Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Susanne
Curious September 2020 Alberta

Anyone Catholic and got married Outside?

Susanne, on October 24, 2019 at 16:20 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 5

Is anyone Catholic who got married outdoors? If so what was your process, what did the priest say and how did all end up on your big day. My finance is a Non-Catholic Christian and we have a venue to do an outdoor wedding ceremony but my parents want it in a church . So we were thinking of doing it the day before and if that isn't granted then we are just going to do a ceremony outdoor how we planned and have scripture readings.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Susanne, on October 30, 2019 at 17:07
  • Susanne
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Susanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have talked to the priest and he is fine with is having a small church ceremony during the week and then a ceremony celebration and reception on the saturday.
    The parents aren't happy about still.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You just need to find an officiant. since your FH isnt catholic you wont be able to have a full mass

• Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can definitely do an outdoor ceremony but a Catholic priest is not able to perform it because they are only allowed to perform marriages inside the Catholic church. You'll have to get a different officiant if you want an outdoor ceremony. Do what YOU want, it doesn't matter what your parents want.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not Catholic but we did a religious ceremony outdoors. For us, it was the content of the ceremony not the location. Some more “traditional” (aka older generation) people thought it was weird but it was our wedding and we didn’t think we would lose any of the religious aspect having it outdoors. That being said, I have never actually heard of a catholic ceremony being outside. But, ask around and see if a priest will do it. If not, talk to your parents. Explain your reasoning for an outdoor ceremony and that it is your and your husbands wedding and your faith. I think it’s important to recognize their beliefs but also stress this is about you and your husband and your beliefs as a couple.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Religious Officiants are available to marry out outside of the Church by going to the city hall near you. The ceremony can be held outside as you wish to do and not have to have it done inside the church. This compromise will make all happy in the endf or your mom and you two.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics