Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Advice for a happy marriage

Stephanie, on March 17, 2018 at 01:41 Posted in Before the wedding 0 13

I am going to a shower for a friend coming up and her mom wants to give her a little "advice book". Anyone receive any good advice? Advice to avoid?

Also, I found this article on advice from grade three students to their teacher in this book called "The Little Big Book for Brides" They were cute so I thought I'd share.

-You need to kiss every once in a while

-I think you should wear something beautiful

-Get Bunnies

-Take turns doing the chores

-When your husband's grumpy give him coffee

-To show you love each other, take the smallest cookie

-Mostly say yes (Like if you're going to have hot dogs for dinner and you really don't like hot dogs, it's okay to say no)

-Take breaks from each other every once in awhile

-Sleep together

-Do not marry another person

13 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on June 13, 2019 at 00:13
  • S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My grandparents hold hands as often as possible when they go out. I used that as the idea for my friend at her shower. Walk beside each other not in front or behind.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg those are so funny! Hmmm not sure i have any advice but don't be afraid to ask for help and don't expect him to do things that you haven't verbalized.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Advice for a long lasting marriage:

Always have good communication no matter how busy our lives get. Always find a way to work together on projects/making time for events to book off.

Love each other with respect as you respect yourself within from the start. Sometimes its hard when things occur in life or at work that we change the way we become and don't realize it, The stress, co-workers at work or friends that make us look at them differently. I went through this for some time at work and feel it should be something to say.

Happiness in the form of compromise to make things balance and you both on the same page to feel what needs done and when to plan date nights (dinner and movie) or outing someplace you both enjoy.

Most of all, support each others decision to make them a goal to reach. Work with each other as a team financially and physically when needed. This is what we are doing now coming close to 2 years in our marriage.

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My principals in our relationship are:

1 When there's something bothering me, doesn't matter how small it is, I initiate the conversation and settle it. Once it settled, never bring it out again in any future discussions, ever.

2. Never go to bed upset. You can't sleep off anger/problems.

3. Lots of kisses, hugs, "I love you", "thank you" and laughter on daily basis.

4. Everyone needs space. I don't have to know everything he's doing, all his phone calls and texts. If he wants to share something with me, he would tell me. When there's no trust, there's no relationship.

5. Relationship is not about being together all the time and joining hips. Let him hangout with his buddies as I also like to hangout with my girl friends on regular basis.

6. Tell him your boundary. Make it clear. I told him in the beginning of our relationship, if he ever did anything wrong, I would forgive him but there's only one thing he would never ever get second chance from me, which is cheating on me with another woman.

7. Respect. Treat your partner the way you want to be treated.

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with communication is key.
    Try to have conversation about how things are going in terms of your relationship. I know some couples loose track of each other. They loose their connection and tend to shy away their feelings. My FH and I always try new things that way it's exciting. And when we find things we love doubt together we keep it up. But we also give each other space and time for friends.
  • Danielle
    Curious November 2018 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Communication is key!

Keep the fights clean and the sex dirty (Luke Bryan)

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never go to bed angry! it helps in any relationship. Try to work things out or at least talk before bed. The longer the fight and dwelling makes it harder on relationship

• Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Take turns doing chores- lol i can't imagine my fiancee asking me to do an oil change while he does the dishes.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My favorite / funniest advice I've ever received is that the secret to a happy marriage is "two tvs and two bathrooms"! Smiley laugh

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lol "get bunnies" my favourite quote out of them all. Or "do not marry another person" hahaha they're too cute.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mum's only advice to us was "always communicate and love each other". I think it is simple and relevant to pretty much everyone. Any other advice may not work for everyone as each couple is different.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel the same way about marriage advice. Plus what works for some people doesn’t for others because each relationship is different. I might steal that line for my friends shower though because it’s pretty adaptable!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I live together and have for almost 2 years so people don't give us marriage advice because in their eyes we kind of are (commonlaw). But I've actually told people I don't want marriage or love advice because a huge part of all of it is figuring things out and learning your self. However, my fiance and I just moved to BC from Ontario and his bestmans mom gave me the cutest advice last night. She said, "Take your time, be patient with each other, and never stop loving the heck out of each other!" Given our current situation of being in a new province with now friends or family and having to start our lives up again it was the best advice we could ever get.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics