughter dance
6. favours, my mom is still trying to convince us otherwise though.
7. no bridal shower or engagement party
8. No honey moon, we will probably take a trip before the wedding.
9. Receiving line
I have not decided if I will wear a veil or if my dress will be white. I am also sure I am missing something.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and what you will be doing or skipping.

Share:

34 Comments

• Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    Skipping garter/bouquet toss. Our wedding is so small and everyone there is married or long term relationship. My best friend is bothering the you-know-what out of me for the bouquet toss. Saying its bad luck not have it etc. I'm tired of explaining why I'm not doing it. I just don't see the point. I want to keep my bouquet, her argument is getting a toss bouquet. I don't feel like I want to spend $22 on a special toss bouquet when I don't want to do it in the first place.

We're skipping the receiving line, grand exit, and the something old, something blue etc.
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute

We are skipping some traditions as well

1. Garter toss 2. engagement party 3. delayed honeymoon 4. receiving line (I feel like theres more but I can't think of them right now)

• J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    We aren't doing the bouquet and garter toss. We arent having a send off (mainly because that's not a tradition on my side). We aren't having a program. We are having a receiving line but it will only be myself with FH and our parents. The bridal party doesn't need to be there. Not sure what you mean by traditional wedding party. No clinking on glass (venues don't want that anymore). Only game we are having is to win the center pieces.
  • Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

Yes some of the reasons we skipped things was cost and some we felt just weren't needed.

• Megis
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    Yeah skipping on a bunch of "traditions" part if it is costs. Other part is I find s bunch of things unnecessary.
  • Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

I agree, times change and a lot of these things aren't expected anymore.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    We are akipping almost all of those as well! The only one we arent is the wedding party... Only because any guys i would invite are already in my FHs party and any girls he would invite are in mine...

And we are doing a honeymoon but itll be delayed by a couple months as we plan to go backpacking for 8 weeks.

The other thing we will not do traditionally is we will be taking photos and signing the papers before the ceremony for logistic reasons.

• Marleau
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    We’re skipping quite a few of those things as well. There just not necessary anymore.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute

We're skipping:

Receiving Line

Garter/bouquet toss

Cake

Invites (we emailed them!)

potentially mom/son, dad/daughter dances

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute

We wont have a grand exit or receiving line.

My FH won't dance with his mom, since she's out of the picture, but he'll dance with his FMIL Smiley smile I have both my dad and my FFIL to dance with lol.

We are also having a less-than-traditional wedding party, he'll have a best woman.

We are still torn if we are doing bouquet/garter tosses. I'll still have a veil but it's birdcage not the usual veil.

That's about it for now, doing a lot of traditions still lol

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    We definitely skipped some things! No garter or bouquet toss, no “send off”, and I skipped “something old, new, borrowed, and blue”!
  • Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

I love the idea of watching each other down the aisle. We are skipping the dances because my FH doesn't have a great relationship with his mom. I will definitely dance with my dad at some point but he will probably be relieved that its not a big thing.

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute

We're skipping quite a lot of traditions:

1. No wedding cake, just dessert from our venue's menu (could be cake or something else)

2. No bouquet or garter toss (there won't be a bouquet and a garter at all, actually)

3. No flowers in general

4. No save the dates, online RSVPs, no programs

5. No special dance except for the first dance (if we're having dance at all)

6. No favours, but I haven't really seen them in many weddings around here

7. No bridal shower or engagement party

8. No veil or tiara

9. No glass clinking for kisses, but we'll do something else (I've seen anecdotes, songs, rolling a huge dice, etc. in other weddings)

We aren't sure if we're doing a first look. My fiancé first seemed dead set on not seeing me before, but he's warming up to the idea, especially since he realized how long the pictures would take otherwise.

I'm not sure about the receiving line, but so far I hadn't considered doing one.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute

1. we are having a small cake to cut/for photos. our venue meal comes with dessert.

2. no bouquet/garter toss. but am going to honour a couple that are like parents to me (thinking I may also play their wedding song with it)

3. Favours i'm hit and miss on. am thinking maybe just something small (like little bags of Hershey kisses with a thank you sticker/tag)

4. I wasn't going to do a receiving line. and my dj/coordinator made a really good point for our size of wedding (200 guests invited). that it would be really difficult to stop and talk at every table and would be more time consuming than a receiving line as people come to the reception. he says its quicker to say thank you/love you/hug etc.

• Megis
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    1. Bridal shower- we have all our household stuff

2. Engagement party - I find these pointless. Everyone knows you're engaged already.

3. Bachelorette party- I dislike these and find them vulgar

4. Wedding dance - I can't dance and our venue is more food oriented

5.garter toss- skip

6. Limo - just find it unnecessary

7. Speeches - limiting this one. They can end up being boring

I think that's all our skips. Concentrating on food, fashoon, family and wedding games.
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute

A little of both:

No engagement party or shower (I thinkSmiley smile

No garter or bouquet toss

Three little glorious letters : P-I-E!

No head table

Boy/Girl on each side of us, no ringbearers or flower girls or minors of any variety

Paper RSVP for only those you know need them

No rehearsal dinner - doing a wine/cheese welcome (Winery 5 hrs out of town)

Yes to:

Not seeing each other before the wedding

A dramatic cathedral veil and classical music for the wedding march

Programs only if it is so hot we need them as fans

Comment on this discussion

Related articles