Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Anybody ever done family style dinner?

Kelly, on August 16, 2018 at 16:34 Posted in Wedding reception 1 15

We're thinking of switching from buffet to family style. It will cost the same and we like that its somewhere between served and buffet, and its a bit more homey.

Neither if us have ever been to a wedding that did family style though. Has anybody here done their dinner that way, or been to a wedding that did?

Thoughts/experiences?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on March 6, 2019 at 12:52
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There has been a wedding I attended and it was family style which was nicely done as to your point of not getting up and getting in line. It does save the time of having your guests wait to be called or being hungry.

I say go for it as it will be great for them all to enjoy and help themselves to different variety offered.

• b.lisabeth
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    b.lisabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have been to a wedding where the salad and pasta was plated, then the entree was family style. We loved it and will be going full family-style for ours! I think our canopés during cocktail hour will be set up on a table, however (sort of buffet style).
  • Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What is the difference?? Im actually wondering it. We are planning on having at least 1 handicappable person, and we want him to feel included and not left out.
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just have one suggestion for family style... make sure there is a vegetarian option! The one wedding we went to, we had to state our meal choice on the rsvp. I don’t eat meat, so I chose vegetarian. When it came to dinner, it was family style, which was no problem! They brought out mashed potatoes, then green beans, then chicken, then beef... then that was it. So for dinner I ate one small scoop of mashed potatoes, and a couple green beans - I was starving!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I attended a wedding where dinner was served family style and it really suited the theme of the wedding. It was in a wooden beach house, the décor was DIY, the bride sang with her folk band, and the table set up was three long tables seating approximately 25 people per table.

I say, as long as it goes with your wedding style, it can work Smiley smile

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s a great idea and hope that our caterer offers it.
  • Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have never had family style at a wedding before but it sounds lovely. We are doing a brunch buffet style although I might like something else, that is what they offer.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would vote against doing ALL food family style. It can get messy and awkward...
    Were doing a buffet but breads and salads will be family style!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    IMO its the absolute best way to serve food at a wedding! I wish our venue offered it! It beats plated because you can take what you want, and it’s beats buffet because you don’t have to get up and wait in line(huge pain when in heels) plus everyone eats at the same time!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did attend a family friends wedding where family style was served given variety of veg and non-veg dishes. Rice and Naan (Indian bread were also served)

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been to two. I liked it better than plated because they would refill dishes. You also had the option of taking how much of each item you want. I think there is more waste than plated though, because they'll bring a full plate back even if only 2 people wanted more, so the rest would go to waste.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also. In terms of what brittany said in terms of too much on table. Doesnt happen in windsor. Because they bring stuff out a platter/course or 2 together.
    Like potatoes and veggies will come out at same time. But meat will be a couple min later.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dooooooooooooo it!!!!!!!!

We are. Its super common in windsor. As in EVERY hall and caterer does it.

As a wedding guest. I love it because you can eat as much or as little as you want of each course. And its almost as formal as plated. Without waiting forever for food.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going with a buffet, but i HAVE been to a wedding with family style food. It was actually really great! There was plenty of food for us each to serve ourselves at the table and have what portions we wanted. And it was very nice not having to wait ages in line at the buffet or wait for your table to be called. For a larger wedding it was a good option.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't been to a wedding that has done it... however I watch a lot of Four Weddings... haha. And the constant response to family style food is: good quality, but no room on the table.

So if you can ensure there will be PLENTY of space on the table for family style plating, then go for it... if you've planned for place cards, and favours, and centrepieces and table numbers and signs... then think about your layout.

Aside from that, I think much like a buffet, people enjoy taking exactly how much, and what, they want to eat.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics