Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

5 ways to ask for money instead of a gift

Emilie, on October 27, 2016 at 09:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 8

Hi wonderful brides Smiley heart

There's been discussions lately about whether you can ask your guests for money instead of gifts... and my answer is yes! But there's a way to ask for it. Smiley winking

Which one is your favourite?

Wishing Well

Nicely Asked Wishing Well

Asking for a wishing well

Nice word to ask for wishing well

Wishing Well Poem

Which wording would you use for your wishing well?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 23, 2019 at 11:24
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to many weddings and typically DO NOT see gifts being brought anymore. Its usually just a card with Cash now.

That being said, I do see a lot of gifts being given at a Bridal shower, if you do plan to have one of those, i would suggest something like you have attached above.

Otherwise, just mention on your Invitation *Please no boxed Gifts* - I don't think anyone would take that the wrong way.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the options shown for monetary gifts. They seem an extra card to send. The invitation itself had a note on the bottom indicating a simple phrase to all our guests NO BOXED GIFTS PLEASE.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love it Laura!! Smiley heart It's very creative and we all definitely need a bit of sun, especially in the winter!!

I also made these posts about asking guests to contribute to a honeymoon fund:

5 ways to ask for a Honeymoon Fund

Yours is spot on! What type of card box or wishing will you have to collect the funds?

You could have someting like this? Smiley smile

Honeymoon Fund Card Box

How do you like the idea? Smiley smile

• Maly
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love the one about robbing a bank!! Hahaha!! Brilliant to add humor! Because apparently it's frowned upon to ask for money. Smiley sad
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that a honeymoon fund is a great idea! Something I am hearing more and more of now-a-days! My fiance and I have been living together for 5 years and have all the household items we need for right now! Money is just more realistic for us as we wont have anymore room for household items! I like the little wedding registry rhyming poem that you used!

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like number 1 as it is well worded. I know in Manitoba and from past experience some people will mark on the invitation "presentation preferred" which I don't see anything wrong with this. I do like the money poem or wishing well format enclosures for the wedding invitation. Smiley smile
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were already planning something like this because we don't really need anything. We are both over 40 with great jobs, and we had fully functioning households before we moved in together so we have been getting rid of things and downsizing for the past couple of years and while the thought of running rampant through my favourite stores with the scanner gun to replace everything in my house it isn't really necessary or practical. I really liked this one and think we might use it, we are also considering setting up a honeymoon registry:

We’ve been together quite a while,

with all our pots and pans.

And as we don’t need homely gifts

we have another plan!

We know it’s not traditional

and not the way it’s done:

But rather than a wedding list

we’d love a bit of sun!

So if you would like to give a gift

and send us on our way

A donation to our honeymoon

would really make our day!

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really like options 1,3, and 5! They are also very helpful to me so I know different ways of hinting at the idea of getting money vs a gift at my wedding! Thank you for this post Emilie, much appreciated!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics