Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kimberly
Frequent user July 2020 Ontario

2021 wedding reception

Kimberly, on July 26, 2020 at 10:15 Posted in Wedding reception 4 24
So we got married this year on July 18 but we only did a ceremony. Next year we plan on doing a reception. Wondering if anyone is doing a similar event and if so I’d love to chat. My thoughts were so you do a small vow renewal or just do dinner and dancing and a cocktail before?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Ehjae, on August 4, 2020 at 10:55
  • Ehjae
    Newbie August 2022 Alberta
    Ehjae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we can't swing it this year, but we're going to do a big celebration next year to make up for it!

• Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married on the 15th of this month in a smaller ceremony and doing vow renewals in the church on August 14, 2021. We are also having our reception next year as planned as well.

It's nice to know so many other brides are doing the same thing. Im still glad we are getting married this year, plus not many brides get to wear their gowns twice! Haha
  • Anna
    Newbie July 2021 Saskatchewan
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're looking at doing the same thing with a bit of a twist! There are 3 couples in our circle of friends who got married between May and one more at the end of August. We're planning to throw a group reception and a bit of a party next year. We all have a lot of mutual friends which will cut down on cost for all of us too!

• Rebecca
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing the same - but I’m September!
    Honestly I’m really excited for it! I’ve never been one for vow renewals so ours will just be a cocktail, dinner and dancing event.
  • Kimberly
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Idk where your located but honestly if your sad about your dad not coming I would look at a park or outdoor wedding where you could have your parents with you at least. I just know we had so many family and close friends that were so sad they couldn’t come and I know it won’t be the same as this year but imma do my best to make everyone feel like it’s a real wedding
  • Ehjae
    Newbie August 2022 Alberta
    Ehjae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're also doing this- but we are eloping so no family at the ceremony. My nieces are heartbroken about not being able to be flower girls and I'm a bit sad about not having my dad walk me down the aisle, so I'm considering doing something next year. I'm glad you started this thread, I've been wondering if it's weird to have a ceremony with our celebration next year and it's nice to know that I'm not alone in considering it!

• K
    Newbie October 2021 Alberta
    Karla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our officiant has been amazing and is doing both as well as having a fake document for us to sign again next year to keep the experience the same for all the guest.

• Amanda
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds good, congratulations 🥳
  • Kimberly
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our family could come as we all live fairly close that wasn’t an issue for us. But we had to cut around 100 people which was super hard but we also didn’t want to postpone our life because of your wedding
  • Amanda
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I thought of doing a wedding this year and reception next year but I won’t feel it as a wedding so I decided to move everything to next year , my family can’t come into the country because the borders are close, so it’s pointless
  • Kimberly
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ours would be outdoor as we are having it on my family farm. So it’s easier especially if there are still restrictions.
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats! We're going to have a vow renewal at our reception next year. I like the idea of a slideshow showing photos from the actual wedding. I'm sort of torn what an April reception will look like next year, and when I should start letting everyone know about what's happening. I feel like things change so quickly, and who knows what this fall/winter will hold. I'd love to hear if you're having your reception outside or inside next year!

• Kate-Lynn
    Frequent user October 2022 Manitoba
    Kate-Lynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the ceremony this year. We are doing the ceremony and reception next year with renewing our vows at the ceremony next year.
  • Kimberly
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a super good idea and it’s neat that you can always watch it
  • Jennifer
    Newbie May 2021 Quebec
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing the same. We are getting married in Oct with just our parents, and then the reception in May. We are thinking of doing a vow renewal, and showing a video/slideshow of our initial wedding to our guests.
  • Kimberly
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s my worry!we got married July 18 this year and will do a reception july 17 2021 . And I I’m wearing my dress again too! But I just want to mKe sure if feels like a weddi Nd and not just a party
  • Tianna
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Tianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are from different countries so considering our families can’t travel right now, we are doing a private ceremony on our own in October this year and 2 separate receptions (more so just parties) next year. One in Canada and one in Australia. To keep budget down, the Australian reception will be in my family home’s backyard. Lots of dancing, food & maybe some speeches!

The hardest part was figuring out how to make it feel like a wedding reception if the dates were so far apart but it can be done! And I can wear my wedding dress more than once!!
  • D
    Newbie July 2021 Quebec
    Deborah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nous aussi on s'est marié cette année, mais on fais une cérémonie l'année prochaine avec toute la famille, il y aura la robe de marié, le gâteau, la danse ect... On a décidé que durant la cérémonie nos parents allaient dire un mot et qu'à la fin on allait prendre un pot maçon chacun avec du sable d'une couleur différente et qu'au centre il y aura un autre pot maçon pour verser le sable dedans.

• Felicity
    Newbie October 2020 British Columbia
    Felicity ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were going to do that but the reality is as just want to be married and once we are, there is really no reason for us to put out more money next year so people can come party. It's just not a big deal for us and we dont see a reason why we need to have a party for other people when a wedding is supposed to be about us joining OUR lives.
    So we decided just to have a small wedding in October despite the restrictions.
  • Matthew
    Matthew ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice. We're lucky to have her parents cottage where we're doing the same.

• Kimberly
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We basically did the same thing just immediate family this year for our ceremony and then had a campfire.
  • Kailey
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Kailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey we were supposed to have our wedding July 18th with covid we postponed the wedding but decided to still legally get married with our parents and siblings which I am so happy we did. We didn't tell anyone else that we have already signed papers so next year we will do exactly what we had planned. Our officiant has been amazing and is doing both as well as having a fake document for us to sign again next year to keep the experience the same for all the guest. Our families were very excited about us finally announcing that we were getting married (been together over 12 years now) so we wanted the experience to be as it should have been without this pandemic.

I think it's completely up to you how you want it to go you can do a vow renewal or the wedding you original planned with everyone there the way it would have been. As long as you and your husband are happy with the plan than don't worry about what everyone else thinks.
  • Matthew
    Matthew ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancee and I are in the midst of finally planning the dual celebrations.

For our guests, we're stating the events as so:
    This year: Wedding
    Next year: Marriage Celebration

I like the idea of a vowel renewal, although we'll likely forgo some formalities like walking down the aisle. For clarity, this year we'll have our parents, her sibling, and then our wedding party and their significant others (22 all in. So for me, I'm less inclined to recreate that moment for another group of people, but with the exception of a tweaked ceremony everything next year will be as was originally planned.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Kimberly, congratulations on getting married! I'm seeing a lot of people here going the ceremony only/elopement route this year with the bigger reception in the future. From what I see here, a lot of people are recreating a ceremony type event as a vow renewal to give guests the same feeling as attending a ceremony. I think it'll depend on the size of your attendance. Up until a few weeks ago, weddings were 10 people max but now that people are having 100 people outdoor ceremonies, they may not need a full ceremony reenactment.

A friend of mine had a virtual wedding with only witnesses and no family but everyone was able to watch through a screen. She's only doing a cocktail celebration for the future instead of a full sit down dinner. Her marriage took place in a Catholic church so redoing a ceremony is kinda iffy since they have so many rules.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics