Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Beginner June 2019 Ontario

Afternoon Wedding - dj or no Dj??

Amanda, on November 28, 2018 at 20:42 Posted in Wedding reception 0 12

We are getting married this June and having a Sunday afternoon wedding at a golf club near by. Our wedding ceremony is at 11:30am followed by lunch at 1:30pm, then a party to follow (estimated that most guests will be gone by 5:30pm). Currently our biggest decision has been, whether we should get a DJ or not?? Would be nice to save some money but we also don't wanna cheap out and have the party fail because the music didn't work out. What are most Sunday afternoon weddings doing ? If your not using a DJ is there any tips you can recommend? Thanks!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Tune Twisters, on December 17, 2018 at 20:49
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's great that you're so accommodating! Fantastic!
  • Samantha
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely get a DJ, I find they are a huge part of ceremony and reception!
  • Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely dj but I am a DIY
  • Amanda
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you to everyone for helping decide which route to go! Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had an evening wedding and skipped the DJ. We're not big dancers but the dance floor was pretty full for most of the evening. We had also planned on leaving around 10:00 so didn't need the dance to last much longer than that.

But, DJs are much better at feeling the crowd, knowing when to pump it up a bit, play more energetic songs. If you want a lively dance, hire a DJ. If you're okay with a more chill dance where people are off and on the dance floor, a playlist will work well.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saturday afternoon wedding here.
    Thought we would just do a playlist but like the vibe a DJ brings to the space.
    Maybe you can get a discount bc it’s a daytime gig.
  • Jasmine
    Newbie November 2018 Ontario
    Jasmine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

DJs have one giant advantage over DIY planlist, which is that they have a huge selection of music at their fingertips and can adjust to the mood of the crowd immediately. I will recommend to hire a budget DJ. My previous wedding studio offered me a great DJ at $200/hour, which was affordable for us and he did a great job on my big day.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Again, it would depend on your family/guests. If they are dancers/party-ers, it would probably be worthwhile to get a dj.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found a DJ that for 8 hours on a Saturday night is doing both the ceremony, and the reception, and MC-ing for $800... I'm sure you would be able to find a reasonably priced deal for a Sunday afternoon, just so someone else is worrying about all of the music stuff. They deal with interlude music while guests are arriving, all of the 'walking down the aisle' songs (groomsmen, bridesmaids, bride), recessional music, softer music during lunch, getting they party going afterwards...

I would say look into it... I think you may be surprised with the deals you could find, especially since it's not even 'prime time' (Saturday evenings).

• Dar
    Frequent user December 2018
    Dar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing a Saturday afternoon wedding and a DJ comes included in our package - otherwise it would just be a playlist and some speakers as it is a cocktail reception which doesn’t scream dance party to me. 😄
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Truth. If your family is rowdy, then get one. But if they aren't then you should be able to use a fair amount of speakers or rent some and just use a spotify playlist!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am using a DJ, but I have a family that is going to be on the dance floor all night! The real deciding factor is your family. The beauty of having a daytime wedding is there will likely be less dancing, and depending on your family it may be worth doing a Spotify playlist! For us it the DJ was worth it, because we know the man and I have family that will be on the dance floor all night- and I will be too. But if you have an early day wedding with a family who isn’t the kind of people who will dance like I have then it’s totally worth using a Spotify playlist! I’ve heard so much good from them and they’re so worth it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics