Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

All about catering - How are you handling any allergies and special diets?

Joey, on May 6, 2019 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding reception 0 30

This week we're talking about food, glorious food! Finally, perhaps the trickiest part of catering a wedding is dealing with special dietary needs. Whether it's diets, allergies, kids menus, or other preferences, how will you be keeping track of special menus to make sure every one of your guests can enjoy your wedding meal?

All about catering - How are you handling any allergies and special diets? 1

Photo via Calgary Marriott Downtown Hotel in Calgary

I hope this little quiz has helped you come up with some fun ideas and inspiration for your wedding menu. For more food talk (if you're like me and can't get enough) check out -

Classing up your favourite foods for the wedding meal

What is your kids' meal option?
What's for breakfast (on your wedding day)?
Who will make the cake?

Or start over at the beginning of our big catering quiz

30 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on September 17, 2019 at 19:37
  • Danielle
    Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We don't have any vegetarians or anything but we do have someone who's allergic to shellfish, strawberries, and soy (FH's sister). Myself and one of my friends are lactose intolerant (he's also allergic to Lactaid so that's out for him).

We're having a wing bar, a poutine bar, and a smore's bar. I'm really not sure how we're going to handle allergies yet. Maybe ask the caterer for lactose-free cheese?

We're doing jam as our favours. We're giving everyone two jars (strawberry and blueberry, except FSIL will get 2 blueberry - and they'll be made on different weekends to avoid cross contamination).
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're going to have an area on the RSVP cards for people to let us know of anything dietary. Our venue is amazinggggg and they're going to do what they can to accommodate
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are making the coordinator aware of all allergies and telling people to let us know A.S.A.P. We are also not having any fish or shellfish on the menu as we have known allergies already. The venue/caterer is also willing to plate a few meals to help avoid cross-contamination.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since people are ordering off a menu they can choose what they are getting and if they have questions they can ask.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have made my coordinator aware of dietary restrictions. We have a kids menu, vegetarian, and vegan option. One of my cousins is lactose intolerant and is unable to eat red meat, so she eats vegan pretty regularly.

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had buffet style at our wedding and our caterer labelled all foods that contained nuts, dairy etc. And if someone was truly allergic to a bunch of stuff, we sent all their allergies to the kitchen a couple days before so that they can prepare something special.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our caterer is aware that there are a few allergies and restrictions, however the food will be served buffet style so it won’t be much of an issue. we will just ensure things are clearly labeled
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We only had 2 vegetation so it was fairly simple.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Winging it! Hahah! I know of a few restrictions (gluten intolerance, vegetarian, allergies to milk and sugar) We have such a vast assortment of food at our buffet so I'm just praying people with allergies will be able to find enough food! We will have tags on food to show what is Gluten Free, Dairy Free... etc! But that's about it!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Luckily no one had allergies or diets. Only vegetarians in the family.

• Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are using our website to know everyone's dietary needs, but our wedding is completely vegan which eliminates most of the allergies! Our caterers are also fantastic and are supplying a gluten free meal for one of our guests.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're asking for any food restrictions via our online RSVP tool. We, for sure, have a couple of vegetarians and celiacs. The venue has confirmed that there will be options for our guests.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue has been great for this. We have a guest who is fasting (he is muslim) the night of our wedding so they will be serving his food later on in the night. All of their dishes are easily made into a vegan option which is great for our guests as well Smiley smile

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll have a blurb on our RSVP to let guests know of any dietary restrictions/allergies/sensitivities. I already know who the vegetarians are on my side, but there will probably be others!

Our caterer is great for dealing with allergies/sensitivities, which was a key feature when looking for a caterer since I'm allergic to shellfish. We'll just need to provide a list along with final numbers a month out.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll ask guests on their RSVP card to pass on any dietary restrictions they have. We already know of a vegetarian, a few halal people and someone with a peanut allergy. We'll pass along this info to our venue/caterer and they'll accommodate.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m going to put a section on the RSVP for allergies or sensitivities. Guests can fill it in.

most people who have allergies or sensitivities we already know about so we have gluten free desserts ordered.
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We asked guests to let us know about any diets concerns. We didn't discuss this with catering yet, so I am hopeful that they have something to provide or they will be stuck with salad and veggies from the buffet or buying something to eat in town.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a spot on our RSVP cards for our guests to indicate any dietary requirements. And we'll be going from there with our seating chart and venue.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m gluten free and dairy free and so we based our menu off that- our venue actually had entrees made without gluten and dairy. We asked for signs on the food that indicated if they were gluten/dairy free
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think we have very many. We do have a vegetarian option. Both sides of our family are European, so food is not an issue to anyone
  • Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Luckily we don't really have any. But most of our stuff is pretty safe and will be a pick and choose buffet style.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We only have 2 guests with allergies so we informed the caterer and servers will know too (peanuts and shellfish) I don't think anything has those anyway.
    My brother's gf is a vegetarian so we made sure there was options of pizza for her, veggie and plain cheese as well as fruit and veggies plates for the cocktail hour and we will probably get a few veggie alternatives for the late night snack too.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're asking guests to let us know if they have any allergies or dietary restrictions, then we will provide a list to the venue, who will take care of it for us.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We gave a list to the hotel and they handled it
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are letting people know the menu ahead of time so if they can't or don't want to eat it then eat before you come or pack a sandwich!!

We already reached out to the caterer who told us what does and does not have gluten in it but other than that we really don't care.

There aren't many people with allergies and only people that are picky and/or don't eat meat - but there is other food there that doesn't contain meat so they can eat just that.

We even have one of my bridesmaids that is vegan so she will bring food to make for herself (we have cabins with kitchens in them).

• Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have celiac and we were lucky enough to score caterers who can make
    our entire wedding menu gluten free. (They offer dairy free as well). We also have two guests so are severely allergic to shellfish so we’re just opting to go without it. We’re doing a bbq style with lots of desserts as well Smiley smile
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know we have a number of people who have to be gluten free, I told the catering company right off bat want it all gluten free and they were able to do this. They said if any allergies arise during the RSVP stage to let them know. I did mention few random allergies his family has: my FH is highly allergic to grapes, his sister is oranges, sister kiwi's lol his family is allergic to random fruit.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is SO lucky! It must be fun to have so much freedom to be creative with your menu Smiley smile

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I asked the chef how he will go about it as we are possibly doing a buffet style. They will either do a plated service for those individuals free of charge or the meals will be modified to not have the allergins. All depends.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Luckily none of our guests have food allergies or special diets - we definately lucked out there!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics