Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

10 things you don't want to forget about your reception - How will you greet each guest?

Joey, on April 8, 2019 at 09:29 Posted in Wedding reception 0 43

The age-old reception debate: will you have a receiving line to ensure you can welcome each guest personally, or will you go table-to-table to have your special moment with everyone?

How will you greet each guest? Receiving line or table visits?

10 things you don't want to forget about your reception - How will you greet each guest? 1

Photo by Daniel Ricci Wedding Photography in Niagara Falls

>>Click here to go to the next question, Will you give a thank you speech?

>>Click here to return to the start of 10 things you don't want to forget...

43 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly, on October 5, 2019 at 07:47
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re planning on having a receiving line but I also want to do table visits
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we will mingle during cocktail hour and reception. We are doing first look pictures so hopefully that will free up some time. We have a guest list of slightly under 100 so who knows how many will even come. May not be too hard.
  • Andrea
    Devoted January 2021 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll probably do table to table!

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure. I will probably just mingle with everyone during the reception.

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With only 60 we will probably do a receiving line after the ceremony that way we aren't interfering with dinner and dancing.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did table visits.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No receiving line.. we will mingle and thank everyone for coming

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Table visit. I personally don't like the idea of a receiving line.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We'll be visiting/mingling with our guests all night as we are having 95 ppl and it's cocktail reception style, we should be able to say hi and thank you to everyone.

• Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Table to table during reception, plus were having a smallish wedding so I'll see quite a few people the night before and during the day
  • Summer
    Devoted May 2019 Ontario
    Summer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Table to table during reception
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted to do a receiving line but we just won't have any time for this the day of so we will be going around to the tables during dinner.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our way of greeting guests was by going to each table personally seeing everyone was enjoying and they all said it was great and beautiful as well as the food and whole outlook. Pictures were also taken by our photographer.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Will have about 30 min during cocktail hour to mingle and then we will go table to table as best as we can! No formal receiving line!

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Probably table to table.

• Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will probably go from table to table and chat with the guests individually at the reception.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will not have a receiving line... I hate that so much. We will say hello to our guests when we get to the reception

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ll probably go from table to table. We don’t really want to do a receiving line as we have to go out and do our photos
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will just make time to speak with each guest individually. I'm not a fan of receiving lines
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Don't get worked up. There is absolutely no attitude? Not sure how you read my comment but please don't go assuming I'm hitting you with attitude. I'm not here to have drama, thank you.
    I never said anything in the way of a receiving lines being what you should do, I also do not like them. If you had read my original comment you'd see that we are seeing each guest personally because I also agree that receiving lines are not personal. I said I think it's important to greet each guest and having a plan is a good idea so that you're not bombarded while you're trying to enjoy your wedding. But yes, you do what works for you.. 😊
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll probably be doing table visits during the cocktail hour! That way it doesn't cut into dinner or dance time! Smiley laugh

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be going around tables! I am not a fan of a receiving line.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Why the attitude? i think waiting in line to say a formal hello to each individual guest is ridiculous and less personal. i didn’t say i wouldn’t greet each guest. i’ll do what works for me, and you do what works for you. Our weddings should be about what we want. i’m sure there’s plenty about my wedding that you wouldn’t choose, and vice versa. but i’ll do what works for me.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's definitely not ridiculous. Your guests took time out of their lives to come celebrate your special day the least you can do is just walk up to them say hello thanks for being here and a hug maybe. Takes a few seconds. Doing this also helps prevent being stopped and talked to 100 times during the dancing so you can just enjoy yourself.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends. If we finish photos early enough we may go join our guests will wine and appetizers but I doubt that will happen so we will just make our way around during dinner. Just a quick hi and hug maybe a short catch up with our friends we haven't seen in a while. We are coming from BC to Ontario so 99% of the guests we haven't seen in well over a year since we moved. We will try to make the stops quick but that's definitely not a guarantee.
  • Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be going table to table to greet each guest in between courses and speeches. It will be super busy as we have 13 tables to visit, but I think we will be able to manage it!

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're only having about 40 guests, so we'll just make sure to chat with all of them thorugh the evening

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Completely reasonable and that sounds like it works for your wedding then for sure.

For us he has a lot of family coming from Ontario that he hasn't had a chance to see in a few years, and I have never met. And on the flip side he hasn't met some of my great aunts and etc. So for us it is important to go greet people and have more personal visits. But we plan on circling around together to greet everyone just after dinner... and then getting the party started!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be trying to visit every table during dinner, before speeches.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had taken pictures with all our guests after the ceremony. And we went around to each table during the reception.
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only have 22 guests at my wedding and we are all sitting at a family style table. This will make it super easy to greet everyone!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I won’t be having anyone at my wedding who I haven’t met. After pictures and everything, i’ll have seen and spoken to all my family and then by the time we get to the reception, it’ll be party time! My main priority for my reception is that it’s going to be fun for everyone, including me and my FH! i hate going to weddings and just seeing the bride and groom spending time apart from each other chatting with guests. biggest pet peeve. i want everyone to celebrate with me and my new husband!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics