Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Christina
Curious August 2022 Ontario

2021 planning

Christina, on July 13, 2020 at 12:12 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 18
For couples getting married in 2021, are you still forging ahead with the planning and booking of vendors? Or are you waiting a few months until COVID calms down? We have our venue booked and are eyeing several vendors, my concern is that some may go bankrupt before next year as many businesses are closing due to the pandemic and we don’t want to be at risk of losing deposits. Thoughts? We would appreciate any insight Smiley winking

18 Comments

Latest activity by Christina, on July 15, 2020 at 10:41
  • Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same here. We pay in cash or e-transfer a lot so I didn’t even think about the credit card protections and paper trail. I’m sure the transparency with vendors and written conversations have helped to clear things up. Moving forward I think we will be a bit more proactive with using credit
  • Melanie
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This thread is making me nervous I mostly used e transfer and not credit card! It honestly didn’t even occur to me because e transfer is so widely used and easy, especially with Covid. I did have that “what if we need to cancel/postpone” conversation (mostly in writing) with my vendors though and all had answers I was happy with.
  • Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! It seems the general consensus is go ahead and book but pay by card. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate all the advice!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Covid isn't going to scare vendors to go bankrupt. They are being cautious at this time and still being there for thier clients.
    I too paid by credit card or e-transfers that would be returned easily.
  • Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome your vendors were so good about postponing or returning deposits if they couldn’t accommodate the new date. I agree with a lot of the comments that we should move ahead and lock things in soon. Thanks and best of luck with your wedding!
  • Taylor
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would book what you can because vendors go so quickly. However, a conversation with them about COVID and what your options will be IF the wedding has to postponed is a really great idea. Some may even write a stipulation in to the contract. I know in my area, vendors have been amazing (I had to postpone my wedding to 2021, and I only lost 2 vendors and both gave me my deposit back).

Good luck! Smiley smile

• Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow I didn’t know that! Good looking out!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It won't cover covid related cancellations but for example, if a facility/vendor declares bankruptcy like Destiny Banquet Hall or Tuxedo Royale last year, you can make a claim to recoup those costs.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course! And if you can pay with your credit card as much as possible. That way you can keep a record of it

• Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a good idea to pay by credit card and make sure we have that record! I don’t think wedding insurance will cover postponements or extra costs due to the pandemic will they?
  • Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I’m a bit concerned the vendors I prefer will be booked all up by then so I’m not sure if we should pull the trigger and drop deposits or not. I think you’re right and it’s best to move ahead and make sure we have protocol for postponement clearly addressed in the contracts. Thanks so much I really appreciate it!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would personally book as much as you can just because everyone is filling up dates fast with couples having to switch and for couples that were already looking at getting married in 2021.

My fiance and I postponed our August 8th wedding to August 2021 back in May. And when we did most places were already filled up. We're just lucky that we had spoken to all of vendors and venue back in April and picked out an alternative date just in case. So when the time did come to postpone our original date, we had a secure second date.

I would make sure when you do sign contracts and give deposits, that there's somewhere in your clause saying that you can switch to another date at no additional cost and that your deposits are good for the switch as well

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The few people here that got screwed by Destiny Banquet Hall mentioned they paid by cash because they got a deal. It's not worth it. Pay by credit card so if anything happens, you can call the bank to dispute the charge. The tiny bit of savings you get is not worth the potential risk. I also suggest wedding insurance.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Also make this clear to your photographer.... from what I hear from other people (myself included) photographers are the ones that are being most difficult especially trying to add additional fees for rescheduling. There are many photographers/videographers that won’t charge you to re-schedule based on circumstances so keep this in mind Smiley smile
  • Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my goodness’s such a good point!
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you do end up booking, make sure you put a clause in your contract in the event you may have to re-schedule. But here’s to hoping that Covid is long gone by then.
  • Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the reply. Yes we are hearing of venues on the verge of bankruptcy, and I’m worries about the smaller vendors like decor and flowers and such having a harder time. Hopefully in stage 3 we will have a better idea Smiley smile
  • Tara
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Tara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are waiting a bit. We haven't even booked our venue yet. I heard Destiny Banquet Hall went bankrupt, so I feel it's best to wait a bit. And hope that dates are still available after. My hours at work have been cut, and my fiance is finally back at work. I am hoping once they announce what will be open in stage 3, and Ontario moves to stage 3 we can start planning.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics