Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sierra
Curious June 2018 British Columbia

Am i the only one who has considered buying "wedding planning for dummies"??

Sierra, on January 30, 2017 at 10:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

The past month I have thrown myself rather blindly into wedding planning and trying to figure out a budget, only to land flat on my bottom and feel nothing but lost and blind. Is there a trick out there I dont know about that to make wedding planning easy? I have begun thinking about finding a "wedding planning for dummies" book just so i can try and understand what feels like an alien world to me. Am I the only one???

8 Comments

Latest activity by Lisa, on February 3, 2017 at 07:12
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you need help with budgeting, looking up wedding budget templates. They already come formatted for you, you just have to put figures in and figure out what your budget should be. Or search for "examples of $30,000 wedding budget" "examples of $6000 wedding budget" etc etc. You can get some great examples, of cost averages etc .
    Also start looking at Pinterest to see what you like for wedding ideas and when you don't. You'll start to see a trend with what you like , and you start to see ideas and plans come together.

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another good website to sign up for their emails is Weddingbells! They had helpful articles and post real weddings so you can see what other people have done.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A book is not a bad idea....I did tons of pintrest and google searches to try to get some idea what I wanted. I went to the Wedding Fair in Calgary (which made me want to elope) I then started making spreadsheets and lists. I then started booking the things that were most important that book up first and I am going down the list. I took a break for Christmas and I need to get back at the booking things.

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Sierra, I agree with you on getting a book on wedding planning as I did the same thing as well. I also used the wedding wire app which has helped a lot and my best friend who is my Personal Bride Assistant has been a great help and guide through the process. I went to Chapters to buy my book which has great tips. Here is my post about the book I purchased:

https://www.weddingwire.ca/forums/wedding-planning-book-and-keepsake--t728
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Sierra! I think that feeling is totally normal! Smiley laugh When it happens, we get really excited then wonder where we should start and what we actually want. The thing is that there is no perfect guidebook to know about how to plan your wedding, because each and every one of them is unique. That's why it's good to have a place like the community where we can discuss what is really important to us and help each other find ways to get what we actually want. You can take a look at these discussions to start with:

You're engaged! Now what?

Checklist: Things to Do 12 months before the wedding

There is also this test you might like to help get an idea of you budget:

Tell me how's your wedding and I'll tell you how much it will cost

How are you paying for your wedding?

Let me know if this helps! Smiley heart

What do you feel like you need help with? Did you already find your venue?

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely recommend finding a few books on weddings to read! Even with my background in event planning, weddings are a whole different story! I went to my local used bookstore and stocked up on wedding books when we got engaged. (I literally bought like 10!) They're always so expensive in regular bookstores so it was much cheaper to get them used and then you can sell them back or donate them after the wedding to help someone else!

Also, signing up for wedding websites that post articles are really helpful! Especially since you have so much time before your wedding, you can read up on all the Do's and Don'ts so you can be ready for anything. I signed up for Brides.com's emails and they had lots of helpful articles with things like "5 Questions to Ask Your Photographer Before You Book Them" or "10 Things Not to Forget to Do on Your Wedding Day."

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I FEEL YOU. I haven't been part of any weddings before and don't remember much about the ones I went to. I have no idea what I'm doing but I need to figure it out soon I'm getting married in August. I don't even know where I want to get married yet lol
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are definitely not alone! But I think if you are feeling very lost, then finding a book would be a GREAT idea!! It's wonderful that you are looking into hosting your wedding properly rather than just flying blind. I love planning events/parties and thankfully have a few good friends that have been through this all before, that combined with these forums (and honestly peeking at the US Wedding Wire forums, those girls are a pretty harsh but really make you think about things you may be doing wrong sometimes) has been how I've made my way through planning!!

Is there anything in particular you are looking for help with? We'd love to help if you have an etiquette question, or planning questions, or budget help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics