Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Acting Natural and Comfortable in Front of the Camera

Holly, on February 19, 2018 at 17:24 Posted in Beauty 0 12
Hello all! *Not really wedding related but I trust all of your advice!*

So I had my engagement photos done a couple months ago and as much as they did turn out beautifully I really really struggled relaxing and acting natural in the photos and I could tell in the photos once she sent them to me. When I looked at them I noticed I almost never use a natural smile, and I looked super posed because if how uncomfortable I felt.

About a week ago a local photographer and make-up artist (who I want to hire for my wedding) posted a contest for Valentine's Day. Winner gets a full photoshoot as well as full make-up and a cute gift basket. Well today they announced that I won! So I'm seeing this as my opportunity to redeem myself and hopefully get some "acting natural/comfortable" in photos practice and I also get to text out the make-up artist!

So my question for you is do you have an tips or advice on how I can do this? I recently have been struggling with confidence (body and self-esteem) but I'm trying my hardest to overcome it all. So if anyone have any advice and tips on being comfortable and natural infront of the camera I would absolutely appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on February 21, 2018 at 11:04
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those are great! My whiskey face is pure gold so if our photographer got that..yikes lol
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome! I think the clask honestly really helped me! Annnnnd we used it in a couple of our photos as a prop because we are big whiskey drinkers and are well known to have flasks on us anytime us have a bonfire or go camping haha. And they turned out super cute.

But dont take big gulps or you end up with more awkward photos...

Acting Natural and Comfortable in Front of the Camera 1

Acting Natural and Comfortable in Front of the Camera 2
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Okay..that is an awesome picture! (Side note, love location, I'm super tempted to hire a photographer in BC to do another engagement shoot because how beautiful it is there) and the flask idea is pure genius and I'm totally doing that lol
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats! That is exciting!

I totally understand feeling awkward in front of the camera.... When my photographer told me to 'act normal' this happened...

We were able to relax by talking the whole time and telling jokes. And laughing at how many times i tripped in the long grass or made stupid faces. Most of the photos our ohotographer took right before or after we started laughing and they came out very natural looking.

The other thing we did... We took a flask of whiskey with us Smiley winking and it was alllll gone by the time the shoot was over haha. So im sure that helped us be a bit less self concious!

Acting Natural and Comfortable in Front of the Camera 3
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! And yes I've seen that episode lol also my fiance will be apart of the shoot as it is a couple's shoot! But he NEVER smiles..so you have me who always looks fake then him that's not even smiling lol.. we manage sometimes and I'm going to talk to this photographer as well as the wedding photographer and see what tips they have for me. And yes wedding day will be all happy natural smiles!
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First of all - congrats on your awesome prize Holly - that's amazing!

Have you ever seen the episode of Friends where Monica and Chandler are getting engagement photos done? If not, google it immediately. If yes, that is my wonderful FH 100% - can't smile naturally in a photo to save his life, bless his heart.

Honestly though we kind of went through the same things with our engagement photos a few weeks ago. There were a lot of photos that were great but looking back on the entirety of it I surprised how many looked fake so this is also something that we have to work on. The photos that look genuine in are shoot are usually the ones before or after you can tell we were laughing.

It's great you have another time to "practice" although it may be tough without you FH there to make you laugh. I would say be open with the photographer up front and let them know you're afraid of looking fake or unnatural and hopefully they will have some suggestions. Also, maybe have a lineup of things in your head that make you happy (FH, a pet, childhood memory, favourite song, etc) and practice thinking of them - I bet they'll make you smile

Also, I know it sounds silly but I imagine our wedding days are going to be a lot different because of all the magic of the day - it will be easy to smile!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do the same thing, but end up looking like a serial killer lol. My plan is to do as few "posed" photos as possible and the rest will be photojournalistic - capturing moments that aren't staged like interacting with the wedding party, family, FH, etc. My main problem is knowing I have to pose, so I try and pretend that the photographer is not there and take a deep breath before. My fiance also suggested making me laugh (not too hard) before the shot so my smile is genuine.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We already have our wedding photographer and we love her and she did get me comfortable and hose photos turned out amazing! But for some reason I always end up back to my awkward fake smile and looking uncomfortable..
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel you on the fiance not wanting to smile things however mine doesn't react like yours lol
    Our wedding photographer is amazing and she did get a few natural candids of us that I absolutely adored! But I find myself always going back to the same fake smile and awkward pose..and I worked as a photographer when I was in college so I thought I'd be fine but clearly I belong on the other side of the camera! This time it will be a different photographer that I've never worked with and she does lots model shoots so that's intimidating!
    Maybe you'll get some good tips and advice from this post too!! Goodluck!!!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do believe that a good photographer will know what to do to make you comfortable in front of the camera! It's worth asking them for tips. Especially if you're thinking of booking them - the last thing you want is an intimidating photographer pointing a camera at you with no direction.

• Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry, I'm in the same boat as you but for a different reason... So I can't offer suggestions but I can empathize!
    My fiance HATES getting pictures done, like... Gets viscerally angry if told to smile. He okayed a photographer because "we should have pictures" but I'm terrified of him throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of our day (YES... I'm talking about a fully grown man...)
    My photographer did mention that she tends to get the couple's talking and interacting and getting a natural photo has never been a real issue. So maybe that's a strategy to discuss with your photographer?
    Sorry I'm not more help!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    **Side note** I also have absolutely no idea what to wear lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics