Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
VIP April 2019 British Columbia

“...and a sixpence in her shoe.”

Leah, on April 3, 2019 at 14:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
I picked up my sixpence today from a local coin store. The something old/new etc. tradition is one of the few aspects of western/Anglo wedding “norms” that we’re keeping.

The owner suggested that the coin should have been gifted to me, and I shrugged bc I don’t really care if it is or not. I’m just excited to have picked one up for a decent price and it’s dated with my mum’s birth year so that’s extra serendipitous. Now I just have to figure out how to adhere it to the inside of my shoe.

Are you putting a sixpence in your shoe? Was it gifted to you or did you get it yourself?

“...and a sixpence in her shoe.” 1

“...and a sixpence in her shoe.” 2

11 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on April 10, 2019 at 03:45
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's nice that you're keeping up with tradition! I'm not doing this one tho (since I didn't know about it until right now lol).

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm from England so getting a six pence is super easy for me but I decided against doing it because the shoes I have it will either be super uncomfortable with it in there or fall out!
    That's super cool that you got one, I also didn't know it was supposed to be gifted...just look at this as a gift to your self!!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I found mine at a local coin shop!
    I’m pretty sure I learned about the full saying here on a WW!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having a sixpence as well! I bought it myself though, I got it from etsy. It's also dated from my the year my mom was born. I'm just gonna tape it in my shoe, I looked into having the sole cut for it to slot in but I figure after an hour or two I won't even notice it's there.
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is pretty cool! I’ve never heard of a 6 pence. I had to google it 🤦🏼‍♀️ Where did you find this?
  • Sinéad
    WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway
    Sinéad ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is great Leah! You seem to be getting all of your finishing touches together for your wedding day! Not long left!! Smiley love

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My cousin has one that she is lending me. How cool that is the year of your mom's birth year, like it was meant to be.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly didn't think I could buy one lol. Love the idea of it though!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So cute! I love this.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great find!

I'm not doing the sixpence in the shoe but that's awesome that you found one!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's awesome! I didn't know it was supposed to be gifted though... who would ever know to gift that to the bride for the wedding nowadays though! Heck, if I manage to get one it will be all me!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics